Katakolan, Greece

We went to Olympia last year with the ship's tour, but wished we had gone on our own. Seeing the ruins was great and the museum was very worthwhile so be sure and save time for that too. There's a few shops and restaurants not too far from the dock, but nothing really special.

We were disappointed not to spend more time at the museum, one of Europe's greatest collections of ancient relics. We were on a half-day stop so were pressed for time. A guide for the ruins would be helpful pointing out what different remains once were. If we went back, we could spend an afternoon at the museum.

My husband and I were in Katakolon in July 2005 on the WIndspirit. We did not sign up for the ship's tour to Olympia and were initially disappointed we had not. When we first got off the ship and began walking there were taxi's waiting for hire to go to Olympia. We waved them off in a friendly manner...:rolleyes: As we walked down the street we quickly realized there really wasn't much to do or see here. We neared the park, ready to cross the street to go back and there was one taxi driver with his new Volkswagen Passat, beckoning us to "tour Olympia" with him. Oh, sure we thought. But, he seemed pleasant enuf and we weren't so keen on spending the day on the ship. So we went over and talked to him.

What a treat our day with George turned out to be. He took us to Olympia, waited for us while we toured the ruins and museum on our own, and was waiting for us in his cool, air-conditioned car. We then went to the town of Olympia for lunch/iced coffee and again on our own did some shopping. Then he took us back to our ship, the long way as requested, so we could see some of the countryside. It was all for a set price, so the more we could see and do, the better. And it turned out less expensive than the ship's tour price!

When we returned to the ship the people from the ship's tour were all disappointed with the excursion, for varying reasons. But mostly because for such a large group (nothing I'm sure compared to large cruise ships) there was a lot of waiting around. Because it was so hot, people ended up sitting for a lengthy time in the bus. The beauty of our touring with George was the timeing was set by us, not others.

We are leaving in April on the Royal Princess for 12 nights and I am setting up, inadvance, our own excursions for Istanbul and Sorrento (Amalfi Coast). I will try to steer away from shore excursions on large buses with large amount of people...I may be missing some things, but gaining alot too.

I got George's card and his email is:

georgetaxi@panafonet.gr. At least it was in 2005.

Have fun!

In 2005 we also visited Olympia on our own. So glad we didn't do a ship's tour! While the tours were crowded around the tour guides in the hot sun, we saw Olympia at our own pace. Also, information on each of the "ruins" sections were in English. Taxis by the ship were plentiful... just make sure the price you decide on includes having the taxi wait for you, then take you back into town or to the ship.

I'm sorry I couldn't find out how much we paid George for the tour. I didn't write it down. It was alot less than the ship's tour, that I remember. We probably left an hour after the ship's tour bus and came back an hour before it came back to the ship.

Email George and at least he can give you a general idea about price. Like I said, he was friendly and we felt completely honest.

I emailed George and the price is 50 euro per hour. He can take four or five (if one is child). He seemed very nice and will be accommodating, but for just 2 people, it will be cheaper for DH and I to take the ship tour.

• 3 weeks later...
I emailed George and the price is 50 euro per hour. He can take four or five (if one is child). He seemed very nice and will be accommodating, but for just 2 people, it will be cheaper for DH and I to take the ship tour.

He quoted me 45 € per hour for November 2007. His Passat can take 4 people.

I just was putting a scrapbook together of our trip and could kick myself for not taking note of George's price. I do know that is was not 45-50 Euro per hour. As I said before, he was less expensive than the ship tour and that was around $100pp. Perhaps his cost was less because we did not prearrange with him, but he "hooked us" after we had walked thru town. I don't think our day (4-5 hours?) cost us more than $100 American. :eek:

If you are willing to wait, I would imagine your options would be good to find someone after the ship docks as there were a number of taxis (5-7 perhaps) waiting when we got off the ship, offering their service.

Perhaps you could ask others on Cruisecritic if there were taxis waiting when they got off the ship, getting a better feel for their availability...

Just a suggestion...

Perhaps pre-booking, they set forth a price they would LIKE to get.

If they have an empty vehicle the day the ship is there, and nothing pre-booked, perhaps they (or he) drop the price to at least get something.

A lesser fare is better than no fare at all for the day!

• 10 months later...

For train try this link:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

Katakolon - Purgos - Olympia

Train line. Ε 1382 departure 08.25 arrive 09.06

Train line 1386 departure 10.55 arrive 11.41

Train line 1388 departure 12.52 arrive 13.44

Train line 1390 departure 14.51 arrive 15.38

Olympia - Purgos - Katakolon

Train line Ε 1387 departure 11.46 arrive 12.28

Train line 1389 departure 13.48 arrive 14.32

Train line 1391 departure 15.43 arrive 16.32

Fare is 1E per way.

When we were there in November, there was a slightly more limited schedule (off-season), so we opted to hire a taxi. It was a fixed price of 70E (for three of us) and we were there for several hours.

The park itself (admission 9E each for site and museum) is very well signed and marked. With some pre-trip research, I felt very comfortable touring it ourselves. Signage was in English, Greek and German.

It was the highlight of our trip -- and I would not have changed how/what we did if given a second chance.

I just finished booking a tour with George Letsios for our May visit to Katakolon on the Noordam. He seems very professional and has quickly replied to all of my e-mails. Based on other member's reviews I think we will have an excellent tour with George. His new e-mail is

georgetaxi@vodafone.net.gr and his website is www.taxikatakolon.gr

I will post a review when we return in May.

I just finished booking a tour with George Letsios for our May visit to Katakolon on the Noordam. He seems very professional and has quickly replied to all of my e-mails. Based on other member's reviews I think we will have an excellent tour with George. His new e-mail is

georgetaxi@vodafone.net.gr and his website is www.taxikatakolon.gr

I will post a review when we return in May.

Thank you Crucian Gal. I will look for it. And bon voyage!

Cheers,

Karen

• 1 month later...

Haven't done this yet as we don't get there until April but just reserved a car by emailing diplasd@rentacarkatakolo.gr. Found good reviews on this service on some other boards but complaints about lack of response via email. I haven't had the problem so far - asked for a quote last evening and when I logged on the computer this morning it was waiting on me. Price is fine with me too, 45 euros all inclusive except for gas which appears will be less than 10 euros.

Clay

Just did the same as Clay for our cruise in August . I received a response in 24 hours and was quoted the same price - 45E plus gas. I travelled to Olympia 20 + years ago on a tour but want to rent a car this time. We want the freedom to travel around a bit and all the posts I have read is indicate it is very easy to do.

• 2 weeks later...
For train try this link:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

Katakolon - Purgos - Olympia

Train line. Ε 1382 departure 08.25 arrive 09.06

Train line 1386 departure 10.55 arrive 11.41

Train line 1388 departure 12.52 arrive 13.44

Train line 1390 departure 14.51 arrive 15.38

Olympia - Purgos - Katakolon

Train line Ε 1387 departure 11.46 arrive 12.28

Train line 1389 departure 13.48 arrive 14.32

Train line 1391 departure 15.43 arrive 16.32

Fare is 1E per way.

When we were there in November, there was a slightly more limited schedule (off-season), so we opted to hire a taxi. It was a fixed price of 70E (for three of us) and we were there for several hours.

The park itself (admission 9E each for site and museum) is very well signed and marked. With some pre-trip research, I felt very comfortable touring it ourselves. Signage was in English, Greek and German.

It was the highlight of our trip -- and I would not have changed how/what we did if given a second chance.

How far is the train from where the ships usually dock? Do you need a cab to get to the train station? If so, how much did it cost, if you remember? Thanks in advance, for your reply!

We toured with George last year in Katakalon. I was travelling alone with my 8 year old son and George did a great job keeping his attention. We went to Olympia first thing in the morning before the tour buses arrived. On the way back George told my son that he had puppies and other baby animals at his house so we stopped by there for him to see them. From there we went to the beach for awhile and then to a local restaurant for lunch. I would highly recomend George.

Archived