Chichen Itza: Cruise excursion or private tour?

The cruise we're going on in February is stopping in Progreso. My friends and I decided we want to see Chichen Itza. On past cruises at other Ports of Call, I've booked outside tour operators for cool things that weren't offered by the cruise line.

I've found two outside tours that are both ~$20 less than the ship's excursion. Aside from the slightly lower price, is there any benefit to using the outside tours? I think the cruise excursion provides lunch while the other two don't mention food specifically.

Thoughts?

Considering Chichen Itza is 2 hours away from port and it’s a very crowded site, I’d be on the safe side and book the excursion through the ship. I’m planning to see Uxmal on my cruise in June and are looking at a private excursion outside of the cruise line just because the site is closer than Chichen Itza and not as crowded .

• 2 weeks later...
The cruise we're going on in February is stopping in Progreso. My friends and I decided we want to see Chichen Itza. On past cruises at other Ports of Call, I've booked outside tour operators for cool things that weren't offered by the cruise line.

I've found two outside tours that are both ~$20 less than the ship's excursion. Aside from the slightly lower price, is there any benefit to using the outside tours? I think the cruise excursion provides lunch while the other two don't mention food specifically.

Thoughts?

I have only ever done one excursion with a cruise line and that was in Puerto Rico because the excursion killed several hours and included luggage and airport tranfer. I have done many private excursions and never had a problem with getting back to the ship on time. Nevertheless looking at our port schedule and the length of the Chichen Itza tour, I opted to take the cruise line excursion just to be safe. Fortunately, my decision coincided with a sale by the cruise line!

• 3 weeks later...
Me and my husband are looking into the Uxmal ruins. I know the drive is 1.5 hours one way. We aren't going to chance it so plan on booking through the ship.

We visited Uxmal in late November 2017. Plenty to see and you can climb onto the pyramids for really spectacular views and even more photographs. It was a brilliant day out and the Guides really knew their stuff - and delivered it with gentle humour and passion.

We also visited Altun Ha in Belize about 4 days later - a different style of site and method of conserving the ruins. Guide was a site volunteer and also an actor so the information delivery was with effective drama!