Zaandam to Antarctica: Cabin location for Drake Shake!

Bella0714

I know that the lower the deck the better, so we’ve narrowed it down to decks one (Dolphin) and two (Main), and I know that the closer to the middle of the ship the better if seas get rough. But how close to the middle do we have to be before the effects of motion become more extreme? Can anyone share their experiences with Drake Shake and cabins that aren’t in the middle? FYI, we are considering Category F on Deck One.

Thanks to all,

Dave

It's been a few years since my cruise, but I seem to recall that the motion was in all dimensions. Up and down, swaying side to side. We were on deck 7, in the middle. I was quite nauseous on the Drake crossings and the seas weren't particularly rough. I don't recall the theater or the dining venues, which are at the ends of the ship, being any more rough than my midship cabin.

Why stateroom location may not help in 'heavy seas' -

Remember, a ship moves in six degrees of motion. There are three rotational motions: roll, pitch and yaw. Rolling is a rotation around a longitudinal axis, pitching is a rotation around the transverse axis and yawing is a rotation around the vertical axis. But, there are also three linear motions: heave, sway and surge. Heaving is the linear motion along the vertical Z-axis (up/down), swaying is the motion along the transverse Y-axis (port/starboard), and surging is the motion along the longitudinal X-axis (faster/slower).

Having a room located low in the center can minimize the three rotational motions. However, it will do nothing to minimize the three linear motions as these are experienced equally throughout the entire ship.

If it storms the ship will move. The least movement, as you said, is lower down in the middle. Highest movement is up top front and rear. If you are concerned about seasickness you should take medication for it.

It is called the drake shake, but not all crossings are stormy, so you might get lucky. Anyway, the destination is worth it.

Between the forward and aft elevators should be close enough to mid-ship in most circumstances. Of the two, I would choose between the mid-ship elevators and the aft ones, as the aft tends to have less motion than forward.

I have sat in the Lido, where there's a window facing forward (just about mid-ship), and watched the ship rise on the waves, then SLAM! into the trough behind it, only to repeat with every wave. The splashing reached the verandas on the decks below. I wouldn't have wanted to be in even a low cabin forward in those conditions.

Thanks to all for your replies. Part of our problem is that if we want to choose our cabin and be in or near the middle of the ship, we have to choose Main Deck (Deck 2), but we'd prefer not to be on Deck 2 because of possible noise from people walking or, against the rules, running on the promenade deck above. If we want Dolphin Deck (Deck 1) center or close to center, we have to take a guaranteed rate, and we just don't want to risk that on a cruise in which location might be so important (if HAL upgrades us, their idea of an upgrade might not be ours; we don't want to be in a higher cabin).

So, the cabins we're leaning toward (no pun intended!) are forward 1826, right next to the forward elevators, and 1919, right next to the aft elevators. We could buy an actual cabin more towards the middle on HAL's site, but that'll run us another $1,800 and take us into expedition-cruise price territory.

So, the cabins we're leaning toward (no pun intended!) are forward 1826, right next to the forward elevators, and 1919, right next to the aft elevators.

Of the two, I would book 1919, but I would take a good look at Main Deck a little farther forward.

It's going to be very cold on a lot of your cruise, so people are going to be out on Lower Promenade enjoying the scenery, and even walking, but not so much jogging. When it's not so cold, it's going to be extremely hot. Even fewer people will be out there walking and even fewer jogging in that heat.

1826 has the disadvantage, in my opinion, of having its door open directly onto the stairway/elevator foyer. But, I have had 1828 in the past and the ride was good. (This was not an Antarctic cruise, but a Caribbean one. On my Antarctic cruise, I had an E category, very close to the D/E boundary and was very pleased with the stateroom in all respects.)

1919 will be across from a crew pantry, I believe. But, that ought not to be a problem.

I would avoid a Main Deck outside stateroom due to potential overhead noise of footsteps. I had one on Amsterdam. It was bearable, but, that deck is not my favorite location. Didn't need my alarm clock on that cruise; the early morning walkers were my alarm.

I was in cabin 3352 and it was comfortable. The Drake passage did not have too much movement but coming back up from Antarcitca we hit a storm and the ship was moving quite a bit.

Yes, 3352 seems to be about as good as you can get regarding location. You were dead-center and low. We're looking at something more off-center. But thanks. Dave