" The Friends Of Captain McNaught "

GAV BOY

I have decided to set this up as although we know the fate of the "QE2" we still do not know the fate of Captain McNaught who is one of Cunards most popular Captains.

Where will he go at the end of November 2008 ?

I hope selfishly that he is transfered to "QV" and then the new "QE" as i believe this is no less than he deserves.

I was onboard when the sale of QE2 was announced and a few days later was invited to the Captains Quarters for cocktails, since then i have been invited several more times, also to the Wardroom for drinks. I also had the geat pleasure to meet Mrs McNaught and their Son Steven a great lad who is also hoping to become a Captain.

I have also been invited to the Bridge twice, thanks i think mainly to Mrs McNaught. In January when my Dad and i were onboard for the Tanden crossing to NYC with "QV" we had the honour of sitting at Captain McNaughts dinning table.

Ian always has time to talk to anyone despite being very busy.

Since then i have become good friends with the Family.

Captain McNaught is a huge asset to Cunard and i hope we find out soon where he will be going within Cunard.

Gavin.

Captain McNaught is a great captain with a charming personality. I feel privileged to have sailed with him on QE2 many times since the days when he was Chief Officer.

I was speaking to another Cunard senior officer last month and he said that the plans for where everyone would go once QE2 goes out of service have still not been finalized. However, he speculated that Captain McNaught would go to QV in preparation for taking out the new QE in 2010.

Captain McNaught is a great captain with a charming personality. I feel privileged to have sailed with him on QE2 many times since the days when he was Chief Officer.

I was speaking to another Cunard senior officer last month and he said that the plans for where everyone would go once QE2 goes out of service have still not been finalized. However, he speculated that Captain McNaught would go to QV in preparation for taking out the new QE in 2010.

Thanks to the McNaught Family i have very special memories that i will take away with me.

Whichever Cunard Liner/Ship Ian is Master of is where i will mainly be.

Gavin

Gavin,

We were on the Tandem Crossing in January and I am sorry we did not meet. We're McNaught fans as well. Having read about Captain McNaught here before, I must say he is by far the best captain we have sailed under and the deep affection he has for our beloved QE2 clearly was evident. I spoke to him everyday on our crossing, sometimes briefly, sometimes at length. Never have I seen a more accessible captain and I deeply appreciated the time he spent to chat with me on all things QE2. I particularily charish his witty response to my question on running her up to speed for a bit. His charm and wit were appreciated as well with his noon updates.

I stood inline for quite some time to have him sign a few prints I purchased onboard. The line went round the ship and the signing time had to be extended to the following day, but he signed and chatted with everyone, one of the reasons the line was slow in moving, but no one was complaining. (Thanks to Ed, a WCC member for getting a few photos of the captain and myself during the signing.) We hope to sail with him again on whatever ship he lands on, hopefully a true "Liner" ;)

KenM

Gavin,

How thoughtful of you to start this thread for sharing reflections about Captain Ian McNaught.

I first met Ian McNaught in July 2003 during a westbound transatlantic crossing. I have sailed with him a few times after that, including last year's world cruise and the tandem crossing with Queen Victoria this past January.

Ian is my favorite captain. First and foremost, he is a consummate professional who is personally charming, witty, accessible and truly genuine. During the January crossing he remembered me by name from my previous sailings with him. I have enjoyed many unhurried conversations with him and feel honored to have been his guest for cocktails in his quarters and in the Ward Room on several occasions.

Among the many qualities in Ian which I admire most is his deep and abiding love for and understanding of our beloved QE2. How fitting an honor, albeit a bittersweet duty, that it will be Ian who will deliver QE2 to her new and final home in Dubai. I count myself fortunate to have gotten to know him and to be among the lucky passengers on QE2's final Atlantic crossing from New York in October. I look forward to seeing him in October and hopefully on other Cunard ships.

Simply stated, Captain McNaught is an individual of great integrity whose professional and personal commitment to the role of captain has earned him the respect and affection of his crew and scores of passengers. He is an asset to the company who merits management's highest words of praise.

Bobby "1119"

I have decided to set this up as although we know the fate of the "QE2" we still do not know the fate of Captain McNaught who is one of Cunards most popular Captains.

I hope selfishly that he is transfered to "QV" and then the new "QE" as i believe this is no less than he deserves.

I was onboard when the sale of QE2 was announced and a few days later was invited to the Captains Quarters for cocktails, since then i have been invited several more times, also to the Wardroom for drinks. I also had the geat pleasure to meet Mrs McNaught and their Son Steven a great lad who is also hoping to become a Captain.

I have also been invited to the Bridge twice, thanks i think mainly to Mrs McNaught. In January when my Dad and i were onboard for the Tanden crossing to NYC with "QV" we had the honour of sitting at Captain McNaughts dinning table.

Captain McNaught is a huge asset to Cunard and i hope we find out soon where he will be going within Cunard.

Gavin.

I agree, Gavin. Ian is the best Captain Cunard has, and they have many fine Officers. He is also their most respected and enthusiastic ambassador. I would love to see him at the helm of QM 2. I cannot imagine a better Captain to help preserve the traditional "feel" of a trans-Atlantic crossing on the new liner. His presence aboard will be the principal reason I will have to continue sailing on Cunard ships.

I have to most enthusiastically agree with all the accolades paid to Captain McNaught. Having heard the good Captain's humorous remarks comparing his liner to the cruise ship, I feel that Captain McNaught's place properly should be at the command of the QM2, a true liner. Let one of the QM2's captains take over the new QE!

Gavin,

Captain McNaught is my favourite captain although the Norwegian captain on the Balmnoral is a close second!

Maureen

Close second, he must be a very good Captain Maureen !

Gavin

Gavin,

We were on the Tandem Crossing in January and I am sorry we did not meet. We're McNaught fans as well. Having read about Captain McNaught here before, I must say he is by far the best captain we have sailed under and the deep affection he has for our beloved QE2 clearly was evident. I spoke to him everyday on our crossing, sometimes briefly, sometimes at length. Never have I seen a more accessible captain and I deeply appreciated the time he spent to chat with me on all things QE2. I particularily charish his witty response to my question on running her up to speed for a bit. His charm and wit were appreciated as well with his noon updates.

I stood inline for quite some time to have him sign a few prints I purchased onboard. The line went round the ship and the signing time had to be extended to the following day, but he signed and chatted with everyone, one of the reasons the line was slow in moving, but no one was complaining. (Thanks to Ed, a WCC member for getting a few photos of the captain and myself during the signing.) We hope to sail with him again on whatever ship he lands on, hopefully a true "Liner" ;)

KenM

Hi Ken,

Yes im also sorry we have not met yet, but hopefully we will soon. As you say Ian is always willing to sign ,all day if necessary. I have purchased several prints which Ian has kindly signed for me. Im so looking foward to my final three trips on "QE2" and i think Ian will be Captain for two of them.

Thank you for this tribute, im sure there are many more to come.

Gavin

Gavin,

How thoughtful of you to start this thread for sharing reflections about Captain Ian McNaught.

I first met Ian McNaught in July 2003 during a westbound transatlantic crossing. I have sailed with him a few times after that, including last year's world cruise and the tandem crossing with Queen Victoria this past January.

Ian is my favorite captain. First and foremost, he is a consummate professional who is personally charming, witty, accessible and truly genuine. During the January crossing he remembered me by name from my previous sailings with him. I have enjoyed many unhurried conversations with him and feel honored to have been his guest for cocktails in his quarters and in the Ward Room on several occasions.

Among the many qualities in Ian which I admire most is his deep and abiding love for and understanding of our beloved QE2. How fitting an honor, albeit a bittersweet duty, that it will be Ian who will deliver QE2 to her new and final home in Dubai. I count myself fortunate to have gotten to know him and to be among the lucky passengers on QE2's final Atlantic crossing from New York in October. I look forward to seeing him in October and hopefully on other Cunard ships.

Simply stated, Captain McNaught is an individual of great integrity whose professional and personal commitment to the role of captain has earned him the respect and affection of his crew and scores of passengers. He is an asset to the company who merits management's highest words of praise.

Bobby "1119"

Hi Bobby,

Thank you.

What a wonderful and thoughtful tribute (so much better than mine) for such a thoughtful Captain. If you think of anything else please share with us.

Regards,

Gavin

Gavin.

Gavin

I cannot help but fully agree with your comments (and the kind comments of others) regarding Captain McNaught. He is a true ambassador for the Cunard Company. He has time for everyone and his this is reflected in the crew he commands. I look forward to sailing with him to Dubai in November. It would be so appropriate if he became Captain designate of Queen Elizabeth.

I trust Cunard will do him the honour of graciously requesting he is bestowed a Knighthood for his services to the country and cruising industry.

We, The Penguins' Collective, were on board the QE2 when she did her Tandem Transatlantic Crossing in January, and had the honour and privilege of meeting the great man himself and we found him a fantastic gentleman, like few.

We also had the honour of being invited to his quarters (and let us tell you, it must not have been easy for the poor Captain to have all those penguins roaming around his quarters...)

He does deserve a ship worth of his command... and as we remember all the cheeky remark he would do, daily, on his noon announcements, on the QV, mayhaps, being transferred to her would be a bit cruel on him. It might seem like a demotion...

Maybe, the QM2 could be the right destination for the great Ian... as she would be a ship powerful enough for a man of his skills and experience?

As for the new QE2, let's wait and see what she will look like... and how well she will sail...

We, The Penguins' Collective, are of the view that after you have been driving a Ferrari and won the Championship, you cannot be transferred to a go-kart, can you? (Apologies to any QV fans... and any go-kart fans too!)

Still, may you sail for many years to come, and then some, Captain McNaught!

:)

Gavin

I cannot help but fully agree with your comments (and the kind comments of others) regarding Captain McNaught. He is a true ambassador for the Cunard Company. He has time for everyone and his this is reflected in the crew he commands. I look forward to sailing with him to Dubai in November. It would be so appropriate if he became Captain designate of Queen Elizabeth.

I trust Cunard will do him the honour of graciously requesting he is bestowed a Knighthood for his services to the country and cruising industry.

Hi Cunarder Man,

Thank you for that, im sure you know but Ian is a very modest Gentlemen and gives a lot of credit to his Staff and Crew(who are of course excellent) and im sure they like us have huge respect for him.

I hope Cunard will bestow on Ian the credit he deserves.

regards,

Gavin

I agree, Gavin. Ian is the best Captain Cunard has, and they have many fine Officers. He is also their most respected and enthusiastic ambassador. I would love to see him at the helm of QM 2. I cannot imagine a better Captain to help preserve the traditional "feel" of a trans-Atlantic crossing on the new liner. His presence aboard will be the principal reason I will have to continue sailing on Cunard ships.

Hi Richard,

We had a great time on Ian`s table especialy at the expense of one poor Lady who took it very well.

Thanks to yourself arranging for one of the Ships photographers to come and take a picture on one of the nights Ian was present, i now have another lovely memory.

regards,

Gavin

We also had the honour of being invited to his quarters (and let us tell you' date=' it must not have been easy for the poor Captain to have all those penguins roaming around his quarters...)

[/quote']

Yes another "Cabin Cavalcade" which ended in Ian`s Quarters thanks to his generous invite, and one that many of us were talking about for days after and still are.

Gavin

Ian McNaught was our first captain on QE2 in 2003...he'll be our last on QE2 when we sail to Dubai...(Oh we missed him so when he was "sent" to Princess ) We are now hoping he'll be our first again on Queen Elisabeth...he is definitly THE very BEST Captain....:)

Ian McNaught was our first captain on QE2 in 2003...he'll be our last on QE2 when we sail to Dubai...(Oh we missed him so when he was "sent" to Princess ) We are now hoping he'll be our first again on Queen Elisabeth...he is definitly THE very BEST Captain....:)

MV Queen Elizabeth.Thank you.

Can we please have a photograph of Superian with his underpants outside his trousers?

David

We, The Penguins' Collective, would not wish anybody's desire to be unfulfill'd (within reason)... thus, we retrieved a vintage photograph of the Captain who is stronger than a diesel engine, capable of jumping over the funnel with a single leap, and faster than the QV! (big deal that! he he he :p )

DSC00849.jpg.d97dff148306f317b8fcc6f94b8ba5da.jpg

Thank you, Oh flightless ones. I fear that the photograph is of such a vintage that it was before our superhero was elevated to Sainthood. Otherwise we would undoubtedly be able to see his halo in all its glory.

David

We' date=' The Penguins' Collective, would not wish anybody's desire to be unfulfill'd (within reason)... thus, we retrieved a vintage photograph of the Captain who is stronger than a diesel engine, capable of jumping over the funnel with a single leap, and faster than the QV! (big deal that! he he he :p )[/quote']

Excellent Photo !! :D Im sure Ian will be amused to see it and if he is not im sure Sue will be. :)

Got any more ? :p

BTW (Did not know Penguins could take Photo`s) :eek:

Gavin :cool:

BTW (Did not know Penguins could take Photo`s) :eek:

No, we The Penguins' Collective, do not... but occasionally do take photos... and can be quite pedantic :D (well, you have to realise that there is little to do during those long Antartic winters, so we, The Penguins' Collective, spend our times re-reading the Oxford Dictionary).

Anyway, thanks for the compliments for both of you two, so, we, The Penguins' Collective, have found another picture of the QE2... pardon, the Motor Vessel Queen Elizabeth 2, moored by night, and the Super Captain, using his metaphysical powers, hovers about her, with the halo that Dak was requesting about...

:cool:

SaintIan.jpg.2f9a19585ea8bb62cdd73c6d1e1d163e.jpg

No' date=' we The Penguins' Collective, do not... but occasionally do take [i']photos[/i]... and can be quite pedantic :D (well, you have to realise that there is little to do during those long Antartic winters, so we, The Penguins' Collective, spend our times re-reading the Oxford Dictionary).

Anyway, thanks for the compliments for both of you two, so, we, The Penguins' Collective, have found another picture of the QE2... pardon, the Motor Vessel Queen Elizabeth 2, moored by night, and the Super Captain, using his metaphysical powers, hovers about her, with the halo that Dak was requesting about...

:cool:

Thank you, once again, oh upside-down pedantic ones.

I also appreciate the insight into the Oxford Dictionary (Antartic Edition). For many years now, I have been under the impression that the penguins' habitat was the AntarCtic.

David

Archived