Ricky's Tours in Hilo....

RoperDK

We were leaning towards using Ricky's Tours in Hilo instead of renting a car. I went to Trip Advisor to see how they were reviewed and not a peep. It's like they don't exist. :eek: I remember seeing good reviews of them on Cruise Critic. So, for those of you who have toured with them recently, how did you like them? Were they prompt? Meet you at the dock? Get you back in plenty of time? I remember that the tours were in vans, not buses. Correct? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dawn

We were leaning towards using Ricky's Tours in Hilo instead of renting a car. I went to Trip Advisor to see how they were reviewed and not a peep. It's like they don't exist. :eek: I remember seeing good reviews of them on Cruise Critic. So, for those of you who have toured with them recently, how did you like them? Were they prompt? Meet you at the dock? Get you back in plenty of time? I remember that the tours were in vans, not buses. Correct? Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Dawn

If memory serves me right, the posters on here who mentioned Ricky's were new to the forum. That doesn't mean they aren't legit, but it does make you wonder when someone comes on to promote a business as a first post. I am always suspect of posters here and on TA with few posts. TA is especially bad. I am to the point where I don't even read reviews unless they are posted by someone with multiple reviews. The ones with just a few reviews/post, I ignore.

We used Ricky earlier this month. I took what I read on Cruise Critic to be authentic. We were very pleased. We contacted him by email and did not pay until the end of our tour. We were his only customers that day so we had a VIP tour. He was prompt, picked us up right outside where all the other tours left, and we got back maybe around 4. He has a comfortable van and is very knowledgeable. He is a small, independent company. Would definitely recommend.

If memory serves me right, the posters on here who mentioned Ricky's were new to the forum. That doesn't mean they aren't legit, but it does make you wonder when someone comes on to promote a business as a first post.

I was also interested in non-NCL tours options for Hilo. Based on vbmom87's concerns above, I searched for posts with favorable comments on Ricky's from established CC members.

apeller with 645 posts

tinsel57 with 1254 posts

LuAnn with 4319 posts

and a variety of others with posts ranging from 2 to 150.

I would tend to believe that this tour guide is "the real deal"?? Can anyone dispute that?

I believe perhaps that vbmom87 has Ricky's Tours confused with another "start-up" Hilo tour company that was discussed here recently with a couple of posts that were promptly pulled. Something fishy was going on with that one. I have read nothing but glowing reviews of Ricky's Tours.

I would tend to believe that this tour guide is "the real deal"?? Can anyone dispute that?

I did not mean to imply he wasn't the real deal. Sometimes when a company is new they do a post themselves or have a friend do it as a way to start up their business. It is a way to get yourself established and people know that this is a great place to pass the word. Whether or not this is the case here, I don't know.

What I was saying is that I watch reviews and posts to see how many other contributions the posters have made. TA is especially suspect. I can't tell you how many hotel reviews I have read where the reviewers all had just one post. Those reviews are either glowing or extremely negative. I ignore them.

As more CC members try Ricky's and report back he will start to develop a lot more credibility. I was just reminding people that when they read a review they should look at how many contributions the poster has previously made. This might give you a better clue as to whether or not you will consider the post legit.

As mentioned above, perhaps I got Ricky's mixed up with another company. Either way, always be aware of how reviews are set up and use them cautiously. Myself, I also like to check the Better Business Bureau before booking or buying anything.

vbmom,

That's good to know. I will be doing the POA in Sept, so doing due diligence on shore excursions.

I've been on numerous cruises before, so I'm aware of the high margin for the on-ship shore excursions.

At first, Roberts Tours looked attractive and then Ricky's popped up in several complimentary CC posts.

vbmom,

That's good to know. I will be doing the POA in Sept, so doing due diligence on shore excursions.

I've been on numerous cruises before, so I'm aware of the high margin for the on-ship shore excursions.

At first, Roberts Tours looked attractive and then Ricky's popped up in several complimentary CC posts.

I hope when you return you will write a review and include comments about all of your excursions and activities including Ricky's if you do use them. It will help future cruisers.

I hope when you return you will write a review and include comments about all of your excursions and activities including Ricky's if you do use them. It will help future cruisers.

okay, okay, you don't have to shout! (haha, jk)

We used Ricky earlier this month. I took what I read on Cruise Critic to be authentic. We were very pleased. We contacted him by email and did not pay until the end of our tour. We were his only customers that day so we had a VIP tour. He was prompt, picked us up right outside where all the other tours left, and we got back maybe around 4. He has a comfortable van and is very knowledgeable. He is a small, independent company. Would definitely recommend.

Thanks flipflops62. That is the information I was looking for. We can rent a car and see the sights, but would rather have someone else drive and show us around. With so little time in port we just think it would be the best way to go. We weren't really interested in the large bus tours that Roberts or the ships use. I hope that others that have used Ricky's will post, too.

I was also interested in non-NCL tours options for Hilo. Based on vbmom87's concerns above, I searched for posts with favorable comments on Ricky's from established CC members.

apeller with 645 posts

tinsel57 with 1254 posts

LuAnn with 4319 posts

and a variety of others with posts ranging from 2 to 150.

Good search skills, Rod4KBSs! I did a search before the post, but only found a few comments here and there. Not enough for me to feel comfortable. I will try to find out the comments using those CC member names.

I did not mean to imply he wasn't the real deal. Sometimes when a company is new they do a post themselves or have a friend do it as a way to start up their business. It is a way to get yourself established and people know that this is a great place to pass the word. Whether or not this is the case here, I don't know.

What I was saying is that I watch reviews and posts to see how many other contributions the posters have made. TA is especially suspect. I can't tell you how many hotel reviews I have read where the reviewers all had just one post. Those reviews are either glowing or extremely negative. I ignore them.

As more CC members try Ricky's and report back he will start to develop a lot more credibility. I was just reminding people that when they read a review they should look at how many contributions the poster has previously made. This might give you a better clue as to whether or not you will consider the post legit.

As mentioned above, perhaps I got Ricky's mixed up with another company. Either way, always be aware of how reviews are set up and use them cautiously. Myself, I also like to check the Better Business Bureau before booking or buying anything.

I also am suspect of 1 contribution reviews on TA, vbmom87. I don't remember it being that way a few years ago. I guess people will find a way to game the system. Ricky's website is very basic. Could be nothing, but I am hoping to get more reassurance before I book with him.

Thanks for the info everyone. Let's hope some more happy customers come forward.

Dawn

I also am suspect of 1 contribution reviews on TA, vbmom87. I don't remember it being that way a few years ago.

Dawn

I don't remember it being so bad a few years ago either. Last summer I actually cancelled a lodging reservation in California after I analyzed the reviews. Funny thing was the reviews by posters with many contributions virtually all commented on the noise level at this accommodation. NOT ONE of the "one time posters" mentioned noise as an issue. To me this was a very big red flag as the validity of the reviews. I used to read all the reviews. Now I don't bother if they are written by someone with just a few previous posts. As long as I find enough posters who do have many other reviews or contributions, I feel confident in the review. I have to say that since I have been doing this, I have had no disappointments.

I will be on the POA on Aug 21st & I have booked RickysTours for our Hilo tour. I also am going on what I have heard on the CC boards. I checked out his website, talked to him several times and decided to trust that he is OK. He does not ask for payment up front.

When I come back, I will definitely post what the outcome was.

Several members of our roll call have booked Ricky's. I will post my review of Ricky's tour when I return from Hawaii on December 8... He seems legit, and very prompt with emails...

cashflow,

I'll be on the Sept 25th POA cruise. Would you be kind enough to share what other shore excursions you have set up for the other islands??

If you are open to renting a car that can be a good option for some people. We booked a tour with Valley Isles for the Road to Hana. We were glad we did as we enjoyed the narration by the driver. We learned so much. I would have liked to find other great tours like that in Hilo and for Day 2 in Maui, but we were on a budget. Since we wanted to do the full loop road around Hana, and it would be violating our car rental agreement, this tour was our "splurge." We loved it!!! However, others find the long drive a bit boring for them. You do have to love scenery to appreciate many of the tours in Hawaii. For Hilo we rented a car and spent six hours at VNP. We all wished we had another day to go back we enjoyed it so much. However, others find an hour and a half plenty of time for VNP. It is good to know what you like to do before you make plans. One person's paradise is another's misery. "Know thyself" is key.

Several members of our roll call have booked Ricky's. I will post my review of Ricky's tour when I return from Hawaii on December 8... He seems legit, and very prompt with emails...

Everyone has to start somewhere. CC has been a great place for some of the small businesses to get free advertising. I know several who have benefited from CC in Alaska. All it takes is a happy customer to come back and report on CC and before you know it, others are doing the same.

I know enough to leave the driving to the local experts. I've done enough vacation driving to realize that concentrating on navigating tends to dilute the vacay experience.

I agree. The locals really do provide something you otherwise miss.

I agree. The locals really do provide something you otherwise miss.

I thought your handle sounded familiar

We just got back from Hawaii and used Valley Isle Excursions. This trip was a true highlight for us. I would not have wanted to do it any other way. Our guide was Joe, a local. He was outstanding!!!!!!!! We learned so much about the vegetation, Hawaiin history, current Hawaii, etc. All four of us agreed this was definitely the best way to tour the Road to Hana. We ranged in age from 22 to 69. We made many more stops than what was listed on their itinerary. Joe was the best!!!!

I had to do the driving on this vacation and we did use mostly rental cars. I have to say that the driver really misses out on a lot. The roads to the scenic places are windy and many have drop offs. I had to stay so focused on the road that I never felt I really experienced Hawaii on the other drives. Doing the Road to Hana via a tour was a real treat for me. I know many say the road is easy to drive, and I have to say, I could have handled it with no problems. However, it was SO MUCH BETTER to let somone else do the driving. Especially someone like Joe who is wealth of information. My 22 year old daughter loved this tour and commented many times how glad she was that we did not choose to do this on our own. She, too, loved learning all Joe had to share with us.

Dawn

We just got back from Hawaii (from the Pride of America July 17 sailing) and used Ricky's Tours in Hilo. We were the only four he had that day so we had a private tour and really enjoyed it. Ricky was prompt, polite and extremely knowledgable and we really enjoyed our tour with him. I can definitely recommend him. He operates a van that holds 10-12 (but of course with only four of us we had plenty of room). He picked us up at the dock at 8:45 am and we were back at the ship at approximately 2:30 pm.

We just got back from Hawaii (from the Pride of America July 17 sailing) and used Ricky's Tours in Hilo. We were the only four he had that day so we had a private tour and really enjoyed it. Ricky was prompt, polite and extremely knowledgable and we really enjoyed our tour with him. I can definitely recommend him. He operates a van that holds 10-12 (but of course with only four of us we had plenty of room). He picked us up at the dock at 8:45 am and we were back at the ship at approximately 2:30 pm.

Thanks kingpgmr! Another good recommendation for Ricky. I'm feeling better about booking with him.

Dawn

Roper,

I found this in another post to support your decision to go with Ricky's.

7/13 Hilo

After reading all the good reports on Cruise Critic I ha booked Rickys Tours for the day. I contacted him by email and he replied promptly with the itinerary and price. Only needed name and cabin # to hold our spot-we didn’t pay until the tour was over. Cost was $50pp. Well worth it. If we had rented a car, we would have gone to VNP and maybe Mauna Loa Mac Nut Farm. We would have missed Banyan Drive, Rainbow Falls, Atsuka Orchids (chose a beautiful orchid to have shipped home to MIL as thanks for babysitting) and Richardson Beach. Ricky is friendly and knowledgably, his van is roomy and air conditioner. We happened to be his only customers that day so we had a VIP tour. Love everything about Hilo-even the harbor where the ship was docked. I would like to go back too the big island and spend more time at VNP. We didn’t have time to hike own into the crater, and the part where you can walk out to flowing lava does not open until 2pm, so you can’t get back on time. I would also enjoy a few hours at Richardson Beach; it is a black sand beach with lots of tide pool areas. It seemed mostly used by locals, then again, Hilo is not really a resort area.

We were back at the ship round 4. I do want to say that the pier staffs in Hilo are so friendly and helpful. There is also a tourist office right at the pier.

I have to echo what flipflops62 stated in the above post. My wife and I used Ricky when were on the POA in June and he was a great tour guide. We were his only customers that day because another couple didn't show up. So we went at a leisurely pace on a private tour. Ricky is very knowledgeable on the points of interest in Hilo. No worries about getting back to the ship on-time with Ricky as he has done many many tours and is well aware of the time you have to be back on board. His tour is well worth the money you pay for practically an all day tour. You won't get this with the ship tour or with Roberts Tours. In fact, we beat many of the tour buses to the same spots they take you to. So if if want a good tour and don't feel like renting a car for the day I would not hesitate using Ricky.

Archived