Southampton Webcam?

ba98157643

Hi All, so last night I watched QM2 leaving Hamburg on a webcam, and I also watch her on the NY harbour cam when she is there. If I've got a few minutes I enjoy watching her glide away, dreaming about my next trip (64 long days to go). Does anyone know of one that you can watch for Southampton? I can't seem to find one. Seems a shame that you can't do this in her home port! Thanks, Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A website called sea-scanner will give a webcam view of the Cunard ships, as well as others, their current location, where they are going, etc. Our son found it while we were on our TA this summer, and kept up with us our entire trip. From the website I can't figure out how to find the location of a ship, but if you google current location of ? (ship's name) it will come up. Enjoy!

Michael,

As far as I know, there are no shore side webcams within Southampton itself that show cruise ships in port or allow you to watch them as they arrive and depart from the port of Southampton.

Several years ago, there was a webcam on the Southampton VTS web site. That webcam only provided a small image of the port of Southampton that did not actually include any of the cruise ship docks as best I can recall. Also, the webcam image did not refresh very often, so you had to be fairly lucky to spot any of the ships as they happened to pass by the webcam. But that's as maybe now anyway since that webcam is no longer functioning.

There also used to be webcams at Hythe Pier, Calshot, Cowes, and Ryde where you could watch ships sailing along the Solent on their way to and from Southampton. But none of those webcams seem to be working now either.

The only currently functioning shore side webcam I am aware of that can provide glimpses of the Cunard vessels in the vicinity of Southampton is the River Hamble webcam found here.

http://80.175.158.232/view/

Even then, the shipping channel is in the distance on that webcam so views of the ships aren't close up images by any means. And just to let you know, for whatever reason, I can't seem to view this River Hamble webcam in my version of Internet Explorer but I am able to view it in Google Chrome.

Another alternative is to check the webcams on board the Red Funnel ferries found here.

http://www.redfunnel.co.uk/why-choose-us/live-webcam-pictures-from-red-falcon/ or http://www.ship-tracking.co.uk/Webcams/redfalcon1raw.html

If one of the Red Funnel ferries happens to sail past another ship, its webcams can provide views of that ship. Naturally, that is pretty much a hit or miss venture though. Here is an image from one of the webcams on board the Red Falcon ferry that I captured earlier this summer showing the QM2 departing Southampton.

bridgecam_south.jpg

Sorry I can't offer better news about webcams in Southampton. Perhaps other members of this forum can provide more and better information about webcams in the Southampton vicinity that I may have missed.

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

Thanks all for your responses. I use one of the sea scanner Apps to follow QM2 around wherever she is. That's a great picture from the ferry webcam, the clouds in the shot make for great effect. I will see if I can get lucky in two weeks when she's back in Southampton! Thanks for the tip. In between I will be watching the NYC harbour cam next Thursday! Thanks again Carolina, BlueMarble, and Lanky lad!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ba98157643

• 8 months later...

I am reviving this old thread because I found a couple webcams on the Isle of Wight that are new to me while I was following QM2's departure from Southampton today. One is at the New Holmwood Hotel in Cowes and the other is at All Saints Church in Ryde. Neither provides for really close-up views of passing ships, but both are real-time streaming webcams and both can be expanded to full screen mode.

Here are links to the pages containing the webcam streams along with screen captures I made earlier today from those webcams showing QM2 as she passed by them.

--------------------

http://www.newholmwoodhotel.co.uk/webcam/

New-Holmwood-Hotel-Cowes-Webcam.jpg

--------------------

http://www.camsecure.co.uk/ryde-webcam.html

All-Saints-Church-Ryde-Webcam.jpg

--------------------

I hope this is of some interest.

Regards,

John

• 9 months later...

It's time to update this thread since I see there have been some important changes to the webcams in the Southampton area since I last checked them out several months ago.

First of all, the webcams at Cowes and Ryde previously discussed here have a new home. They used to be hosted by "camsecure.co.uk" but are now hosted by "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk". The New Holmwood Hotel webcam at Cowes is now called the "Cowes Yachting" webcam on that new site and the All Saints Church webcam in Ryde is called the "Solent View" webcam. Plus there is a third "Appley Beach" webcam on that site also providing views of the Solent.

Here is a link to the home page for that site.

Isle of Wight Webcams

And here are links to the three individual webcam pages on that site which are of particular interest to this discussion.

Cowes Yachting

Solent View

Appley Beach

What I found especially interesting is that this "isleofwightwebcams" site appears to be taking a cue from other sites such as the PTZtv webcams for the ports of New York, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and elsewhere. While these Isle of Wight webcams normally follow an automatic pre-programmed pan and zoom cycle, when cruise ships are in range, a camera operator takes control to follow and zoom in on the ships as they pass the cameras.

Here are some screen captures I took from these webcams as Queen Victoria departed Southampton this afternoon/evening.

From the Cowes Yachting webcam

954462952_QVCowesYachtingWebcam.jpg.06db1be70dda07a04b3ce84b0e2d2f61.jpg

From the Solent View webcam

938663770_QVSolentViewsWebcam.jpg.46044edd3d068fbbb2b5ef460ae0e5e4.jpg

From the Appley Beach webcam

527473727_QVAppleyBeachWebcam.jpg.540d7fe2108a551e5c5a1b35d7bfd8f9.jpg

Regards, John

It's time to update this thread since I see there have been some important changes to the webcams in the Southampton area since I last checked them out several months ago.

First of all, the webcams at Cowes and Ryde previously discussed here have a new home. They used to be hosted by "camsecure.co.uk" but are now hosted by "isleofwightwebcams.co.uk". The New Holmwood Hotel webcam at Cowes is now called the "Cowes Yachting" webcam on that new site and the All Saints Church webcam in Ryde is called the "Solent View" webcam. Plus there is a third "Appley Beach" webcam on that site also providing views of the Solent.

Here is a link to the home page for that site.

Isle of Wight Webcams

And here are links to the three individual webcam pages on that site which are of particular interest to this discussion.

Cowes Yachting

Solent View

Appley Beach

What I found especially interesting is that this "isleofwightwebcams" site appears to be taking a cue from other sites such as the PTZtv webcams for the ports of New York, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and elsewhere. While these Isle of Wight webcams normally follow an automatic pre-programmed pan and zoom cycle, when cruise ships are in range, a camera operator takes control to follow and zoom in on the ships as they pass the cameras.

Here are some screen captures I took from these webcams as Queen Victoria departed Southampton this afternoon/evening.

From the Cowes Yachting webcam

[ATTACH]417472[/ATTACH]

From the Solent View webcam

[ATTACH]417473[/ATTACH]

From the Appley Beach webcam

[ATTACH]417474[/ATTACH]

Regards, John

Many, many thanks for this. Have just watched our lovely Oceana sail out to meet us in Malta. Brilliant webcams ! Have just linked this to the P&O site as I am sure that many folk over there would be interested too.

Thanks again :-)