Loved renting our Boston Whaler

nsmith

I guess you really don't know much about marine GPS. I was really not concerned with getting lost. Just about all the up to date marine gps units have a lot of features geared towards safe navigation. They will show where the buoy's are, shoals to stay away from, passages into coves and harbors. And most of them will show current water depth so you don't run a ground. And let's say you motor decides to crap out and you can't verbally articulate your present location. All you would have to do is pick up your phone and read the lat/long coordinates and they will know where you are. If you have an outgoing tide, you could be miles out to sea. So like I said, I wasn't concerned with getting lost, put rather navigating the waters safely. And being an avid boater out here on Long Island, I know that stuff tends to happen when you least expect it to. It's better to have the right equipment if needed compared to needing it and not having it. But thanks for your input anyway.

Nice articulation ziggy. You put flowers right in his place..........bazinga...........hahahahaha

Nice articulation ziggy. You put flowers right in his place..........bazinga...........hahahahaha

Thanks, but I didn't intend it to sound rude, but rather educational. I own 2 different styles of boats and I have seen many crazy things happen out on the water. And 99% of the issues could have been avoided with a little knowledge. I am just very safety oriented.

Ok, nuff there...

The answer is no unless it's optional and you should be asking the operators that question.

I would recommend a cell phone, we had a situation where that would have saved us a lot of time.

In the details about the Boston Whalers on Somerset Bridge Watersports' website it lists the following:

•Full safety equipment - Flares (Red, Rocket, Smoke) Dye Markers, Mirror, Flashlight,

Whistle, Extra spark plugs, Toolkit, Life jackets, Two paddles, Bailer and Cell Phone.

•Extra Tank of Gas

•GPS Tracking System

I'm guessing the GPS is so they know where you are - not necessarily a "marine" GPS, but I don't have any experience to say one way or the other. :)

Flowers happens to be a WOMAN, not a "his." Sorry if I upset you, but vacationing in Bermuda is supposed to be a relaxing thing. Hope you have calmed down. And as reported in the above comment, the boats are GPS equipped. The company has a good safety record. I am sure they do the best service possible for all of their customers. Let's all get back to happy thoughts.

We rented a Boston Whaler from Sommerset Bridge Watersports on June 25 and this was the highlight of our cruise vacation. The little gas station on the SBW property had drinks and chips and pea it's but nothing more substantial. We waited to eat back on the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hi! We rented a Boston Whaler last year from aquatic bermuda (Hamilton) and are renting a pontoon boat from them in September. The owner, Tony Crockwell, has been doing this a long time, and he was easy to deal with. Their prices are the best I found on the island. We are paying 400. for a full day weekday pontoon rental (plus gas). I used Somerset once a few years ago and they also were fine. I just like aquatic bermuda better because I can take the ferry over to hamilton and walk about a block and a half to pick up my boat -- no cab rides. They book up, pretty early though.

terry

I guess you really don't know much about marine GPS. I was really not concerned with getting lost. Just about all the up to date marine gps units have a lot of features geared towards safe navigation. They will show where the buoy's are, shoals to stay away from, passages into coves and harbors. And most of them will show current water depth so you don't run a ground. And let's say you motor decides to crap out and you can't verbally articulate your present location. All you would have to do is pick up your phone and read the lat/long coordinates and they will know where you are. If you have an outgoing tide, you could be miles out to sea. So like I said, I wasn't concerned with getting lost, put rather navigating the waters safely. And being an avid boater out here on Long Island, I know that stuff tends to happen when you least expect it to. It's better to have the right equipment if needed compared to needing it and not having it. But thanks for your input anyway.

I here you.......

If you happen to have one take a hand held with you. I have an older Lowrance H20. The only issue is the map pretty much sucks but its than nothing. I have a Garmin 7212 on my boat and feel naked without anything. Navonics iPhone App is great but I'm not turning my phone on and I don't think wifi is going to be on the water too far out:D

If anyone has any info in H20 Watersports has GPS or Sounder units on their rentals please post up.

I here you.......

If you happen to have one take a hand held with you. I have an older Lowrance H20. The only issue is the map pretty much sucks but its than nothing. I have a Garmin 7212 on my boat and feel naked without anything. Navonics iPhone App is great but I'm not turning my phone on and I don't think wifi is going to be on the water too far out:D

If anyone has any info in H20 Watersports has GPS or Sounder units on their rentals please post up.

I feel the same way without my electronics......lol.

I have a VHF handheld marine radio with built in gps. Maybe I'll bring it along.

Here is a good example of the point I was trying to make. A bunch of teenagers rented a boat for a few hours in Honduras. They were all US citizens. I think they were there for some school reasons. In any event, they were trying to make it to an island when their engine crapped out. I'm not sure of the reason. The bottom line is that they were found 4 days later and 60 miles out in the ocean all dehydrated and sunburned. They had zero electronics or communication devices. Anything can happen when you least expect it.

I feel the same way without my electronics......lol.

I have a VHF handheld marine radio with built in gps. Maybe I'll bring it along.

Here is a good example of the point I was trying to make. A bunch of teenagers rented a boat for a few hours in Honduras. They were all US citizens. I think they were there for some school reasons. In any event, they were trying to make it to an island when their engine crapped out. I'm not sure of the reason. The bottom line is that they were found 4 days later and 60 miles out in the ocean all dehydrated and sunburned. They had zero electronics or communication devices. Anything can happen when you least expect it.

We plan to rent a Boston Whaler next year when we go to Bermuda. My husband is Manager in the R & D Lab for a company that builds sounder units. Maybe we should bring one just in case. Now we just have to figure out where to get our sandwiches.

Can Anyone who has rented from Somerset advise what sort of security deposit/ cc hold they place on your card when renting a Boston Whaler? I have to advise my cc company of my upcoming travel and they usually ask an approximate amount I expect to charge so they can be on the lookout for any fraud.

We plan to rent a Boston Whaler next year when we go to Bermuda. My husband is Manager in the R & D Lab for a company that builds sounder units. Maybe we should bring one just in case. Now we just have to figure out where to get our sandwiches.

I asked when we received our confirmation, and they indicated there is a grocery store called "Marketplace" that is on the way from the dockyard to their location that sells lunch items- they open at 8am.

Archived