Snorkeling in Ketchikan

Jade31

Anyone do the snorkeling tour in Ketchikan to Mountain Pt through cruise or through Snorkel Alaska(I think is the only company)?

Is it worth it? From what I've researched you see a bunch of jellyfish, starfish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers. But since its a 3 hr long trip and Holland America is only in port from 7AM - 1PM and the tour leaves in the middle is it better than exploring the town of Ketchikan? (would have been better if it left at 7AM so then I'd have the rest of the day to explore the town ). What is a must see in Ketchikan? Creek Street?

Is Creek Street far from the port? Could I possibly visit it in less than 2 hrs if I go in the morning?

Brrrr...snorkeling in Ketchikan sounds cold. (Do you use a wet suite to stay warm? ) Unless you are an avid snorkeler. I would also be concerned about rain impacting your visibility. Both times I've been to Ketchikan it rained hard even if the rest of the port stops were sunny.

Creek street is within walking distance. (Or free shuttle) You could go early and get in a self guided walking tour before your snorkeling trip. If you are wanting to see the area without the stores being open for shopping. Also you could still see the fish ladders if the salmon are running.

I would recommend the Discovery center and a self guided walking tour but that's my preference.

I'm a snorkeler, and loved snorkeling in Ketchikan. You wear 7mm wet suits, so you will be warm, not cold. When I took off my wet suit, steam escaped! It rained when we went, but we were in the water, so getting wet wasn't a problem. Visibility was fine. The sea life is different from warm water areas - there were lots of different start fish, and a beautiful kelp forest. Look on YouTube - there are quite a few videos that show what you will see. Also search on this forum for Ketchikan snorkeling and you will see several reviews. I definitely recommend going, especially if you like to snorkel. That said, if it's worth it is a personal decision - it definitely was worth it for me.

Since Creek Street is just a few minutes from where the ship docks, there should be time to walk over for a bit.

We were in port from 7-2 in early July this year. We did the snorkeling from 7-10 and had plenty of time to walk around creek street for an hour or two and then meet up with some family for a drink and some shopping.

I loved the snorkeling. It was 55 degrees and sunny the day we went and I was very warm in the suit. We went at low tide which I think helped in being able to see lots of wildlife. We saw beautiful and colorful starfish (some with over 15 arms), sea cucumbers, sea urchins, muscles, poisonous and non-poisonous jelly fish, crabs, several types of fish, and lots of kelp.

I did it. I love snorkeling/scuba diving and it was something I really wanted to do.

I saw kelp (my first time!) and jelly fish, also a first. Some fish, but to me, it was worth it. I saw a ton of starfish too! I was very nervous about the 7mm wet suit since I don’t normally fit, but they even made that easy. However, it was not something I would go back to do.

My parents did the Bering sea tour, and they saw some amazing eagles, and I am kinda jealous over that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did it. Water was actually warm enough that I wouldn't have needed the wetsuit, but it was not an option.

On our day (7-24-2018), an algae bloom had reduced visibility to around 3 feet.

I mostly did it for bragging rights (snorkeling in Alaska). While I found the different marine life from my home beaches interesting and pretty, I wouldn't do it again. In a more direct answer to your question, if I had to choose this or another excursion, or had limited time, I now know I could skip it and not feel as if I'd missed anything special (other than the bragging rights). But that's me.

Hubby took three teenaged girls snorkeling in Ketchikan. He had a good time but probably wouldn’t do it again. The weather was 40 and wet when they went. Exactly the same as it was under water. I think they were dryer snorkeling than we were.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are only two types of divers. Those that pee in their wetsuit and those that lie about peeing in their wetsuit. Not sure I’d want one that someone else peed in. That said, similar to what you’d find all down the west coast. Kelp is cool but there’s way better kelp in California. I’m not doing this on my Ketchikan stop and I don’t feel bad about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I went with my sister and her friend in 2013 - I loved it, they were not as excited about it. It wasn't cold - but those wetsuits, and the hood and everything made both of them feel really claustrophobic! The kelp forest was cool, and all the sunflower starfish i saw were huge - we did get lucky and get a sunny day, so visibility was good. I did get off the ship early and walked around town - we were on the same 7-1 schedule- there were actually a few shops open, and I was able to scope out ones I wanted to head back to (quickly) after the snorkel tour ended. Glad I did it once, don't know if I'll do it again when we go back next year.