Lido for Dinner

Kre8tiv1

I apologize if this has been posted before, but I've spent two days searching and cannot find the answer!

I'll be on the Eurodam next week and would like to know what type of dinner is served in the Lido? Is it the same as the MDR? Is it table service or buffet? What is the dress code?

Thanks much.

I think you can't be served in bathing suits etc. but on our recent Ryndam cruise is was casual. Not short shorts etc. The food had some of the same menu as the MDR but not all. The Eurodam should have more choices because the buffet lines are longer than the ones in the smaller ships such as the Ryndam. We ate in the Lido, Canaletto and MDR--open seating. Never had trouble finding a table although the Canaletto needs a reservation. We found nothing wrong with the food and always found something interesting. Well, except for the night the sea was rocking and rolling, the appetite was also rocking and rolling.

Pretty much what the others have said... just not swim suits & short shorts.. Very casual. Unless you just don't want what's in the MDR, why would you eat buffet for dinner? We were on Ryndam this summer in Alaska and I must say they had excellent food! I plan to do more Holland America cruises since going on the Ryndam.

Now, NCL on the other hand, the food has become somewhat boring... we travel with them alot and even have a Mediterrean cruise coming up in Feb. I'm hoping the food will be better than it has on the last couple of NCL caribbean cruises I've been on... we've gotten to where we eat Lido on those sometimes... a lot of times they have great salad bar i.e. can get a plate of avocados, hearts of palm, artichoke hearts, and a few other things and just about make a meal of that! And mostly have same soups and entre's as in the MDR.

Also, if you are asking about Lido because of dress code, we don't dress up. We just dress nicely i.e. black pants & pretty blouse and DH wears nice pair of slacks & button down shirt or nice polo. I don't let dress code keep me from getting my lobster on "formal" night!!

Have a great cruise!!

I'll be on the Eurodam next week and would like to know what type of dinner is served in the Lido?

Thanks much.

Similar menu as in MDR each night. If you are lucky lobster tails will be served in Lido when served in MDR on formal night

The Lido has no trays so be prepared to make multiple trips for food and drinks. I've only eaten there for breakfast. We eat in the MDR for lunch and dinner. I usually bring a tray from home and throw it in my bag when I head out to the Lido. We were on the Eurodam on 11/08 and there were trays back then but not anymore.

Thanks.

I have to dress everyday for work, and sometimes even having to wear dress pants and a nice blouse on vacation is too much! LOL

I know I could always order room service however, I don't necessarily want to be confined to my cabin for dinner either.

On the first night of your cruise the Lido will be closed as the ships that do the Caribbean cruises have a BBQ that night.

On the Eurodam (and other Vista and Signature class ships) the Lido will be open from 5:30 - 8 PM for dinner which is all buffet. On these ships lobster is very rarely served on the second formal night of your cruise there.

As said -- no trays -- so plan accordinly as to how you want to get your food and drinks to the table.

On the first night of your cruise the Lido will be closed as the ships that do the Caribbean cruises have a BBQ that night.

On the Eurodam (and other Vista and Signature class ships) the Lido will be open from 5:30 - 8 PM for dinner which is all buffet. On these ships lobster is very rarely served on the second formal night of your cruise there.

As said -- no trays -- so plan accordinly as to how you want to get your food and drinks to the table.

What is served at the BBQ?

Thanks.

I have to dress everyday for work, and sometimes even having to wear dress pants and a nice blouse on vacation is too much! LOL

I know I could always order room service however, I don't necessarily want to be confined to my cabin for dinner either.

If not slacks/skirt and a blouse or sundress, what would you wear? :confused:

If not slacks/skirt and a blouse or sundress, what would you wear? :confused:

If I had my way, I'd wear jeans or capris! I'm on vacation and want to be comfortable. As I said, I have to dress for work every day and it's a chore.

As for the food, some cruise lines now already have the cutlery and napkin at each place so that you are not also carrying the fork,knife and spoon. Of course you can also stick them in your pocket.

As for dressing, casual, as other have mentioned. The desserts are great and the ice cream with liquers over them (you pour it on) are fantastic.

They had beef wellington and all the same food as in the dining room. It can take a lot less time so if you prefer the early show and want a good seat, it is certainly an option.

If you are lucky, you can also have a window seat and watch the water go by.

If I had my way, I'd wear jeans or capris! I'm on vacation and want to be comfortable. As I said, I have to dress for work every day and it's a chore.

You should have read/asked about HAL's dress code

Jeans are permitted in Main Dining Room on smart casual nights but not formal nights. If permitted in Main Dining Room, they surely are permitted in Lido. You also are fine in 'decent capri pants'.

I suspected you did not know what was the dress code and that is why I asked. ;)

You should have read/asked about HAL's dress code

Jeans are permitted in Main Dining Room on smart casual nights but not formal nights. If permitted in Main Dining Room, they surely are permitted in Lido. You also are fine in 'decent capri pants'.

I suspected you did not know what was the dress code and that is why I asked. ;)

For your information, I did read the dress code...but suspect you might have not because there is no mention of wearing jeans in the MDR. ;)

This comes directly from the HAL website (see bolded text):

CLOTHING

The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment

of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily

life aboard ship and in ports of call is laid back and casual.

Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight,

breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual

clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat

and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore

excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For

example, certain churches, or other places of worship, may not

allow tank tops or short pants.

Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools.

You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water.

We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing

suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you

would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the Fitness

Center, bring workout gear.

Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits

ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories; Formal or

Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and

sports shirt or sweater for men and skirt or trousers and

sweater or blouse for women. Printed T-shirts, swimsuits,

tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or

public areas during the evening hours.

On festive Formal evenings, ladies wear a cocktail dress or

gown and gentlemen wear a suit and tie or tuxedo. There

are approximately two formal nights per seven days and

three formal nights per ten days. Formal wear for ladies and

gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise

by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 1-800-551-5091 or

(305) 252-6565. For more information, please visit

http://www.cruiselineformal.com. Your formal wear will be in your

stateroom when you board. In order to complement your

fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the

suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

As for the food, some cruise lines now already have the cutlery and napkin at each place so that you are not also carrying the fork,knife and spoon. Of course you can also stick them in your pocket.

As for dressing, casual, as other have mentioned. The desserts are great and the ice cream with liquers over them (you pour it on) are fantastic.

They had beef wellington and all the same food as in the dining room. It can take a lot less time so if you prefer the early show and want a good seat, it is certainly an option.

If you are lucky, you can also have a window seat and watch the water go by.

Beef Wellington??

We have been on several different ships since Oct 2009 -- and it was gone from the menus.

Jeans have been permitted in Main Dining Room on HAL for about 2 + years.

Did they change it back again?

I can't strain my eyes to read that ridiculous print but am very, very, very sure jeans are worn in MDR and have been for about our last 15 cruises. (Let the young 'uns try to read that font.)

And bring along your capri pants for Lido. ;) It's your vacation ............. :)

Jeans have been permitted in Main Dining Room on HAL for about 2 + years.

Did they change it back again?

Jeans are not specifically permitted. The change a few years ago was that they were no longer specifically prohibited.

Effectively, the dress code is silent on the matter.

Someone asked earlier about the BBQ. We just returned from Zuiderdam where BBQ was offered on 1st night of the cruise instead of the Lido. Huge steaks and typical BBQ fixings.

Although we opted for MDR, everything we saw looked very tasty and was presented well.

Beef Wellington??

We have been on several different ships since Oct 2009 -- and it was gone from the menus.

Yes, they had delicious beef wellington and I asked for and got 2 lovely slices of it. It was fantastic. The meat portion. I don't eat the pastry part around it.

Archived