Experience with adjoining rooms?

Hi,

We are getting adjoining inside cabins on the Independence. One room will be for dh and I and the other for our toddler. We have never done this before (our last cruise was pre-child!), so wonder what people generally do in a case like this: leave the door open between rooms at night or closed? Keep door open and hang a cloth etc?

Just curious about others experiences...thnx!

Honestly if I were travelling with a 2.5 year old, I would skip the extra cabin and go for a balcony or junior suite. there is a curtain between the pull out sofa and the main sleeping area for some privacy. seems like a waste of money to book another whole cabin for a baby, but its your money and you have your reasons. just wondering if you have explored this option?

Be careful with your language used when booking--are you getting CONNECTING rooms or ADJOINING rooms? Connecting rooms have the door between them, adjoining rooms do not (they are just next to each other).

If you are having connecting rooms, I would leave the connecting door open a little bit so your little one can come in if needed and you can hear him better. I also agree that a balcony or JS suite may serve you just as well for a smaller cost. Something to maybe look into.

I also agree that a balcony or JS suite may serve you just as well for a smaller cost. Something to maybe look into.

Including the fact that you can get the lower third passenger rate for your toddler. You could upgrade to an Oceanview or Balcony stateroom for the three of you. Just make sure it offers a sofabed. :)

If you close the door, you're still closer to your toddler's bedroom than you are likely to be at home. Steps away. That's all.

Close it...leave it ajar..up to you. You don't have to go into a hallway to access the CONNECTING cabin.

All cabins are "adjoining"...you have "connecting" rooms!

You are totally correct: we have booked "connecting" rooms! We did think about the option of a junior suite, however opted for this because the cost difference was not substantially different and this option offers us considerably more privacy (and we don't have to whisper and live in the dark from 7:30 pm onward!!).

You are totally correct: we have booked "connecting" rooms! We did think about the option of a junior suite, however opted for this because the cost difference was not substantially different and this option offers us considerably more privacy (and we don't have to whisper and live in the dark from 7:30 pm onward!!).

that is so true....tiptoeing around and tripping over stuff is no way to be on vacation! and if you go on the balcony you may be trapped! I would think you would want to crack the door a bit, its pretty sound proof if you don't. plus you will have two bathrooms! although if you had a jr suite you would have a bath tub.....anyways, good luck and have a great trip!

And speaking of 'living in the dark', you may want to bring a nightlight for your toddler's room, and a battery operated candle for you and DH. ;)

We are travelling with our 2 teenagers in a connecting room (substantially cheaper for 2 ov room vs. 1 balcony, which I found odd). We will be sleeping with the door OPEN. I want to know when my oldest teenager has come home ... (the younger teenager is an early to bed person).

I think that it's a great idea to have a separate room for your little one. You'll all get a good nights sleep (this coming from the family of 4 that spends weeks every year in a 10 foot camper!).

good tips re nightlight and leaving door slightly ajar...I do want to hear him if he needs me in the night etc.

we are not paying double for our son, but certainly more than the cost of a single person. Ultimately I think it's the best option for us and will offer us more space and a lot more privacy. We are looking forward to it!

Archived