First time cruise after gastric sleeve

sydney dog

Every night, I tell the waiter I'm not too hungry. Then, I eat what I want. Then, when I leave half on the plate I say "that'd was so good. The only reason I didn't finish was that I was full". And, on the first night I say "I don't eat much".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Every night, I tell the waiter I'm not too hungry. Then, I eat what I want. Then, when I leave half on the plate I say "that'd was so good. The only reason I didn't finish was that I was full". And, on the first night I say "I don't eat much".

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks that's good advice[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• 10 months later...

Our next cruise is in 28 days. I will be about 9 weeks out from gastric bypass. I am little anxious about this because my favorite things to do on a cruise is eat and drink at the bar. I need to find new favorite things to do, but I have no idea what! I was thinking that I can still sit at the bar and order a cocktail, but have a water with it and sip on that one drink as long as possible. What do y'all think?

Our next cruise is in 28 days. I will be about 9 weeks out from gastric bypass. I am little anxious about this because my favorite things to do on a cruise is eat and drink at the bar. I need to find new favorite things to do, but I have no idea what! I was thinking that I can still sit at the bar and order a cocktail, but have a water with it and sip on that one drink as long as possible. What do y'all think?

Well... I am 7 years out, and I was told no alcohol till I hit goal. Personally, I wouldn’t drink that soon out... I’d bring crystal light packets to mix with water.

Note, I’m still under my goal weight. Now, when I cruise, I eat/drink till satisfied, and gain a little but diet when I get home. I waited about 1 year to start drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well... I am 7 years out, and I was told no alcohol till I hit goal. Personally, I wouldn’t drink that soon out... I’d bring crystal light packets to mix with water.

Note, I’m still under my goal weight. Now, when I cruise, I eat/drink till satisfied, and gain a little but diet when I get home. I waited about 1 year to start drinking.

Thanks for your insight. We ordered a couple of cases of bottled water and I am bringing my favorite drink packets with us, so I'm sure I will be happy with that. This will be the first cruise where I actually use the gym, so I can't wait for that.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Will I still be able to eat what I like, just A LOT less.

Well, it doesn't quite work that way. From surgery until the day you die, you need to make only healthy, nutritious foods your choices...not "whatever I like." Each doctor's plan can be a bit different, but in general you'll be on clear liquids for a few days to a week. Usually on full liquids for 2 weeks, pureed foods for 2 weeks, then soft foods for 2 more weeks. At about 6-7 weeks you'll transition to "regular" foods, but should only introduce them one at a time in case your new stomach doesn't like them. Eating too fast or too much can cause pain and nausea, so you must stick to the doctor's plan exactly. No more fast food, junk food, chips, processed foods, soda pop and carbonated drinks, alcohol, high carbs, high fats or any sugars! If what you like is healthy unprocessed foods then you can eventually have what you like. ;p

As far as portion size, 1/4 c. of food per meal is all you'll be able to fit into your stomach for awhile. And sometimes even that amount can make you uncomfortable. You'll work up to 1/2 c. per meal, then by about a year post-op you can eat 1 to 1.5 c. per meal.

I'm just 4 weeks post-op from gastric sleeve surgery and am ingesting about 400-700 calories/day. You need to try to get 45-80g of protein/day and drink 64 oz. of water. Especially at first when you're not eating real food, you'll need to get protein from protein shakes, protein powder in foods and/or protein water.

Take all these things into consideration when deciding to travel soon after surgery.....be sure to talk it over with your doctor first and get his/her OK. I'll be taking a cruise 6 months post-op and my doctor said I'll be fine.....I'll be very healed and have been eating regular foods for about 4.5 months by then. Actually, a cruise can make it easy to get good food choices....there are good protein sources (meats, seafood, beans, etc) and lots of fruits/veggies. Just be sure not to get them slathered in butter or sauces! ;)

No more fast food, junk food, chips, processed foods, soda pop and carbonated drinks, alcohol, high carbs, high fats or any sugars! If what you like is healthy unprocessed foods then you can eventually have what you like. ;p

! ;)

This is simply not true. I am over 7 years out from the sleeve, and stay well under my goal weight. I eat whatever food I want, except much less of it. I try to eat more protein at the beginning of the meal, so I fill up faster. Too much sugar does make me nauseous, so I don’t pig out on things like ice cream and candy anymore. I do eat fast food, alcohol, processed foods, etc- I just no longer over eat it.

This is simply not true. I am over 7 years out from the sleeve, and stay well under my goal weight. I eat whatever food I want, except much less of it. I try to eat more protein at the beginning of the meal, so I fill up faster. Too much sugar does make me nauseous, so I don’t pig out on things like ice cream and candy anymore. I do eat fast food, alcohol, processed foods, etc- I just no longer over eat it.

Well, that's not the recommendations from any bariatric practice or website that I've seen. I feel that I've been given a once-in-a-lifetime "do over", so I plan to follow my doctor's and dietitian's advice and not screw up my chance to be healthier. I've actually been eating clean for a couple years but only lost a little weight. I prefer healthy foods to fast/junk foods anyway.

But the OP hasn't had surgery yet so I don't think its wise to let them believe that they'll be able to eat "whatever food they want" in the beginning! They need to diligently follow their doctor's instructions.

Well, that's not the recommendations from any bariatric practice or website that I've seen. I feel that I've been given a once-in-a-lifetime "do over", so I plan to follow my doctor's and dietitian's advice and not screw up my chance to be healthier. I've actually been eating clean for a couple years but only lost a little weight. I prefer healthy foods to fast/junk foods anyway.

But the OP hasn't had surgery yet so I don't think its wise to let them believe that they'll be able to eat "whatever food they want" in the beginning! They need to diligently follow their doctor's instructions.

Note- I am following my Dr’s instructions. Strict clean eating first year, then can gradually work back to eating any food I want, as long as I eat high protein, normal calories. My best friend does the same, and she’s still under goal at 9 years out.

Note- I am following my Dr’s instructions. Strict clean eating first year, then can gradually work back to eating any food I want, as long as I eat high protein, normal calories. My best friend does the same, and she’s still under goal at 9 years out.

I'm very glad that you and your friend are doing well and have stayed under goal weight for many years! That's great!

But you sound like you're trying to tell collector that they can "eat whatever they want" right from the beginning....this person hasn't even had surgery yet! I was trying to advise this person that in the beginning you cannot eat whatever you want, just alot less. Surely you didn't eat whatever you wanted during the first few months after surgery?? I would be shocked if you did. This person should know that when they get to 7 years from now, then maybe that will work....but not immediately post-op and even during the first few months. They'll only be 3.5 months post-op when they take their cruise.

Ah, I see.. :). No, collector needs to definitely follow the doctor’s plan :). I had a very strict plan to follow, from 10 days before surgery, until about a year after.... once I was well under goal, then the doctor had me start adding in things like a piece of toast etc, if I wanted it :). I couldn’t have a piece of pizza 3 months after, but now I can :)....

Andyt3- I think the windjammer will be your friend :). Your hubby should be able to mash up hard boiled eggs for breakfast, and eat well chewed other proteins like chicken and cheese for other meals. He wont likely be able to eat more than a quarter cup at that point. If you can find refried beans, that’s also an easy thing for him to eat.

Hi everyone. My husband just had the sleeve surgery 2 weeks ago this past Monday. We leave November 10th on our cruise.

Any advice you would all be able to pass along to make this a little easier?

Congrats to your hubby!

I had my sleeve done about 3 weeks before him (August 1) and am on my last week of soft foods. Next week I can venture into "real" foods, but have learned that eating isn't always easy. My new stomach finds certain things ok and other things not. It's trial and error. As vacationlover_mn said, he'll still probably be eating 1/4 -1/2 c. of food on the cruise, but by 12 weeks he should be able to find many appropriate food choices onboard.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the advice!!

He has actually transitioned into the "ground" stage according to the booklet that was provided by his surgeons office and nutritionist. He has been doing really well (thankfully) and his spirits are still very high. We recently received an upgrade from an interior to a balcony guarantee on our November cruise, so he is really looking forward to having that balcony to relax on without all the commotion of the main deck.

We got the water package so he should be good with that as well as the tips you guys have provided. Thanks again!!!

Congrats again to the hubby! I love my sleeve :). Please note, I do occasionally watch “My 600 lb Life”, as a reminder of where I was headed. They sometime have sleeved people who eat an entire pizza 1 month out, and fail weight loss and don’t know why. I am many years out, and still can’t do more than 1 slice without feeling stuffed. It is so important to listen to your body, and not ignore it’s “full” cues. Have a great trip!!

That's also awesome advice! Is there a brand of bars that you find work best for you and are low in sugar, high in protein? As far as I know, he is still having issues with chalky textures like the Unjury OPurity sleeve optimized multi-vitamin, but he manages to get it down.