London Fish & Chips

Hi

I searched the boards and didn't find this topic...

which seemed odd to me :confused:

Are there any "hands-down" best fish & chips we should not miss "whilst" in London?

That's it - nothing major, but curious!

THANSK!

pubs are good places to eat..reasonable and where the locals eat....did not see a real fish and chip place in london...locals are more likely to go for a curry.....we did eat at a restaurant in Windsor just down from the castel where we had the special of the day which was fish and chips...

I would google for london restaurants to get local info...cruise critic folks do not have the time in port to really aim for restaurants with everything else they plan to see...we normally grab street food or a bite where we see locals eating..do not spend time sitting for a meal unless exhausted

There are 2 that I have been to and would go to again. One is the Seashell restaurant which is not far from Marleybone(?) station and the other is a small take away shop in Greenwich on the right hand side of the street as you start walking into town after getting of the Thames river cruise. The last time we were there the chips were in the bottom of the paper with the fish on top. Sorry, but I don't remember the name, but the shop is close to the dock.

One is the Seashell restaurant which is not far from Marleybone(?) station ...
The Sea Shell can be very good. However, it has changed hands a number of times over the last 20 years, and on each occasion the new owners have made some changes. Sometimes the experience has become better, sometimes worse. Some of the worst changes happened soon after it became well known in the US, and were made in order to fleece the "American tourist" market. But the effect on the restaurant's local reputation meant that the following set of owners did more work to try to recover some of the quality the place had been known for before.

Because it's now the wrong side of town for me, I haven't been for a long time so can't give any view about its current offering. It's worth a try.

A frequent recommendation closer to where I now live is Masters Superfish on Waterloo Road, about 10 minutes walk from Waterloo station. This routinely appears on "best fish and chips in London" lists. But check its opening hours, because it's not open for quite as long as you might expect.

As a mentioned above 'proper' fish and chips you do not get in a restauarant or pub, these to my mind tastle very little different to fish and chips you can buy anywhere else in the world.

'Proper' fish and chips you get from a dedicated take away fish and chip shop and eat with your fingers with optional helpings of salt annd/or vinegar.

I would say the main difference is a fish and chip shop buys in WET Fish -- and makes their own batter - and uses FRESH peeled potatoes for the chips . The menu will have mainly just fish options or Pies with the chips --sometimes *mushy peas* too.

A pub resturant -will buy-in fish already 'battered/ and uses bulk bag frozen chips ..... and will have a varied menu of meats fish etc - served with Salads - chips veg etc

Personally, I don't think that fish & chips in a pub or restaurant are the same thing at all as what you get from a proper fish & chip shop. If you want the real thing, it's worth seeking one out.

The famous "Harry Ramsdens" fish & chips shop has a branch at Euston Station.

As a mentioned above 'proper' fish and chips you do not get in a restauarant or pub, these to my mind tastle very little different to fish and chips you can buy anywhere else in the world.

'Proper' fish and chips you get from a dedicated take away fish and chip shop and eat with your fingers with optional helpings of salt annd/or vinegar.

Can you recommend a fish & chip shop near to Victoria Station?

Seafresh Fish Restaurant,

80-81 Wilton Rd, SW1V 1DL (020 7828 0747)

Victoria tube/rail.

Open Mon-Fri 12noon-3pm, 5-10.30pm; Sat 12noon 10.30pm.

Jane

x

Thanks,

we'll give it a try.

dog:)

Google has it as 12 mins walking from your hotel to my recommended 'chippy'.

Jane

x

icon_greenA.pngLondon SW1E 6AF

UK

1.Head northeast on St James' Ct toward B323/Buckingham Gatecamera_dr1.png108 ft

2.Turn right at B323/Buckingham Gate Continue to follow B323

0.2 mi

3.Turn left at B323/Greycoat Pl141 ft

4.Turn right to stay on B323/Greycoat Pl49 ft

5.Slight right at B324/Rochester Row0.3 mi

6.Turn right at A202/Vauxhall Bridge Rd33 ft

7.Turn left at B324/Warwick Way466 ft

8.Turn right at Wilton Rd Destination will be on the right

89 ft

icon_greenB.pngLondon SW1V 1DL

UK

camera_dr1.png

Try checking out the UK-Ireland BB on Flyertalk.com. Do a search first, but ask away. I am sure there will be lots of opinions. The topic is under 'The World' category.

JP of Seabourn fame with a picture , no less. Cool!!

Len

I have ate at Sea Shell of Lisson Grove many times over the years, it is quite good. This is the fish & chip shop that is recommended by most taxi drivers in London. Many years ago a driver recommended a different one, North Sea Fish Restraint, 7/8 Leigh St, in the area of Russell Square. I have tried every Fish & Chip shop recommended by travel books, hotels & taxi drivers & find North Sea to be consistently the best. It is a little pricey but well worth the cost, when people find this place they return.

If you are not keen on malt vinegar then most chippies will have onion vinegar - this is the clear juice from a jar of pickled onions and is much milder.

I have ate at Sea Shell of Lisson Grove many times over the years, it is quite good. This is the fish & chip shop that is recommended by most taxi drivers in London. Many years ago a driver recommended a different one, North Sea Fish Restraint, 7/8 Leigh St, in the area of Russell Square. I have tried every Fish & Chip shop recommended by travel books, hotels & taxi drivers & find North Sea to be consistently the best. It is a little pricey but well worth the cost, when people find this place they return.

Heads up - if you are looking to go to the SeaShell soon I would think again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/8200623.stm

We were in London in May and the best Pub food and fish and chips was at Westminster Arms. It is near the Churchill War museum and I read about it in a Rick Steves travel guide. Address is 9 Storey's Gate in Westminster. It is jammed with parliament workers and other office people, but you go upstairs to eat. Downstairs is for drinking and it spills out into the street everyday. All locals except for few tourists who have discovered it. If you want a true London Pub experience this is it.:o

We were in London in May and the best Pub food and fish and chips was at Westminster Arms. It is near the Churchill War museum and I read about it in a Rick Steves travel guide. Address is 9 Storey's Gate in Westminster. It is jammed with parliament workers and other office people, but you go upstairs to eat. Downstairs is for drinking and it spills out into the street everyday. All locals except for few tourists who have discovered it. If you want a true London Pub experience this is it.:o

Two things Did you go to the Churchill Museum? Sounds like something

DH would like. What was the cost and was it crowded?

Pubs are my favorite in London. What was the cost? Do you just

go upstairs and then order or order downstairs and take your food up?

Thanks we will be there in 2 weeks and doing my last minute planning.

Archived