Thoughts and advice on the Zaandam

BarbarianPaul

My wife and I are on the Jan. 28 thirty four day Antarctica and Brazil Explorer cruise on the Zaandam. It will be the longest cruise we've ever taken and our first time on Holland America.

Does anyone have any thoughts, either positive or negative, or advice? We're doing the open seating because early dining is just too early, and the late seating too late. Would prefer to eat by ourselves if possible. Also, there's been some uncertainty about whether there are still laundry facilities on board. We love to curl up in little knocks and crannies on the ship and read during sea days. Are there quiet places?

For people who have travelled on the ship, what should we expect? What did you like, and what aspects needed work? Also, this is a back to back cruise, and we're curious how that works when we're staying onboard.

Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife and I are on the Jan. 28 thirty four day Antarctica and Brazil Explorer cruise on the Zaandam. It will be the longest cruise we've ever taken and our first time on Holland America.

Does anyone have any thoughts, either positive or negative, or advice? We're doing the open seating because early dining is just too early, and the late seating too late. Would prefer to eat by ourselves if possible. Also, there's been some uncertainty about whether there are still laundry facilities on board. We love to curl up in little knocks and crannies on the ship and read during sea days. Are there quiet places?

For people who have travelled on the ship, what should we expect? What did you like, and what aspects needed work? Also, this is a back to back cruise, and we're curious how that works when we're staying onboard.

Any and all thoughts would be much appreciated!

Hi! We were on the 21 day Antarctica Holiday cruise several years ago on the Zaandam. We have sailed the Zaandam 3 times. The ship is beautifully maintained, we found, with a great crew for this exciting Antarctic adventure.

We chose open seating table for 2 and requested it as soon as we embarked ( The maitre d should be at his podium in the Lido Market to take reservations.) We had a perfect table for 2, and each evening when we left the dining room we requested the same table. After 3 nights it was ours for the duration of the cruise. If we were not going to be using the table the next night (late night in a port, specialty restaurant reservation) we let the podium manager know when we exited the diningroom, and we still had our favorite table when we returned.

There was a laundry on board, but you might want to purchase an unlimited laundry package. I don't know if subsequent dry docks have eliminated it...hope not.

There are lots of quiet places on board, the ship never felt "crowded." We did an excursion on a disembarkation day on a European cruise and were given a boarding card to let us bypass check in. Even with that there was still some confusion with the cruise terminal staff, but we stood our ground and and were allowed to reboard. It seems to me that you could stay onboard if you chose to.

I hope this helps, we have always been pleased with all aspects of the Zaandam. We have spent a total of 75 days on various South American Itineraries, and I have to say, it is an amazing destination. Antarctica is an unbelievable experience. Have a wonderful cruise!

Karen

I was on for 32 days March and April. While I am now 4-star and have free laundry I used the self service for a final supply of clean clothes the last day. It's on the lower promenade deck aft of the atrium.

It's my second favorite HAL ship after the Prinsendam. Do check out the organ on the deck 2 atrium. It plays a tune around 11:45 at least each sea day. Also check out the coat of arms for the City of Zaandam in that same atrium (rear atrium wall).

Great ship, great crew. I understand Ryan Baird will return to the Zaandam as the location guide for the Antarctica season. He is one of the most passionate and useful of the location guides. Don't miss his presentations.

Roy

I sailed the Zaandam in July of 2016. The food, the staff, and my room were all very good.

However I sailed the Zaandam again in April. The staff was pretty good, the food was TV-dinner quality, and my room was below par, despite being a C, compared to a lesser category on my previous cruise. Most people I talked to agreed about the food, and the cruise in general was disappointing.

Compared to the experience I had on the Amsterdam in Alaska in July, it was significantly worse on the Zaandam.

I sailed the Zaandam in July of 2016. The food, the staff, and my room were all very good.

However I sailed the Zaandam again in April. The staff was pretty good, the food was TV-dinner quality, and my room was below par, despite being a C, compared to a lesser category on my previous cruise. Most people I talked to agreed about the food, and the cruise in general was disappointing.

Compared to the experience I had on the Amsterdam in Alaska in July, it was significantly worse on the Zaandam.

Sorry to hear that! We're booked in "suite," which seems like a slightly larger version of a normal cabin, and I'm hoping the food will be better than what you experienced. How was the buffet? Am thinking we could always eat up there for dinner as well. The South America/Antarctica itinerary is amazing, so we're certainly looking forward to the sights and ports.