Kenai Fjords - dinner or no dinner?

MellyMel612

Trying to choose between the 6 hour and 8 1/2 hour with dinner at Fox Island National Park tours. These are tours through Kenai Fjords Tours, not interested in the assigned seats of Major Marine.

Has anyone had the dinner? Is it good? Right now we'd get $25 off per person for the dinner one, so only $14 more than the 6 hour cruise, but we also don't want to waste our limited time (we will be arriving Saturday early afternoon, Kenai Fjords Sunday, cruise leaves Monday at 9pm) or possibly miss a better meal somewhere in Seward.

Thanks for any opinions!

Your elimination of Major Marine is shooting your self in the foot. It actually works extremely well. It is only a place to put your things. Wait until you take a Kenai Fjords trip with a full boat and you arm't the first one to board. Then try and find a seat. You'll have to deal with the numerous people who take up double/triple room spreading out, then the jumpers, moving all over. All coffee and tea are pay, they are comped on Major Marine. The "wrap" on Kenai Fjords is gross. :) It's sitting out, getting soggier and soggier, since it's made ahead. Their cookies are a winner however. :) A very nice feature of Major Marine is also a Kenai fjords Park Ranger is on board. They are superb.

My point is- both companies do a fantastic job. And I certainly have gone many times with both. My choices are based on the deals I can snag and great enjoy both companies. I do stack up my trips, and always go out every day, including cruise day. Rare it's not at least 3 runs/visit. The tour is excellent.

As for Fox Island , I don't take these trips, unless big discounts, because I have found their tighter schedule to be a negative. Especially when you have some great wildlife activity. They have to be there at a fixed time. The meal is ok. Of course Ray's and Chinook in Seward are superior in my opinion.

Frankly with your time, I would go out twice. :) But, I'd be looking at Northern Fjords or Major Marines Aialik and Holgate route.

We chose the 6 hour cruise with no dinner because we are afraid some of us might get seasick and the idea of a salmon dinner and then a boat ride was not appealing. So we'll have dinner afterwards in Seward. But I have read great things about the Fox Island Tour, everyone seems to love it.

I kind of wish we had gone with Major Marine instead for the reasons Budget Queen lists. But again, they cook salmon on the boat and some of my family just couldn't get past it.

Your elimination of Major Marine is shooting your self in the foot. It actually works extremely well. It is only a place to put your things. Wait until you take a Kenai Fjords trip with a full boat and you arm't the first one to board. Then try and find a seat. You'll have to deal with the numerous people who take up double/triple room spreading out, then the jumpers, moving all over. All coffee and tea are pay, they are comped on Major Marine. The "wrap" on Kenai Fjords is gross. :) It's sitting out, getting soggier and soggier, since it's made ahead. Their cookies are a winner however. :) A very nice feature of Major Marine is also a Kenai fjords Park Ranger is on board. They are superb.

My point is- both companies do a fantastic job. And I certainly have gone many times with both. My choices are based on the deals I can snag and great enjoy both companies. I do stack up my trips, and always go out every day, including cruise day. Rare it's not at least 3 runs/visit. The tour is excellent.

As for Fox Island , I don't take these trips, unless big discounts, because I have found their tighter schedule to be a negative. Especially when you have some great wildlife activity. They have to be there at a fixed time. The meal is ok. Of course Ray's and Chinook in Seward are superior in my opinion.

Frankly with your time, I would go out twice. :) But, I'd be looking at Northern Fjords or Major Marines Aialik and Holgate route.

Thanks for your input.

What made us steer away from MM were several reviews mentioning crowded tables while others remained empty and unused. Have you seen the same? I just think that if the boat has fully boarded and there are empty tables that you're not allowed to sit at while others are crowded that would, to put it frankly, piss us off :o

I'm also trying to get a grasp of the seating with both companies - I've seen tables and rows mentioned. I came up empty when I searched for pictures of the insides of the vessels. Is it long shared tables on MM vs rows of seats on KF?

I wish going out twice was in the cards but this is a 20 day trip from Florida to Alaska with two teens so all costs are x4 adults. In a few years when it's just 2 and we can travel last minute as you are able to do I will be all over that!

Thanks again.

We chose the 6 hour cruise with no dinner because we are afraid some of us might get seasick and the idea of a salmon dinner and then a boat ride was not appealing. So we'll have dinner afterwards in Seward. But I have read great things about the Fox Island Tour, everyone seems to love it.

I kind of wish we had gone with Major Marine instead for the reasons Budget Queen lists. But again, they cook salmon on the boat and some of my family just couldn't get past it.

I have seen mostly great reviews for Fox Island too with a few that didn't like the food at all, obviously can't please everyone but... I have 2 teen boys and a husband that can definitely pack away the food so if it's good - a salmon/prime rib buffet would be worth the money, but if it's not great and we could be having something much better in town, that will be a bummer.

Hadn't read anything about the salmon being cooked on MM. I am not a fan of the smell - hmmmm, another thing to consider.

Yeah I am not sure what the set up is but the website says there is a salmon buffet and one family member read where someone said they could smell it and that was all she wrote for us going on Major Marine! Luckily we are staying at a B&B so we will have a big breakfast and then hopefully can just eat snacks or cookies until dinner.

I'm with Budget Queen on the KFT chicken wraps. Not very good but I'm sure they are economical for the company. We've taken to picking up snacks either in Anchorage or the Carrs/Safeway in Seward and then saving our dining for Rays after the boat trip. The cedar planked salmon is awesome!

I guess I just am not so focused on anything BUT the journey in Kenai Fjords, the endless scenery, wildlife, glaciers. The "seating" and meal are way down the pole in my opinion.

I find the so called, claims for one company over another about the seating- not valid. It's ONE perspective, and it's getting blown way out of proportion. IF there is salmon on a boat- yes it will be "smelled". BUT, it's a boat- odors aren't confined and it is not overwhelming.

As for seating- there are numerous boats by both companies, I have no clue what boat you are going to be on, but, I will state, I have probably been on all of them. Never do I find any undesirable seating. BUT, I am up and out of my seat enjoying my link with the Park Ranger, and OUT viewing. I am not parked in any seat. IF that is your priority, then perhaps go with Kenai fjord and be first in line.

I also will mention- that Major Marine, does a fantastic job with their buffet. Everything is very fresh, in the past they've used Copper River Salmon and excellent beef, roasted perfectly. The price has been the same for probably close to 10 years- which I don't get. :)

I made the comment above about coffee and tea being comp on MM and pay as you go with Kenai fjords. This could be significant on a trip for some people. (of course I am commenting on last season, not saying changes can't happen, and haven't been there this season yet, I do have 3 trips out, in June )

Both companies are excellent. I do sail with both and find the service and staff excellent. Boats are similar in using several different ones.

I'd choose who fits your preferences best and enjoy the trip. :)

Thanks again. We have never done it so didn't really know if we were meant to be sitting the whole time or that you even could be up and moving around. The wildlife and glaciers are without a doubt our number 1 priority and since I now know a little more what to expect I will go mainly with what time and itinerary is most appealing.

Wondering how rough the waters usually are, we will be there the end of the month. I am a fair weather sailor, so hate to book ahead and be miserable.

There is a rougher section of sailing. And- I always do see ill passengers- every trip.

If at all prone to motion sickness, take precautions.

Even if it is fair weather in Seward, doesn't mean the same conditions in the fjords. Weather never concerns me on these tours.

BQ, your insight and experience has been so helpful! Thank you again!

We are seriously considering the NW Fjords with MM. Have you been on the small boat? 36 passengers? That sounds awesome! Is there any reason that the larger boat would be a better option other than the possibility of seasickness, which none of us are really prone to?

Trying to choose between the 6 hour and 8 1/2 hour with dinner at Fox Island National Park tours. These are tours through Kenai Fjords Tours, not interested in the assigned seats of Major Marine.

Has anyone had the dinner? Is it good? Right now we'd get $25 off per person for the dinner one, so only $14 more than the 6 hour cruise, but we also don't want to waste our limited time (we will be arriving Saturday early afternoon, Kenai Fjords Sunday, cruise leaves Monday at 9pm) or possibly miss a better meal somewhere in Seward.

Thanks for any opinions!

We did a tour w an overnight on Fox Island. It was sort of cool on the island once all the day trippers left.

DON

BQ, your insight and experience has been so helpful! Thank you again!

We are seriously considering the NW Fjords with MM. Have you been on the small boat? 36 passengers? That sounds awesome! Is there any reason that the larger boat would be a better option other than the possibility of seasickness, which none of us are really prone to?

Yes, and going again beginning of June. As I mention, when I am in Seward I go out every day I'm there, 3 times this trip and NW is a must for me.

I don't care about the boats, so not the best person to ask. I find it perfectly suited for my priorities of viewing and the link with staff.