Evening dining on Viking Danube cruise

wdwmickey

Help...how casual is casual? Hubby only wants to take dark jeans, I think slacks would be more appropriate for dinner in the dining room. Can anyone help? Are dark jeans acceptable? And before you ask, he won't wear a suit for formal nights on an ocean cruise either. Thank you

We went on a Danube cruise about 3 years ago, and most nights everyone was wearing jeans and a nice shirt or sweater (This was in December). There is one semi-dress up night, and many did wear dresses (For the ladies) or dress pants, but there were a few people in jeans. Any chance he would wear Dockers? If not, just let him wear the jeans.

We went on a Danube cruise about 3 years ago, and most nights everyone was wearing jeans and a nice shirt or sweater (This was in December). There is one semi-dress up night, and many did wear dresses (For the ladies) or dress pants, but there were a few people in jeans. Any chance he would wear Dockers? If not, just let him wear the jeans.

Thank you. I have convinced him that he should pack a pair of dress slacks.

On Viking Ingvi last month, DH packed 2 pair of dark docker type pants and jeans. He wore a polo or collared shirt at dinner - shorts at lunch.

Like previous poster, we had everything from jeans to suits. In the evening port talk the first night, the hotel manager made a comment about preferring men to wearing "shirts with sleeves" at dinner. :)

dockers (khakis) are lighter (weight) than any jeans I own ... I like my bags to be as light as they can be .... (fold smaller too)

dockers and a polo is about as dressed up as I saw on our last VIKING River ... unless it was a chilly night, then some men pulled out the sport coat they'd packed 'just in case' ... and often it moved to the Mrs .....

One night we had a/c issues and many in the MDR were in shorts ....

This is the official position - "...recommended evening dress is “elegant casual” such as a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse for ladies; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. Ties and jackets are optional."

I always have a small number of 'collared shirts' with me but depending on the weather they don't always get used.

It also varies by destination, not many collared shirts in evidence while cruising down the Mekong for example...

On our Rhine cruise last year my husband wore jeans a couple of times with a polo. Most times he wore dockers and a polo. I didn’t see any men in suits - not even a jacket, but we had hot weather at the end of August.

I mostly wore black pants and LL Bean t-shirts with a scarf or necklace. I’d wear those t-shirts again during the day with shorts or a short skirt. It was very hot. I made the tops do double duty.

Sent from my iPad using Forums