So much for the bad economy

We wanted to book the Mariner on April 11, 2010 but had to switch our dates to a week later. All balcony cabins, with the exception of the Owners Suites (I could only wish!), are sold out!

We had to book the following week. I was surprised:eek:

I stopped into my TA's office the other day and it was packed. People sitting with every agent (4 or 5) and people waiting in the waiting area. to say the least I just grabbed the brochure I wanted and left. She called me later in the day (agent for 10 years) and she said the lousy media reports are helping....everyone comes in say they need to get away from all the doom and gloom. LOL:D

I tell ya', it's the "Oprah Effect". If Oprah announces she's taking her staff on a cruise, then boy oh boy it's good to own a cruise ship. The mere mention of something on her show is golden.

I do believe it is the summer season. My December cruise still has a good deal of availability on it:rolleyes:

Even my Enchantment cruise over Labor Day is only half full, many cabins available in every category. I guess it depends on the ship and the fact that school gets back into session then.

I was thinking the same thing about the economy as I sailed on the Freedom last week. The ship was packed. It was so refreshing to see happy people having so much fun. Lots of young families with young children, too. Just so nice to get away from the constant doom and gloom on TV.

My July cruise on the Liberty (likely the same as the OP's) shows interior rooms as being sold out, and $2,500 pp for an outside. :eek: Not shocking for a July cruise, but still.. Glad I was paying attention and got a $300 pp price drop early on. Looks like we'll be sailing full.

As has been mentioned on here before, take a look at the summer Mariner cruises. They are going for next to nothing! When we originally booked the prices were close to sailings out of FL, now no comparison and it looks like the ship is only at about 60 - 65% capacity :eek:. We will take the lower fare and the emptier ship any day.

Maybe with the tough economy, people are starting to realize the value in cruising. Often you can get a 7nt cruise under $700.00 p/p. When you factor in that it includes lodging, food, transportation to the islands, and entertainment, it's tough to beat.

We wanted to book the Mariner on April 11, 2010 but had to switch our dates to a week later. All balcony cabins, with the exception of the Owners Suites (I could only wish!), are sold out!

We had to book the following week. I was surprised:eek:

That week of April 11 is Easter break and possibly Passover. Most of the schools (here in NY) are closed for 10 days. That could be the reason for sold out cabins.

As has been mentioned on here before, take a look at the summer Mariner cruises. They are going for next to nothing! When we originally booked the prices were close to sailings out of FL, now no comparison and it looks like the ship is only at about 60 - 65% capacity :eek:. We will take the lower fare and the emptier ship any day.

There's a reason they're soooo cheap. Supply and demand says many believe Mexico is not a very exciting destination... except for the gun battles between drug warlords and the Mexican police/military (6300 killed last year.) If Mexico were more desirable, the price elasticity of demand would dictate higher fares. It's a notorious booze cruise... similar to the East coast booze cruises to Bermuda and Bahamas. It's a stretch to compare Mexico to most anywhere, IMO.

There's a reason they're soooo cheap. Supply and demand says many believe Mexico is not a very exciting destination... except for the gun battles between drug warlords and the Mexican police/military (6300 killed last year.) If Mexico were more desirable, the price elasticity of demand would dictate higher fares. It's a notorious booze cruise... similar to the East coast booze cruises to Bermuda and Bahamas. It's a stretch to compare Mexico to most anywhere, IMO.

the Bermuda cruise is no where near a booze cruise. Maybe the Bahamas ones but don't lump Bermuda in there.

The violence is way far away from the tourist areas, so your assumptions are way off.

The violence is way far away from the tourist areas, so your assumptions are way off.

Hmmm... maybe I misinterpreted the pictures of the Mexican military in the streets of Cancun with automatic rifles... or better yet, the 50 grenades exchanged recently in the tourist hotel area with drug lords. I'm sure you're more aware of the situation than me in Mexico. Heck, I only live 50 miles north of the border and I'm certain our local podunk papers are no comparison! :)

I can't begin to relate how many friends and acquaintances have been held up south of the border. Either you pay the bribe or you enjoy a few nights in a Mexican jail. Woo-hoo! Sounds like a fabulous vacation destination!

Hmmm... maybe I misinterpreted the pictures of the Mexican military in the streets of Cancun with automatic rifles... or better yet, the 50 grenades exchanged recently in the tourist hotel area with drug lords. I'm sure you're more aware of the situation than me in Mexico. Heck, I only live 50 miles north of the border and I'm certain our local podunk papers are no comparison! :)

I can't begin to relate how many friends and acquaintances have been held up south of the border. Either you pay the bribe or you enjoy a few nights in a Mexican jail. Woo-hoo! Sounds like a fabulous vacation destination!

So there are issues in Cabo? Nope, Puerto Vallarta, Nope, Cancun, nope a couple thousand miles away from the the Mariner route. So none of this should be affecting the sales of the Mariner.

I have been to Cancun several times in the last few months and it was beautiful, peaceful and can't wait to go back again.

So there are issues in Cabo? Nope, Puerto Vallarta, Nope, Cancun, nope a couple thousand miles away from the the Mariner route. So none of this should be affecting the sales of the Mariner.

I have been to Cancun several times in the last few months and it was beautiful, peaceful and can't wait to go back again.

Google search is your buddy TBS. Amazing how I'm clueless... yet I've been to 70+ countries. :rolleyes:

Google search is your buddy TBS. Amazing how I'm clueless... yet I've been to 70+ countries. :rolleyes:

Ah, what are you talking about? You believe what you read and I will believe my own eyes and experiences. Have a nice cruise where ever you go!!!

I just think the media has blown the economy way out of proportion overall. I don't know anyone who has lost their job or has lost income. And, I'm not just talking here in the No. VA areas which is pretty immune to the job losses. I have friends and family all across the country and they're all currently employed and all say they're in good shape overall. Is my home or 401K worth what it was 2-3 years ago? No, but the housing market was bound to adjust and we have years til we retire. The average age of cruisers in somewhere in the 40-50 year old range which is also the highest earning age group. And, retirees who listened to their financial planners didn't have too much in stocks to begin with so they're protected somewhat. Families with two incomes have the disposable income to travel and they are.

TBS, there are currently plenty of warnings about travel to TOURIST areas in Mexico, so don't be so sure you know it all. I also work for the Federal Gov and we have been warned because of actual events. Just check the State Dept website for travel advisories.

Ah, what are you talking about?

Drug Violence Takes Toll on Cancun Tourism

http://banderasnews.com/0902/to-tolloncancun.htm

This one took about 5 milliseconds to retrieve in a Google search. Do you not understand how to perform a search or do you simply dismiss the hundreds of results? :confused: Either way, enjoy whichever vacation destination you choose.

Drug Violence Takes Toll on Cancun Tourism

http://banderasnews.com/0902/to-tolloncancun.htm

This one took about 5 milliseconds to retrieve in a Google search. Do you not understand how to perform a search or do you simply dismiss the hundreds of results? :confused: Either way, enjoy whichever vacation destination you choose.

I am so glad that you mastered Google, that article is from February, I like my news current and relevant.:rolleyes: Maybe you should read all the links before you throw one in someones face, this was on the same page http://banderasnews.com/0902/to-travelstillsafe.htm . this is a quote from the article Travelers should be aware that the most noteworthy crimes are taking place in border towns including Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez and the city of Chihuahua. The most popular tourist destinations, including Cancun, the Riviera Maya, Los Cabos, and Puerto Vallarta, remain safe for visitors. No one is forcing you or anyone else to go to Mexico, but anything going on in Cancun has nothing to do with the Mariner and that is the statement that you made that I was disputing, along with your statement that Bermuda was a booze cruise.

Have fun, whatever cruise or where ever you choose to vacation.

Back to the Original Thread!

I was on the Jewel in Jan 09 ( 11 nite Panama Canal)...Ship had 450 less pax than capacity

On Explorer April 26-May 9.(13 nite Eastern Caribbean).....565 less pax than capacity

On Adventure June 7-14 ( 7 nite Eastern Caribbean)....cabins available up until 1 week before departure

On Adventure June 14-21 ( 7 nite Southern Caribbean) many cabins available up until 1 week befoe depature..including Suites

Pennsylvania is not one of the Top States with higher Unemployment statistics, there are many people out of work here, some streets have 5 houses on a street with no residents employed in the household.

I also noticed on my June Cruises, many of the Bar Servers on the Pool deck were walking around with Empty Trays.

IMO ....some people may be using Plastic to enjoy vacations, others can still budget to fit one in, a lot cut back on spending onboard or excursions, whatever way they choose....it's A Great Vacation!

Archived