Questions re 10-day Tahiti cruise

smalltowner

I'm booked for the 10 day Tahiti and Tuamotus cruise in January, and lately have been thinking about the logistics of it. I've looked at the PG website, which doesn't seem to be working except to read information. I registered, but wasn't able to enter any information (passport, etc), as I have done on previous cruises with Oceania on their website. Am I supposed to call PG or have my TA do this? It looks like shore excursions can't be booked until 60 days before the cruise, so that's a long way off, but it looks like that has to be done by phone also. Can anyone confirm this?

My other main question has to do with flight arrival time for the 10-day cruise. When I look at the ATN site, the flight for the day of the cruise embarkation (Wednesday) is listed as leaving LAX at 5pm, arriving PPT at 11:35pm (which will feel much later to us due to the time difference). From what I understand, this means the ship will be held and we'll embark and then sail, and the next day arrive at the first port. I know I will be spending that day in a fog of sleep deprivation, so I'm looking for an alternative to this arrival scenario. When I look at pre-cruise extensions on the website, it doesn't have 2013 available yet, but for 2012, it says there is only a 4-day pre-cruise extension for the 10-day cruise (I think - maybe I read it incorrectly). Can anyone tell me if this is right. I don't want 4 days, only 1 or 2. In fact, I'd be happy to fly out of LAX on Tuesday on the 11:30pm flight, arriving PPT at 6:05am. Then I could get a day room (hopefully) somewhere, relax until embarkation time, eat early and go to bed, thus getting over jetlag in time to enjoy the first port. I did call PG a while ago, and they just said to wait until 2013 options were available, so I thought someone on this board might have previous experience with pre-cruise planning on the 10-day cruise. If there isn't a pre-cruise package that works for me, I'm looking at purchasing an air deviation to switch to the Tuesday flight, and looking for a day room on my own. Is this a feasible plan?

Regarding information- passport etc - on the website - I think we fill all that stuff on a form and fax it/email it to the TA from what I recall. They usually like to have the forms before the tickets go out and before final payment.

Also my TA told me that we will be 90% going to Tahiti on the overnight flight and have a day room at the IC. I have booked the IC day room for our return.

I did the 10 day last year on the PG, and am doing it again next month. As to arriving on the day of sail away...yes they do not sail until that last ATN flight arrives...around 10 to 11pm.

Last year we did the 2 night pre stay with PG at the Tahiti I/C Resort. We are doing it again this year....which means you depart LAX in the early afternoon, around 2:30pm, arrive Papeete 8pm....that night, and the next night at the Tahiti I/C. Breakfasts are provided as well at the resort.

We found this to be the perfect game plan for a pre cruise short stay. Also we requested to do the I/C as the day-room for post cruise...and got it for a small up-charge...well worth it to us.

Our TA provided the paperwork to us from PG to finish up the registration for each passenger, and also we did the tours much earlier than 60 days out....just have to call PG and ask about that.

Best to you...

Chuck

This clears some things up. Emdee, by "90%..overnight flight" did you mean that it's 90% sure that PG passengers will be on the overnight flight? I would be happy if we are on this flight and get a dayroom at the IC. When do you think we're likely to be sure about this? How much extra is it for the IC on the last day? As we haven't been to Tahiti before, I was thinking we'd do the last day tour they provide (at least I think it's provided). Then maybe it doesn't matter which hotel we're at, as it's only for a few hours, rather than the whole afternoon. Would you give me your advice about that?

Molokai-Chuck, do you recall what the cost per person was of the 2-day pre-cruise extension?

I just got back from the 10 night. We left lax on Monday afternoon and arrived Tahiti around 10:30 pm or so. We went to the IC Tahiti for that night and the next. We got on the ship Wednesday. We met many people on plane and at IC doing the same. We are very glad we did this as all we spoke with. We met people on board that went straight to the ship after landing Wednesday night. They ALL wished they had come in at least 24 hours earlier.

Thanks for the feedback, rcandkc. Was this a pre-cruise extension, booked through PG, or did you get an air deviation and book yourself? How far before the cruise was it booked, and what did it cost? If the alternative is to arrive late and go straight onto the ship, I think I'll follow your plan, one way or the other. Hope you had a great cruise.

Hi smalltowner,

The IC on the last day is $80 more - not sure if its per person. Ask your agent for a price. I think the tour gets there are about 3.30 but more recent travelers should give you a time .The buses leave at about 7.30 or 8 but you have to be out of your room around 6pm. Its really up to you regarding where you want to be. The Radisson rooms are decent and they have a lovely black sand beach - the pool is good too. I just have a preference for the IC.

Last year I was bitten by mossies at the Rad when having dinner so keep your spray out for that - I had packed mine up.

They are also putting passengers up at the Sofitel. I havent been there but Avalong had some complaints - mossies again plus not too nice.

Smalltowner.... I booked the 2 night pre-stay for the Tahiti I/C through PG Cruises, as far as prices go...for 2012 they were as follows for pre cruise stay (for 10 night cruise)...

Ocean View ...$365 pp

Overwater Motu Bung. ... $575 pp

Overwater Lagoon Bung. ...$765pp

I did the OW Motu last year, it was good. I am doing the OW Lagoon this year, due to a 3rd person coming with us, and this is the only OW Bung. that takes a 3rd person.

Now that has been said.....I think Emdee did one of the Panoramic rooms there, and said they were great. I think if my wife and I were to do this trip again...we probably will do the Panoramic room for sure!

My wife and I passed up on the tour after the cruise last year, and went straight to the Rad. Resort. We wanted the rest over touring. The Rad. Resort is nice, but I thought the food was not up to the same quality as the Tahiti I/C was.

I noticed last year some people were going to the I/C as the dayroom. So... upon my return home, I booked this years sailing, and asked if I could do the I/C as the dayroom. They said yes for an upcharge...at that time it was $15 each. But now I hear it is around $40 each.

Hope this helps out some.

Chuck

I also booked the IC through PG, 2 day pre cruise. Many people did and were glad they did. It has beautiful grounds, nice bars, etc. I would upgrade for the IC day room coming back too. Our post cruise day room was at the radisson. It was fine, but it is much farther away from the airport and not as nice.

We booked 2 night pre cruise stay at IC and loved it. Our post cruise day room was at the Radisson and we really disliked it. Our TA booked the Radisson and I was not aware we had a choice--I would not choose to go there and would pay upcharge to go to the IC. The Radisson is VERY tired and much farther away.

We also joined the Ambassador Club of IC and benefited from the room upgrade at our pre cruise stay. We had booked Motu Bungalow and were upgraded to the Lagoon Bungalow. It was wonderful and worth the $200 Club fee.

My T.A. just spoke with P&G about the web site and filling in the info they said the site should be up and working in the next few months as they are just finishing off some changes. If for anyone that is too close to sailing your T.A just calls it in.

We are also doing a 10 night Jan cruise and would like to do a pre-cruise stay at the IC in Moorea. I have contacted PG monthly (they kindly tell me each time next month the schedule will be available) as sometimes it may be a 4 night pkg depending on flights. Unfortunately I cannot book our flights to LA until the pkg and dates for the pre-cruise stay are confirmed. This is all new to me and wondering is this common?

I contacted my TA today and asked her to find out about flights and pre-cruise packages for this cruise (Jan. 23 - DGK and Emdee, we're on the same cruise and doing shore excursions together - I'm Penny). She forwarded me a form to fill out and send to her with passport info., etc., as they were still working on the website. She also said that PG told her we would be on the late flight on Jan. 23 unless we paid for an air deviation, and that no day room would be provided. As far as the 2013 pre-cruise packages go, they are expected to be available at the end of June. (I'll believe it when I see it!) I have already booked a flight from Toronto to LA because I wanted to use ff miles and couldn't wait forever. I'm arriving LA Jan. 20, and am figuring on doing some tours there depending on when we'll be flying to Papeete. The one thing I have decided I will not do is arrive on the ship at midnight Jan. 23. At this point I'll wait and see what the packages are, and then decide what to do. I find it quite frustrating that PG can't come up with these packages sooner. I guess it's because they are a smaller organization.

Penny,

historically our ATN flights were only confirmed 6 months in advance.

Its entirely possible that we will be divided between the two flights - overnight and same day as sometimes that was done in the past. Just have confidence in our TA to get us the best flight possible.

You are correct it is not worth it coming in late that night especially if you have a busy day in Huahine. Its quite tiring.Unfortunately I may be forced to do that due to work commitments.

We also for our up coming cruise used our FF for the flight to LA and decided to come in on a later flight and stay near LAX at a cheaper hotel. It would break up the travel and if flight from TO had delay it was not a problem. We also have to put our dog in a kennel. We never come in the day of a cruise as one time our luggage was stolen and we were at sea before it was determined and with no stop to buy, it was some days before I could get some clothes (not this line). I am very small and shops on board did not fit me.

Yes, Trend, it's always wise to book an extra travel day if possible, especially in the winter flying out of Canada. My YYZ-LAX flight will get me into LAX on Jan.20, and a 2-night pre-cruise package would have me flying out of LAX on Jan. 21. That gives me a day to stay near the airport and do a tour of LA, or have my luggage arrive if it gets lost in transit. I think my best bet will be to patiently await the availability of 2013 pre-cruise packages and book a 2-night IC Resort Papeete program. It'll be far more economical than purchasing an air deviation and doing reservations myself.

Ok, now I'm confused. Our trip won't be until Nov 2013, so I know that air schedules will be, who knows. My first question is regarding the IC for the 10 day itinerary. The brochure & website state that the 10 day will have different rates, and that's because you come in on an early flight and occupy the room part day??? Also, if we join the Ambassador's Club for $200, book an overview room will that guarantee us an upgrade to an ow motu?? This is our first tip to FP and have always dreamed about the bungalows. Hate to hope to snag an upgrade and find out for the extra $$$ gotten what we really wanted. Not much of a gambler here, (beside DH would never let me forget):o. Hate to have these questions but know you all can help out-my to-be TA is a newbie for the PG. Thanks!

That is a hefty price to pay to join a club hoping for the upgrade, so unless you use the hotels associated with Ambassador it is not worth it. We booked 10years ago the over water bungalow and are doing the same this time around that is guaranteed and no hoping to get. We have cards from other hotels that do not cost (Marriott, Hilton, Accor -Sofitel) figure out when you will make use again of such a costly card.

• 3 weeks later...

Last week pre-cruise packages for 2013 finally became available. For the 10-day cruise, the standard pre-cruise package now is a three-day package at a cost of $545 pp for a lagoon-view room. I wanted a 2-day package and my TA had to request that from PG and then PG requested a price from the hotel. The price just came to me from my TA today, at $390 pp. So I booked it. I think I may have been able to save a bit of money going the route of air deviation and booking myself for the hotel and transfers, but not enough to make the hassle worthwhile. I don't know what the prices are for the other options of accommodation, but they are available for booking now.

I have a question about the 10 day itinerary... How long are you in port for Rangiroa and Fakarava? I have been on the PG twice before when it was with regent and it used to be a split day in Rangi so I was wondering if it was a full day now.

Sad to say you are still only half a day in Rangiroa. I so want to go to the other side of the lagoon in Rangiroa to see the pink sands but not possible. I think we should approach PG cruises and ask for an itinerary with a full day in Rangiroa so we can do this.

There is a full day in Fakarava and Ato takes you to the most beautiful blue lagoon. Though here too I would like a couple of hours more in order to visit their pink sands and see the Napoleon Wrasse fish.

There could be a reason though. PG can enter and leave the Lagoon only with the right tide coming into and leaving the lagoon so time is essential for a safe transit. So they may actually have to stay more than a day to give us a full day in either of these places. I will pose that question with Capt Zupan when I see him on Tere Moana in December.

Archived