Loved renting our Boston Whaler

nsmith

Loved the Boston whaler

Just back from our bermuda trip. Our first day in port we rented a Boston whaler from Somerset Bridge Watersports. What a fabulous day. My husband and I have no boating experience and often joke that we couldn't get around the block without a GPS. Even so we had no trouble using the boat and following the map Somerset gave us. We beached the boat a few times and layed on tiny little beaches. We view beautful scenery, fed fish, and finally just dropped the anchor and floated in the amazing blue waters.

We have rented a Boston Whaler from Somerset for our July 26th Bermuda trip. Did they pick you up at the Dockyard or did you have to get your ownself to Somerset Bridge? Do they give you fish food? Is there water on the boat for drinking? What do we need to bring with us for our fun on the water?

Loved the Boston whaler

Just back from our bermuda trip. Our first day in port we rented a Boston whaler from Somerset Bridge Watersports. What a fabulous day. My husband and I have no boating experience and often joke that we couldn't get around the block without a GPS. Even so we had no trouble using the boat and following the map Somerset gave us. We beached the boat a few times and layed on tiny little beaches. We view beautful scenery, fed fish, and finally just dropped the anchor and floated in the amazing blue waters.

What size boat and engine did they rent you? What was the cost? Thanks in advance.

We rented a 15 foot Boston Whaler for four hours. The boad holds 6 people and the price was $165. You also have to pay for the gas that you use. Not sure on the engine size but I know that is determined by the Bermuda authorities.

Many posters have said they had no experience and the instructions they received from Somerset Water Sports was wonderful. You can look at their website. I think there is a video that shows you how easy it is to navigate the boats. The drive just like a car with a steering wheel and they give you a map of the area pointing out the highlights that you might want to see.

We have rented a Boston Whaler from Somerset for our July 26th Bermuda trip. Did they pick you up at the Dockyard or did you have to get your ownself to Somerset Bridge? Do they give you fish food? Is there water on the boat for drinking? What do we need to bring with us for our fun on the water?

They did not pick us up we took a cab cost $20.00 with tip(15 w/out) each way. You can take the bus, they say it is a short walk. They gave us a whole loaf of bread, we only used a few slices. They gave us a cooler filled with ice and we purchased drinks and a few snacks at the gas station on the same property. You would need to bring towels from the ship we wished we had brought something more substantial to eat, then again we ate on the ship on our return about 3pm and that was fine. They also provided a cell phone as ours didn't work in bermuda. Wear bathing suits as I am sure the water will be warmer and you will want to swim. If i thought we would be swimming I would have liked noodles, but we would have used the life vests if needed. Have fun this was the best.

I would love to do this but have no boating experience. Was it difficult? Did you feel safe

I felt very safe, we liked staying close to the shore so we could see the scenery, we didn't go very fast because we didn't like the bumpy ride. It was really fun, and beautiful and felt just adventurous enough for our

taste.

What size boat and engine did they rent you? What was the cost? Thanks in advance.

I don't know the engine size but the boat sat 4, I think they have ones that seat 6. Ours cost $149 we used $18 of gas, we rented the boat for 4 hours we could have stayed longer we were having so much fun.

Thanks for the information you shared. We are looking forward to our boat rental. We have been in Bermuda several times and have never done the boat rental. We are traveling with 15 family members and don't know if anyone is going to come along with us but I suspect we may have some takers. We might even have to rent a second boat if all the grandkids want to come along. We have 7 adults and 8 grandkids ages 12-23 going on our trip. It should be a great time for all.

We are booked with Somerset as well for our trip that leaves in 2 weeks! I was curious if you still had the map or could tell me the general vicinity of where you were allowed to go with the boat. We have the all-day rental and want to plan out as great of a day as possible!

Thanks!

We really wanted to rent a boat as well, but there are 6 of us, and those Boston Whalers from Sommerset just looked too small. So we decided to try Dreamcatcher - they have a 23' pontoon boat. It is more expensive to rent, but I'm thinking it will be more comfortable.

Thanks for the information you shared. We are looking forward to our boat rental. We have been in Bermuda several times and have never done the boat rental. We are traveling with 15 family members and don't know if anyone is going to come along with us but I suspect we may have some takers. We might even have to rent a second boat if all the grandkids want to come along. We have 7 adults and 8 grandkids ages 12-23 going on our trip. It should be a great time for all.

I think they added a pantoon boat to their fleet. I would think you could fit lots of people on that. You should call and inquire.

We are booked with Somerset as well for our trip that leaves in 2 weeks! I was curious if you still had the map or could tell me the general vicinity of where you were allowed to go with the boat. We have the all-day rental and want to plan out as great of a day as possible!

Thanks!

I don't have the map but the staff at Somerset will be able to help you plan. If I were going for a full day I would pack lunch, bring towels and rent snorkel equipment, and see if they had noodles to swim with. That being said don't over pack, there is not a lot of room in the boat as it comes with 4 life vests, a gas can a pump, anchor and 4 seats.

I think they added a pantoon boat to their fleet. I would think you could fit lots of people on that. You should call and inquire.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have started contacting the "crew" to see how many might be interested in doing the self drive boat adventure. See what their responses are and then hope the pantoon boat is still available if they want to do it. I did not know they had the pantoon boat.

Well, got in touch with everyone and they all want to do the rental boats. I have emailed Somerset Bridge Watersports and got my confirmation of the pontoon and the 15 foot Boston Whaler in my name. Should be a fun afternoon to start out our vacation. Thanks for the suggestion of the pontoon boat. My son says he doesn't want to drive either. He just wants a bottle of rum. Guess we know what his plans are for the day.

FYI

Besides Somerset their is H20 Watersports. http://www.h2osportsbermuda.com/motor-boat-rentals-bermuda.html

They have larger boats (17ft twin hulls) As a boater and Boston Whaler owner I'll go with the larger boat anytime. Will be renting from H20, closer to the ship and the price is about the same. Nothing wrong with Somerset or the small whalers but I know from experience in a small chop they can beat you to death:eek: $80.00 for the 1st hour and $30 an hour after?

We rented a Boston whaler from H2O Watersports that's part of the Cambridge Beaches Resort in Mangrove Bay. They're closer to King's Wharf than Somerset Bridge Watersports but both are excellent, we rented jet skis at SBW. We wanted the larger boat that H2O offered but SBW also offers 2 sizes.

The whalers are flat-bottomed and very hard to tip. Very easy to drive (steering wheel, center console) and comfortable in calm water. The rear can get wet when you stop so be sure to place any dry things in the front.

The pontoon boat is another option but the whaler is so much more enjoyable because you're closer to the water and in a smaller craft.

They have 35 HP engines if I remember correctly and so you can cruise at a decent speed. But you'll want to take your time and enjoy the coastal scenery. You can go between the Great Sound and the open water via 3 bridges - Somerset Bridge, Watfort Bridge near Mangrove Bay, and Grey's Bridge closer to the Dockyard.

The beauty of this excursion is you can go anywhere on the West End and even buzz your ship. You cannot go top the South shore due to the intricate reef system there (note the many wrecks on the map).

Be sure to pack a lunch (you can buy some stuff at the store there) and have a picnic on a private island. We brought wine and beer and nice baguette subs but we were staying on the island and were able to hit the grocery store.

I have to commend the staff at both SBW and H2O, both are excellent to work with. Have a great day!

Somerset Bridge only offers the taxi when you do their jetski excursion. I already asked the question. They said they do that becuase there is a jetski operation right at the dockyard. Transportation passes here we come.

We rented a Boston whaler from H2O Watersports that's part of the Cambridge Beaches Resort in Mangrove Bay. They're closer to King's Wharf than Somerset Bridge Watersports but both are excellent, we rented jet skis at SBW. We wanted the larger boat that H2O offered but SBW also offers 2 sizes.

The whalers are flat-bottomed and very hard to tip. Very easy to drive (steering wheel, center console) and comfortable in calm water. The rear can get wet when you stop so be sure to place any dry things in the front.

The pontoon boat is another option but the whaler is so much more enjoyable because you're closer to the water and in a smaller craft.

They have 35 HP engines if I remember correctly and so you can cruise at a decent speed. But you'll want to take your time and enjoy the coastal scenery. You can go between the Great Sound and the open water via 3 bridges - Somerset Bridge, Watfort Bridge near Mangrove Bay, and Grey's Bridge closer to the Dockyard.

The beauty of this excursion is you can go anywhere on the West End and even buzz your ship. You cannot go top the South shore due to the intricate reef system there (note the many wrecks on the map).

Be sure to pack a lunch (you can buy some stuff at the store there) and have a picnic on a private island. We brought wine and beer and nice baguette subs but we were staying on the island and were able to hit the grocery store.

I have to commend the staff at both SBW and H2O, both are excellent to work with. Have a great day!

Were you able to go to the Vixen from H20???

If we can't that is going to be a deal breaker and will have to rent from Somerset.

You can go to the Vixen from either. As I said you can go anywhere along the West End and even buzz your ship, and the Vixen is nearby that. Nothing is off limits as long as the water isn;t too rough. We enjoyed very flat seas, esp in the Sound.

Archived