55+ Discounts

BaryBazz

Hi

Does anyone have any experience of Celebrity giving a discount to over 55's and this not being passed on by the travel agent

Bazzer

Probably best to ask this on the Celebrity forum, where you will reach many more folks with Celebrity experience:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Just to answer with a very general suggestion, but we have long recommended shopping around among several reputable online cruise agencies...and then doing a comparison to the cruise line's own site. This simple task, which should take less then 30 min for any cruise, can save you hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars. Trying to snag one type of discount (such as 55+) is not always wise as there are so many different promos and strategies.

Hank

Just to answer with a very general suggestion, but we have long recommended shopping around among several reputable online cruise agencies...and then doing a comparison to the cruise line's own site. This simple task, which should take less then 30 min for any cruise, can save you hundreds and sometimes even thousands of dollars. Trying to snag one type of discount (such as 55+) is not always wise as there are so many different promos and strategies.

Hank

Excellent advice. Presumably what you want is the best price for the sort of itinerary you are seeking. Focusing upon just one come-on could make you miss a just plain less expensive option. Cruise lines generally do not care if the sell cabins to teachers, veterans, firemen or the elderly. They use those "specials" to attract attention --- and not just to be nice to us old guys (just the opinion of an over 55 veteran who was a teacher).

Thanks for the replies but my query specifically related to an invoice obtained directly from celebrity which showed the 55+ discount applied but not refunded by the travel agent.

Bazzer

Not sure how it works in the UK

but any discounts come of the total cruise fare so your bottom line should reflect the difference

Are you saying the TA did not take the 55+ discount off the total fare?

sorry if I am missing your point

Not sure how it works in the UK

but any discounts come of the total cruise fare so your bottom line should reflect the difference

Are you saying the TA did not take the 55+ discount off the total fare?

sorry if I am missing your point

Yes your correct the TA did not take off the discount on the final bill. I wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience or was aware of it. Also are the TA obliged to pass on the discount or can they just keep it.

Bazzer

Excellent advice. Presumably what you want is the best price for the sort of itinerary you are seeking. Focusing upon just one come-on could make you miss a just plain less expensive option. Cruise lines generally do not care if the sell cabins to teachers, veterans, firemen or the elderly. They use those "specials" to attract attention --- and not just to be nice to us old guys (just the opinion of an over 55 veteran who was a teacher).

this.

in fact a few times by giving UP our military or loyalty discount, we often end up with a much better deal bottom line. last cruise we spent more up front but got all of that and more back in OBC and other perks.

Yes your correct the TA did not take off the discount on the final bill. I wanted to know if anyone has had the same experience or was aware of it. Also are the TA obliged to pass on the discount or can they just keep it.

Bazzer

I have not heard of that happening

I would question the TA why it was not given to you

Bazzer

Have you verified that the fare which was eligible for the 55+ discount was the one actually applied? What some of us are saying is that some other deal might have produced a lower final cost to you than that particular fare minus the 55+ discount. Example: if the eligible fare was $1,000 and the 55+ discount was 10%, or $100, you would have paid $900. But what if the agent swung a 12% discount for all deals booked through them- which would produce a $120 discount - or a net fare of $880. You would not see any 55+ discount, but you would have gotten a better deal. A lot of specified discounts are not applicable on all fare calculations.

Thanks for the replies but my query specifically related to an invoice obtained directly from celebrity which showed the 55+ discount applied but not refunded by the travel agent.

Bazzer

Sorry, but had not noticed you were in the UK. So forget everything I previously posted since all the rules are different in the EU (assuming you booked with an EU agent). You have all kind of EU and consumer protection rules...which generally mean you will pay more for less (like anything regulated by the government). But you do have better protection if your airline flight is canceled :).

Hank

Edited by Hlitner