Question: Steamer - NOT for onboard use

RobertL88

This week I am staying in Miami prior to our cruise on Saturday on the Carnival Conquest. Now I bought a small (travel) steamer for use at home and during other trips (we don’t have these steamers back at home). I know these steamers are not allowed to be brought onboard, but I would like to take it home with me.

Is there a way to bring the steamer onboard and hand it in somewhere until the end of the cruise? It would really be a shame if it got confiscated and thrown away...

Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by RobertL88

This week I am staying in Miami prior to our cruise on Saturday on the Carnival Conquest. Now I bought a small (travel) steamer for use at home and during other trips (we don’t have these steamers back at home). I know these steamers are not allowed to be brought onboard, but I would like to take it home with me.

Is there a way to bring the steamer onboard and hand it in somewhere until the end of the cruise? It would really be a shame if it got confiscated and thrown away...

Any advice? Thanks!

Anything confiscated at embarkation is returned at disembarkation, not thrown out, with the exception of opened liquor bottles.

Anything confiscated at embarkation is returned at disembarkation, not thrown out, with the exception of opened liquor bottles.

That sounds good. I didn’t know it would be returned, since carnival states that they will not provide compensation for confiscated items.

Should I pack it in my suitcase or my hand luggage then?

That sounds good. I didn’t know it would be returned, since carnival states that they will not provide compensation for confiscated items.

Should I pack it in my suitcase or my hand luggage then?

Suggest packing on your hand luggage before going to terminal if you intend to declare and hand it over for safekeeping on embarkation.

Suggest packing on your hand luggage before going to terminal if you intend to declare and hand it over for safekeeping on embarkation.

I would venture to guess that if you pack it in hand luggage, they will not allow it on and tell you to return it to your car, which the OP will not have. Put it in your checked luggage and they will confiscate it and return it at the end of the cruise.

I will vote for checked luggage too. I don't know that the security in port will accept anything. I have seen all kinds of things discarded because it wasn't allow on board. Now if it is in your check luggage they will either remove it once onboard and leave a note in your suitcase or ask you to come down to the "naughty room" to get your suitcase. Either way it will be onboard and you can pick it up at the end of your cruise.

Happy sailings.

Side question (but sort of related to thread topic LOL!):

Is there still a Naughty Room? I haven't heard of anyone in ages being called down to the room to review something found in their luggage... I've only heard lately that contraband items (booze) are confiscated and disposed of, other items like power strips, steamers, etc, are removed, a note left and passenger can claim it at the end of the cruise...

It made me wonder if the Naughty Room still exists! Anyone had recent experience?

Any advice? Thanks!

Yes you can.

Any advice? Thanks!

I would suggest that you quickly take it to a pack and ship place and have them ship it back to your home while you are on the cruise. Maybe the hotel you are staying with could do that for you before you cruise. Will cost you a couple of bucks, but it takes away the hassle of taking it on to the ship, checking it with "someone" on the ship, and then making sure you get it back at the end of the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you all for your replies.

Meanwhile I'm back from my cruise. I packed the steamer in my hand luggage, and no one said a word about it and I was able to take it on board with me.

Not very reassuring. Heaven knows what else security missed!