HAL Pricing one year out on the Nieuw Statendam

Hello all,

I'm a relatively new cruiser to the Holland America line, so I'm still trying to figure out their pricing structure/offers, etc.

I just did my 23rd cruise (on the Rotterdam) and absolutely loved it! (Photo review in my signature).

I've been scouring all of the cruiselines trying to find a good option for Spring Break with my family next year (March, 2019) and came across the Nieuw Statendam. We're all excited about the possibility.

My first question regarding pricing is this: I'm finding third-party sellers majorly undercutting HAL! I've never experienced this with Royal Caribbean or Carnival. Yes, third-party vendors may throw in some onboard credit or something from their commissions, but in this case, I'm talking about a huge price difference. I called HAL to see if there was a fare I wasn't seeing online and whether I could book directly with them and get this fare, but she said no. She wasn't really interested in telling me any other fare options. Hmm...

So I'm looking at the VH Veranda cabin on the Nieuw Statendam and since the ship isn't actually sailing yet, it's hard for me to pinpoint exactly what I should be paying. Trying to gauge what we consider good value.

At the moment, I have a booking for the 4 of us in a VH (one that is on the edge of the lifeboat, not front and center) for $2300 all in, 4 people including taxes and port charges. I thought this was a great deal for a new ship. But, as others have warned about on this site, it is a non-refundable rate. At the same time, the deposit for ALL of us is only $350 vs the $1000 deposit HAL wanted to charge me. I'm thinking of finalizing the booking today. We paid $2500 for the 4 of us in an oceanview on the Rotterdam for the same week this year. Considering that's an older ship and we didn't have a balcony, I'm quite happy with the deal I'm seeing on the Nieuw Statendam.

I guess this is a long-winded way of saying: does this seem like a good deal to you? How do you prefer to book your HAL cruises? I always book fares where I can get price adjustments, but in this situation, I'm not sure this will drop further (especially since we'll be sailing at a peak time). I should also add: it seems HAL has far fewer cabins that accommodate four people compared to other cruise lines. We booked the Rotterdam 7 months in advance and all verandah cabins that could accommodate 4 were already sold out. So, I don't want to make that mistake again...

Thanks for your input!

We booked the Rotterdam 7 months in advance and all verandah cabins that could accommodate 4 were already sold out.

There is no "standard" verandah cabin that sleep 4 on the Rotterdam. There is what's called the Vista Suite that only sleeps a maximum of 3. On the newer HAL ships, especially the newest Nieuw Statendem, there will be relatively more quad cabins, including verandah. The NS (and sister ship Koningsdam) also has the 220 sq ft family OV (category FA and FB) which can sleep 5 people and 1.5 bath.

Pricing for early 2019 cruises on Nieuw Statendam has been surprising to me. In mid- January, 2018, I booked a b2b just after New Year's at a price that was less than what I had been finding during the Fall of 2017. My un-booked desired cabin category was not plentiful, but there was one cabin available for the b2b booking. Several weeks later, my Travel Agent informed me that the price had dropped significantly, but I would have to give up a couple of "perks" that had no/little interest to me. Keeping the "perks" would not have compensated whatsoever in agreeing to the new pricing.

Considering that I will be sailing on one of Nieuw Statendam's early cruises during the Winter, I think I have gotten a bargain.

Why the price drop? My travel agent nor I can understand it other than the first cruise of the b2b is the first one after New Year's. And, that has usually been a great time, price wise, to book a cruise. My one opportunity to upgrade for reasonable pricing, twice, from a veranda stateroom to a Neptune Suite took place at that same time of year on the Westerdam.

OP, It can be very confusing!

HAL offers different promotions, different deposits, refundable, non-refundable, pay in full, etc...

Very disappointing and very frustrating to try to state it lightly.

Anyhow, the big difference in the deposit leads me to believe that what you were offered by the TA was a different 'offer' and price structure than you are now currently seeing with HAL.

I don't know if it would be easy to compare apples to apples.

Did you just now book this, or could rates or promos have changed?

We have also called HAL and gotten very confusing quotes.

My DH called once and got a quote that was MORE than showing online.

We have not been happy, as HAL newbies, with HAL customer service, pricing and deposit practices, etc.

We do have a booking, thru a TA, that we requested that we wanted fully refundible.

Yes, the TA was able to offer a lesser rate for the cruise.

No, since we are way, way, far in advance, the TA did not have any other 'perks' available yet to throw in.

Would you be able to tell the experts here the sailing that you are booking?

I just pulled up a quote on HAL, Spring Break timeframe, 2 adults and 2 kids - $2736. with $350.00 deposit....

That is without a returning cruiser Mariner Number OR a bit of a TA discount.

Edited by Wishing on a star

I read that Holland America is not selling rooms for less with outside agencys, but some do offer better perks or such. If you have found a legitimate outside agency that is a better price, go with it.

Yes, I was surprised by this too. Especially since they're part of the Carnival consortium and I NEVER see this with Carnival.

But it was a legitimate outside agency. Similar to Encyclopedia...(not sure the rules around posting names and such).

There is no "standard" verandah cabin that sleep 4 on the Rotterdam. There is what's called the Vista Suite that only sleeps a maximum of 3. On the newer HAL ships, especially the newest Nieuw Statendem, there will be relatively more quad cabins, including verandah. The NS (and sister ship Koningsdam) also has the 220 sq ft family OV (category FA and FB) which can sleep 5 people and 1.5 bath.

Oh, good to know! Thanks!

Pricing for early 2019 cruises on Nieuw Statendam has been surprising to me. In mid- January, 2018, I booked a b2b just after New Year's at a price that was less than what I had been finding during the Fall of 2017. My un-booked desired cabin category was not plentiful, but there was one cabin available for the b2b booking. Several weeks later, my Travel Agent informed me that the price had dropped significantly, but I would have to give up a couple of "perks" that had no/little interest to me. Keeping the "perks" would not have compensated whatsoever in agreeing to the new pricing.

Considering that I will be sailing on one of Nieuw Statendam's early cruises during the Winter, I think I have gotten a bargain.

Why the price drop? My travel agent nor I can understand it other than the first cruise of the b2b is the first one after New Year's. And, that has usually been a great time, price wise, to book a cruise. My one opportunity to upgrade for reasonable pricing, twice, from a veranda stateroom to a Neptune Suite took place at that same time of year on the Westerdam.

Hmm, so interesting! Thanks for sharing your experience! I dream of doing a b2b one day! Most likely when my little ones are grown and we are enjoying the retired life! ;)

OP, It can be very confusing!

HAL offers different promotions, different deposits, refundable, non-refundable, pay in full, etc...

Very disappointing and very frustrating to try to state it lightly.

Anyhow, the big difference in the deposit leads me to believe that what you were offered by the TA was a different 'offer' and price structure than you are now currently seeing with HAL.

I don't know if it would be easy to compare apples to apples.

Did you just now book this, or could rates or promos have changed?

We have also called HAL and gotten very confusing quotes.

My DH called once and got a quote that was MORE than showing online.

We have not been happy, as HAL newbies, with HAL customer service, pricing and deposit practices, etc.

We do have a booking, thru a TA, that we requested that we wanted fully refundible.

Yes, the TA was able to offer a lesser rate for the cruise.

No, since we are way, way, far in advance, the TA did not have any other 'perks' available yet to throw in.

Yes! Thank you for affirming it can be quite confusing! When I booked the Rotterdam last year, I had the same issue...the agent at HAL was giving me a much higher rate than what I was booking over their own website. It was very time consuming to sort out...

As of today, the exact price on HAL website including taxes, port charges and no additional perks is $2,736 with a $1,000 non-refundable deposit for our sailing. I booked on a website (sounding like encyclopedia) the cabin right next door (the exact one I wanted, but I could've booked any of them) to the one I used for the HAL mock booking, and paid $2,376.00 with a $350 non-refundable deposit and no perks. When I mentioned to the HAL agent that this seemed like a substantial difference, and I'd prefer to book directly with the cruiseline she just responded, "well, that's the price. I have no other offers.":confused:

Would you be able to tell the experts here the sailing that you are booking?

I just pulled up a quote on HAL, Spring Break timeframe, 2 adults and 2 kids - $2736. with $350.00 deposit....

That is without a returning cruiser Mariner Number OR a bit of a TA discount.

Sure, the 3/31 sailing. I paid $2,376 with a $350 non-refundable deposit. And I'm quite happy with the value and the specific cabin I chose (there aren't many VH cabins that are "between" lifeboats per se, but I scored one). So, hopefully it wasn't a mistake! ;p

For me, I have nearly as much joy in planning and looking forward to the cruise as I do actually taking it. So I'm pretty excited to have booked it!

But it was a legitimate outside agency.

We have booked with a legitimate third party agency as well.

We have booked with them before and have not had any problems. Someone is always there to answer the phone and help us out if we have a question or see a lower price or want to change cabins or anything. We chose the snap fare, lower deposit and booked about 2 months before final payment. And the price they offered was far less than HAL's website. It came without any frills of OBC or any other "perks", but the price beat any of that, so we selected the lower price.

If I was booking way far in advance I would not book the non refundable, since I like some flexibility to move if a better cruise came up.

I read that Holland America is not selling rooms for less with outside agencys, but some do offer better perks or such. If you have found a legitimate outside agency that is a better price, go with it.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of months, that is not true

Yes, I am also the big OCD planner, looking forward to travel!!!

To be honest, so far, with what we have experienced with HAL customer service and booking, it really makes me NOT want to ever sail with HAL again.

We are keeping this one cruise on deposit, because of the new ship, and the itinerary..... when compared to others.

But, those are the only reasons....

To be honest, so far, with what we have experienced with HAL customer service and booking, it really makes me NOT want to ever sail with HAL again.
Then why give HAL your money? Based on this and other boards, you don't like their customer service or the look of their new ships... so why sail with them? I don't get it.