Southend to Southampton

jocap

We've just heard that Carlisle airport is opening to passengers in June, flying to the two capitals in Ireland, and to Southend.

We have a very difficult journey to Southampton, not living near a main line or motor way, so it takes all day and several train changes, so are wondering about this method: fly to Southend, then use trains from there.

Does anyone know which stations we'll use? Is it Liverpool St from S'end?..which station to S'ton?

I suppose the tube can fill in the missing link, and we use the baggagehandling co for heavy suitcases, so that's not a big problem...;)

Just hoping that we can cut the hours of travelling!

Yes it’s Liverpool Street from Southend, or so their website says. Don’t be misled by the title London Southend Airport!. It’s an hour(52 minutes according to the timetable) into London, then crossing London to London Waterloo, followed by over an hour to Southampton by train. I understand your wanting to avoid the trek from the North to Southampton, but this ‘new’ route won’t be easy. Perhaps if you had a private transfer from Southend to Southampton it would take the strain off the train journey, but it wouldn’t be cheap. :(

Sorry that I’ve not gone into great detail, but hope it can help a little. I wonder why Carlisle airport people chose Southend? Perhaps a good deal was struck.:confused:

Would it be any easier to fly from Newcastle to Southampton?

Just checked Stobart own Southend Airport and they will be flying the planes there under the Flybe banner.

Edited by turnip eater
stobart info.

Yes it’s Liverpool Street from Southend, or so their website says. Don’t be misled by the title London Southend Airport!. It’s an hour(52 minutes according to the timetable) into London, then crossing London to London Waterloo, followed by over an hour to Southampton by train. I understand your wanting to avoid the trek from the North to Southampton, but this ‘new’ route won’t be easy. Perhaps if you had a private transfer from Southend to Southampton it would take the strain off the train journey, but it wouldn’t be cheap. :(

Sorry that I’ve not gone into great detail, but hope it can help a little. I wonder why Carlisle airport people chose Southend? Perhaps a good deal was struck.:confused:

Would it be any easier to fly from Newcastle to Southampton?

Just checked Stobart own Southend Airport and they will be flying the planes there under the Flybe banner.

Thanks... it will be interesting to do it at least once!

Yes, Eddie Stobart own Carlisle airport, and have been promising us passenger flights for some time now.

Might be better to change at Stratford for the Jubilee line direct to Waterloo when coming in from Southend.

Even so, Southend to Southampton by train is about 3 hours. Carlisle to Southampton by train is 5 hours 30 minutes, so you don’t really gain much, if anything. Except trying out Eddie’s airports [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've just heard that Carlisle airport is opening to passengers in June, flying to the two capitals in Ireland, and to Southend.
Personally, I would not yet count on it for a specific trip. The report I read has already been amended once to change the start date. And the flights do not yet appear on Flybe's website, let alone anywhere else.

Might be better to change at Stratford for the Jubilee line direct to Waterloo when coming in from Southend.
Yes, I think that is what I would do. Although I don't know it well, I believe that Stratford has step-free access throughout, which would help with luggage; and Jubilee Line to National Rail at Waterloo should also be step-free.

In contrast, Liverpool Street to Waterloo is not easy, and with luggage the best way is probably by cab.

I’d be inclined to look at taking the train from Carlisle to Southampton, only 1 change at Wolverhampton, we have done this relatively recently and it was an easy change.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed, but we have to go Seascale to Barrow, Barrow to a main line such as Lancaster or Preston on slow stopping trains for a couple of hours, then down to W'hampton. By train up to Carlisle adds 2 hours and odd connections. We used to drive but can't manage long journeys these days. Last year we took a taxi to Penrith, but that added another £100 ...Perhaps we should just move! :D

Agreed, but we have to go Seascale to Barrow, Barrow to a main line such as Lancaster or Preston on slow stopping trains for a couple of hours, then down to W'hampton. By train up to Carlisle adds 2 hours and odd connections. We used to drive but can't manage long journeys these days. Last year we took a taxi to Penrith, but that added another £100 ...Perhaps we should just move! :D

It would be cheaper to just take the taxi than move !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums