flying from the DC/Baltimore area to Asia

johno95

If Cathay Pacific is an option then go with them! Best airline ever! They were high tech and had a lot more room in coach. That was a flight between Hong Kong and Manila, but not sure if they fly from US. Staff was great. That was 7 years ago, but it was a great flight.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

What class of service? What do you consider "major" and why does it matter? Are you trying to gain air miles in a certain alliance?

I do love Cathay Pacific across the board. They're above average in coach and excellent in business and first.

CX isn't an option from DC/Baltimore unless you want to drive/connect to EWR JFK or ORD. I'll second the fact they're excellent although I've only flown them in F.

Frankly from Washington area you've got tons of options since you won't have any non-stops to HKG or SIN.

I will definitely look into Cathy. I am not trying to get air miles. By major, I mean any airline that you hear about in the U.S., like American, Delta, United, etc.

What class of service? What do you consider "major" and why does it matter? Are you trying to gain air miles in a certain alliance?

I will definitely look into Cathy. I am not trying to get air miles. By major, I mean any airline that you hear about in the U.S., like American, Delta, United, etc.

You will have a much better experience on an Asian airline in any class than on any of the US carriers. Just because you've "heard" of an airline doesn't mean they offer a good flying experience. :)

I'm quite interested in this question as well. I've heard nothing but good about the 'Asian' airlines, especially Cathay Pacific. Any comments on the 'Middle Eastern' ones?

I absolutely despise flying United domestically - some of the worst experiences in my life! - is there any chance they're better internationally?

We flew the 1st leg from Ohare to Hong Kong on United. second leg was on Cathay. How I wish it was reversed and the 16 hour flight was on Cathay instead of just the 2 hour flight....if you can get on Cathay for 16 hours, do it.

While you may not be trying to get air miles, do make sure you collect them in the end. Going to Asia is, in my opinion, a lot of miles to leave behind...you never know when you'll be traveling again and miles add up.

For example, if you're going to Hong Kong, book DCA-JFK-HKG r/t on AA.com. Look for an AA codeshare (that is, an AA flight number, even though the flight is operated by Cathay Pacific from JFK-HKG-JFK) so you get full AA miles. If you book directly with Cathay Pacific and then try to credit those miles to American, you may not receive them all (or any) depending on the fare you purchase (not just "Coach" but "Full Fare Y Coach", for example). United partners with Singapore Airlines as another option (and of course has a major hub at Dulles, in your 'hood).

which airline do you like? for what reason? i hope it is a major one.

I haven't decided upon flying to either HK or Singapore.

Let me ask a a couple of seemingly off-topic questions. First, when are you traveling, and second, where else are you traveling within twelve months of the Asia trip (I assume for a cruise)?

The reason being, for some people with more than one trip a year, a "round-the-world" ticket can actually work out to be pretty good value. I did a long "primer" on RTW tickets here, but basically, let's imagine you were planning a couple of cruises after the Asian one, say in North America/Caribbean and in Europe.

RTW tickets are generally much cheaper when you start in other countries rather than the US. So using that imaginary plan, say you fly to Europe prior to your Asia trip, and purchase a "Oneworld Explorer" ticket in, say, Paris. The ticket allows up to 16 flights in three continents, for a price of roughly $2600 plus taxes and fees.

Fly to Asia from Europe, using, say, Cathay Pacific, or British Airways, or Qantas... Do your cruise, then fly home, maybe via Hawaii or Japan.

You'll then have six flights available within North America, which includes Alaska, Canada, the Caribbean and Central America. An Alaska cruise next summer? Caribbean in late winter? A sunbreak in Mexico or Costa Rica? All possible. Return home and resume working, living.

Then, later (before 12 months is up) return to Europe - maybe for a Baltic or Mediterranean cruise? Then end back in France, and fly home. You'll have earned enough frequent flyer miles to easily "pay" for the trip home.

$2600 plus taxes, say $3K, is a lot to spend for one round trip, but for 16 flights it comes down to under $200 per flight, hard to beat for CDG-HKG or something similar. Or, if you really want to splurge, head to Japan or Egypt or Israel instead of France and pick up a business class RTW there for $6K per person, and sleep in airborne beds, earn enough FF miles for a "free" trip to Europe in business class later, whatever.

It's not for everyone, but I encourage frequent travelers, such as those who post here, to have RTWs in their toolboxes just in case it makes sense.

If Cathay Pacific is an option then go with them! Best airline ever! They were high tech and had a lot more room in coach. That was a flight between Hong Kong and Manila, but not sure if they fly from US. Staff was great. That was 7 years ago, but it was a great flight.

Don't you know you are not allowed to comment on an airline if you haven't flown them recently, ;)

See this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2080538

I second the Middle Eastern airlines. As posted, all fly out of Washington, DC area. Some of the prices have been simply spectacular recently. The Middle Eastern airlines went on a buying spree at the Paris airshow and need to fill seats. The connections into Asia from Dubai, Abu Dhabi or Doha are easy and usually pretty cheap because you have a wealth of Asian airlines (including quite a few "low cost" but not rock bottom budget like RyanAir) flying into those airports.

FORGET DELTA, AA, UNITED. Sad, sad experience compared to the foreign airlines. And I am a VERY loyal AA flier.