Private tour Le Havre to Honfleur

2curious

We have a group of 11 planning to visit Honfleur from Le Havre. I have reviewed many posts in this forum, but they all discussed going there either by bus, rental car or tax.

And many posts on Honfleur are dated, so I am hoping for more recent feedback.

Due to the size of our group, I prefer a private tour, but cannot find any non-ship excursions. Does anyone have any recommendation for a day tour to Honfleur?

Since the max size of taxi is only 6, should we pre-arrange 2 taxis to take us there and back? Is the taxi cost around 25-30€? Is it one way or return? Any recommendations of a taxi company there?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

I just checked the taxis fares on the french website : 50 to 60 € one way for one taxi, not sure each taxi can carry 6 persons. There are private tours from Le Havre you may customize, but you'll probably need two mini vans and those private tours are very expensive : the one I've seen (from le Havre to Honfleur and Etretat) was 890€ /one minivan for 7 persons. In my opinion, you don't need a tour if you just plan to visit Honfleur : it's a small city and it would be better just to take a taxi transfer and walk in the city. The bus is cheap, but not really convenient if you have people with mobility issues in your group and the timetable is very limited.

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Forums

Thank you for your feedback! Maybe we take 2 or 3 taxis there for our group. Not knowing French makes it hard to prebook taxis on the French websites. Can you recommend any reliable taxi services? I kept seeing Taxi Le-Havre in CC reviews, but reviews on public websites are mixed. Anyone has recent experience with them?

Or we just line up for taxi at the port and take the next available car? How do we arrange our return trip? Thanks.

I just checked the taxis fares on the french website : 50 to 60 € one way for one taxi, not sure each taxi can carry 6 persons. There are private tours from Le Havre you may customize, but you'll probably need two mini vans and those private tours are very expensive : the one I've seen (from le Havre to Honfleur and Etretat) was 890€ /one minivan for 7 persons. In my opinion, you don't need a tour if you just plan to visit Honfleur : it's a small city and it would be better just to take a taxi transfer and walk in the city. The bus is cheap, but not really convenient if you have people with mobility issues in your group and the timetable is very limited.

Yes I actually did already, but did not find what I need and many comments were dated. Hoping for recent experiences on taxi and private tour. Thanks for your feedback!

You may want to look over on the France forum [by Cruise Critic geography, France is only on the Mediterranean] at https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=593

The answer is very difficult. It seems there are not a lot of taxis in port, and, according to others posts, when a ship is in port, taxis drivers are waiting for more "interesting" rides, like Paris or Giverny. I think, according to your large group, that it would be safer to book in advance. No problems with the language : some sites have an english version. I don't live in Le Havre, so I don't have a personnal experience about the taxis but I can check again. I'm going to Le Havre, which is my embarking port for my own cruise in May, if your cruise is later, I'll have better information!

Just had another look and found a website you could browse :

espacetransfert-taxilehavre.fr (sorry! I'm anything but a geek and not able to give you a clickable link!) click on the english flag on the welcome page. It seems they have mini vans and are able to accomodate large groups. Don't know them personnally, but they have been in Le Havre for 25 years and have some good advices in french. They make either transfers or touristics visits. You'll find a phone number and email address on the site.

Edited by Al54

Thanks for your comments. We are on the June 30 Royal Princess cruise to British Isles, so would definitely appreciate your feedback after your cruse. I will check out the website you provided. Thanks!

The answer is very difficult. It seems there are not a lot of taxis in port, and, according to others posts, when a ship is in port, taxis drivers are waiting for more "interesting" rides, like Paris or Giverny. I think, according to your large group, that it would be safer to book in advance. No problems with the language : some sites have an english version. I don't live in Le Havre, so I don't have a personnal experience about the taxis but I can check again. I'm going to Le Havre, which is my embarking port for my own cruise in May, if your cruise is later, I'll have better information!

Just had another look and found a website you could browse :

espacetransfert-taxilehavre.fr (sorry! I'm anything but a geek and not able to give you a clickable link!) click on the english flag on the welcome page. It seems they have mini vans and are able to accomodate large groups. Don't know them personnally, but they have been in Le Havre for 25 years and have some good advices in french. They make either transfers or touristics visits. You'll find a phone number and email address on the site.

I will email them just to be sure. Thanks for the advice!

Did you email them to ask? I misread how they wrote up their tours, and I'm not familiar with Honfleur.
Edited by 2curious
Hide signature

Thanks for your comments. We are on the June 30 Royal Princess cruise to British Isles, so would definitely appreciate your feedback after your cruse. I will check out the website you provided. Thanks!

We’re on the same cruise, and I have booked a van for 8 people through Overlord Tours. I know the 8 person tour to Normandy is their “standard” offering, but they do many other tours so you might contact them to see if they can help. If they don’t have a larger vehicle maybe you could reserve a van and a sedan.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I will check this link out.

For the other leads, I have followed them up and either got no response, or the quoted price is ridiculously high (like 1000€ for the group tour of 9)! We might either take the chance with the taxi queue at the port, or just pick the Princess excursion for peace of mind.

Try https://www.francecustomtours.com we booked with them last summer for a completely custom tour. The owner John is an Englishman who speaks many languages. Highly recommended.

For the other leads, I have followed them up and either got no response, or the quoted price is ridiculously high (like 1000€ for the group tour of 9)! We might either take the chance with the taxi queue at the port, or just pick the Princess excursion for peace of mind.

That was about the price of our tour for the group of 8 (a little less), and it was way cheaper than the ship's excursions. It was so worth it. Although again, we did the Normandy beaches. But we loved it!!

That was about the price of our tour for the group of 8 (a little less), and it was way cheaper than the ship's excursions. It was so worth it. Although again, we did the Normandy beaches. But we loved it!!

Prices for independent tours in Le Havre are some of the highest I’ve seen anywhere. My Overlord tour to Normandy this summer is €980 for 8 people. At the current conversion rate that works out to about $150 per person for a full day, which I think is expensive but not unreasonable. The cost is in line with other things I looked at, and less than it would cost to do the tour through the cruise line with a lot more people.

Prices for independent tours in Le Havre are some of the highest I’ve seen anywhere. My Overlord tour to Normandy this summer is €980 for 8 people. At the current conversion rate that works out to about $150 per person for a full day, which I think is expensive but not unreasonable. The cost is in line with other things I looked at, and less than it would cost to do the tour through the cruise line with a lot more people.

Yep! That's what we paid as well. I knew it was just under 1,000. And like you said, for the 3 of us, it was way cheaper than the cruise line's version and way better!!

We decided to focus on finding a taxi vs a private tour cos we basically just need a driver and not a tour guide. We can see Honfleur on our own. If we were going to Normandy beaches (went there already in previous cruise), then the €980 is quite reasonable.

My friend meticulously searched the CC forums, and just found a recommendation for an English speaking taxi driver in the France Ports forum. He emailed him in English, got no response. He texted him in English, no response. Finally with the help of his son and Google Translate, he emailed him again in French, and got an immediate reply! So we have reserved 2 taxis from him for our group of 9 (2 decided to go elsewhere) for €275 return trip to Honfleur. (His van can only take up to 8). I do hope his spoken English is better than his written English? If he does not show up, then our backup plan is to queue up at the taxi line at the port. I will report back here after my trip to let you know of our actual experience.

Thank you to all of you who provided valuable feedback for our planning. CC cruisers are the best!

If you can arrange it, try to go to the Mariners Chapel (I think it's called Notre Dame de Grace). It's up a steep hill, so maybe you could ask your driver to take you there first? It's so pretty and the views are outstanding!

I wish that we had had more time in Honfleur, but since it was our first visit, the Normandy beaches were our priority. Our guide took us up to the chapel for a quick look before we headed out.

We also had a lovely dinner that night in Honfleur at a restaurant called l'Homme de Bois.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for this great suggestion! I have added this to my sites to see, and will try to ask the driver in our limited French. Maybe I will use Google Translate to prepare this question in advance to ask him? 😂

If you can arrange it, try to go to the Mariners Chapel (I think it's called Notre Dame de Grace). It's up a steep hill, so maybe you could ask your driver to take you there first? It's so pretty and the views are outstanding!

I wish that we had had more time in Honfleur, but since it was our first visit, the Normandy beaches were our priority. Our guide took us up to the chapel for a quick look before we headed out.

We also had a lovely dinner that night in Honfleur at a restaurant called l'Homme de Bois.

Enjoy your trip!

• 1 month later...
We decided to focus on finding a taxi vs a private tour cos we basically just need a driver and not a tour guide. We can see Honfleur on our own. If we were going to Normandy beaches (went there already in previous cruise), then the €980 is quite reasonable.

My friend meticulously searched the CC forums, and just found a recommendation for an English speaking taxi driver in the France Ports forum. He emailed him in English, got no response. He texted him in English, no response. Finally with the help of his son and Google Translate, he emailed him again in French, and got an immediate reply! So we have reserved 2 taxis from him for our group of 9 (2 decided to go elsewhere) for €275 return trip to Honfleur. (His van can only take up to 8). I do hope his spoken English is better than his written English? If he does not show up, then our backup plan is to queue up at the taxi line at the port. I will report back here after my trip to let you know of our actual experience.

Thank you to all of you who provided valuable feedback for our planning. CC cruisers are the best!

Can you please tell me the contact information for the taxi to Honfleur? How many hours did you arrange with him? We will be in Le Havre early next month on the Sapphire Princess.

Thanks very much.

We docked in Le Havre last year and just went to the line of taxis that were on the dock when the ship arrived. We were a group of six and found a van to take us to Honfleur. We arranged a time for the driver to come back and pick us up and he was prompt. I don't remember the cost at the moment but divided between the six of us, it was reasonable. You won't need a guided tour of Honfleur. I researched the places we wanted to visit while there and had plenty of time for a nice lunch harbourside when we completed our visits. The six of us did not stay together-each couple went their own separate ways. We did not have a problem with language while in town but our taxi driver spoke limited English. Luckily, my husband speaks French and he sat up front with the driver and they talked during the entirety of our drive. Honfleur is a lovely little town and we were glad that we chose the spend the last day of our cruise there. Hope you enjoy it too!

Barb

We docked in Le Havre last year and just went to the line of taxis that were on the dock when the ship arrived. We were a group of six and found a van to take us to Honfleur. We arranged a time for the driver to come back and pick us up and he was prompt. I don't remember the cost at the moment but divided between the six of us, it was reasonable. You won't need a guided tour of Honfleur. I researched the places we wanted to visit while there and had plenty of time for a nice lunch harbourside when we completed our visits. The six of us did not stay together-each couple went their own separate ways. We did not have a problem with language while in town but our taxi driver spoke limited English. Luckily, my husband speaks French and he sat up front with the driver and they talked during the entirety of our drive. Honfleur is a lovely little town and we were glad that we chose the spend the last day of our cruise there. Hope you enjoy it too!

Barb

Wow, precisely what we wanted to do! I hope we will be as lucky to find a taxi driver willing to take us on our terms. I will post on our roll-call and see if there are any others who are interested.

Thanks so much, Barb. I'm sure we will enjoy our visit to Honfleur.

Maria

We have a group of 11 planning to visit Honfleur from Le Havre. I have reviewed many posts in this forum, but they all discussed going there either by bus, rental car or tax.

And many posts on Honfleur are dated, so I am hoping for more recent feedback.

Due to the size of our group, I prefer a private tour, but cannot find any non-ship excursions. Does anyone have any recommendation for a day tour to Honfleur?

Since the max size of taxi is only 6, should we pre-arrange 2 taxis to take us there and back? Is the taxi cost around 25-30€? Is it one way or return? Any recommendations of a taxi company there?

Thank you in advance for any feedback!

Hello 2curious, I don't know if you travelled yet but maybe this will help some of you. I don't know if you heard about it but there is a touristic bus company named Bee Le Havre where you can book a little bus. I know that they are going to Honfleur, maybe you can contact them to know more about it ?

Have a nice day and I hope that you will appreciate Le Havre, it is a beautiful city !