NCL Breakaway New Years Cruise.

beachjulie

Just wondering if anyone on this cruise has had any information from NCL. It has been 2 months since I sent a letter through my TA, which received a case number so I know they got it. I am only looking for a response to my questions and for them to show they care enough to reply. This is my letter I sent:

http://file:///Users/julieschuler/Documents/personal/norwegian.docx

• We were passengers on the Norwegian Breakaway from December 29 to January 5, 2018. As experienced cruisers we expected a certain amount of weather at this time of year and this particular sailing. Nothing could prepare us for this and never did we expect to have a ship subject our lives in order to meet their bottom line.
  • This storm was forecasted well ahead of time by the National Weather Service and accurately predicted. On January 2nd it was predicted to cause coastal swells all along the eastern seaboard with predicted 30-40 foot waves. “Hazardous travel is likely” from the National Weather Service.There were no excuses for not knowing the impact. Why did the ship not choose to wait it out for a day in a port further south? I am not a Mariner but to me it seems the safest choice would be to shelter somewhere until the storm of this magnitude was completely gone . Was there zero percent risk that this could have gone the other way? That percentage however low, do you want it applied to your life? The “accepted risks when you board a ship” apply to the unavoidable not the ignored. The bottom line is NCL chose to sail into a storm that had hurricane winds and coastal flooding.
  • Why subject the ship to that kind of stress?…..balcony dividers were ripped off and falling to the open decks below,, the elevators were not functioning, elevator shafts were pouring water, carpets and ship areas flooded, outdoor furniture was thrown around even though it had been secured and tied by Norwegians crew.
  • Why subject the guests and crew to that kind of stress?……we had difficulty getting from the bed to the bathroom without holding on for dear life, our belongings along with glasses and ice buckets were thrown around the cabin as it canted from side to side, we watched a piano roll across the floor in the Headliners Club pinning two women to the bar, getting around the ship was hard and dangerous even holding on to hand rails, the risk of a fall or an injury was extremely heightened Being in an eleventh floor forward room we experienced stomach churning sense of free fall as we crashed over waves, We could not stay in our room and needed to join the every growing throng of people in the common areas of the ship.
  • We received no information on the storm from the bridge except for a canned repeated announcement morning and night saying we were in rough seas and were optimizing our course. There was no updated information to relieve panic or inform us as to what was happening.
  • Debarkation was delayed due to the Hudson being cleared of ice, ice on balconies, and custom officials making arrests on the ship. Once again NCL fell very short in their communication. There was no information given as to the delays, no information as to where to meet or line up for debarkation. People were left to themselves to make decisions about where to line up due to not enough staff being present to make things orderly. Everyone after everything we had gone through wanted to get off at the same time and the unorganized state of the debarkation was causing tempers to flare. This was a final straw for most.
  • NCL is selling a product, dinners in restaurants, pools, hot tubs, shows and romantic walks on the outdoor decks and areas. for 3 1/2 days we were cut off from these services and locked inside the ship and therefore did not receive what we paid for, yes weather can not be guaranteed but a safe passage and making every effort to ensure one can and should have been guaranteed Its a simple matter of standing behind the products you sell. Was the storm Norweigian's fault? Of course not. Was the unsafe passage NCL’s fault…YES!! You buy a TV from Walmart, turn it on and discover it doesn't work? Was that Walmart's fault? Likely no, but they stand behind their products. They don't say tough, TV's may be broken. They make it right, and Norwegian needs to as well.
  • Norwegian needs to live up the expectations and standards that they have of their staff and crew which is to make our trip as safe, pleasant and enjoyable as possible.

I was unable to open your letter. I was on the NYE cruise. I didn't write them an e-mail or send them a letter. We are very happy with the $569.00 PP credit we received. Applied it to next years Christmas/NYE cruise on the Gem.

We did not get that

From what I saw on here and elsewhere ncl sent any email offering 25% off a future cruise, which I'm guessing is what the poster above is referencing. Not sure if it had to go through your TA, but I'd go back and search my emails for it.

I don't recall seeing anyone getting a better offer than that.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

From what I saw on here and elsewhere ncl sent any email offering 25% off a future cruise, which I'm guessing is what the poster above is referencing. Not sure if it had to go through your TA, but I'd go back and search my emails for it.

I don't recall seeing anyone getting a better offer than that.

Correct..That $569.00 PP was a result of a 25% credit received for a future cruise. Just have to use it withing a year. We have been on over 50 cruises including the famous Anthem of the Seas cruise a few years ago. That's the one where the Captain though he could "outrun" the storm..lol

Correct..That $569.00 PP was a result of a 25% credit received for a future cruise. Just have to use it withing a year. We have been on over 50 cruises including the famous Anthem of the Seas cruise a few years ago. That's the one where the Captain though he could "outrun" the storm..lol
You were on that one too? Remind me not to sail with you! [emoji6] Would you say one was worse than the other? Just curious.

Your question was why did they decide to sail. Obviously they felt the ship and passengers would be safe, and they were. The forecast did change, I’m in the NYC area and it was worse than predicted, Weather here tends to do that, they once closed NYC (rare) for a predicted huge storm, and we got a dusting.

What do you want? Usually complaint letters ask for some sort of solution, compensation.

You were on that one too? Remind me not to sail with you! [emoji6] Would you say one was worse than the other? Just curious.

Anthem was much worst. The Captain got on the loudspeaker and ordered all passengers to stay in their cabin. He literally faced the ship into the wind and we were stationary for 11 hours until the storm passed us and it was safe to continue south. I've been sailing Winters from NYC area for years . That was truly the only time I feared for my life.

Your question was why did they decide to sail. Obviously they felt the ship and passengers would be safe, and they were. The forecast did change, I’m in the NYC area and it was worse than predicted, Weather here tends to do that, they once closed NYC (rare) for a predicted huge storm, and we got a dusting.

What do you want? Usually complaint letters ask for some sort of solution, compensation.

I am only looking for a response to my letter. Thats it!!!

We received 250$ future cruise credit tone used within a year but can not use it as we have no more holidays in this year