Which ruins to visit? Lamanai or Xunantunich?

Hllb

Trying to decide on excursions and it's turning out way more difficult than anticipated LOL. I think I want to do a ruins tour in Belize. There are two, one to Lamanai and one to Xunantunich. The Lamanai one is more expensive but the travel distance is half (I believe it's one hour on a bus instead of 2). But, what I'd really like to know is which ruins are better. If Xunantunich is better, I'll deal with the 2 hour travel time.

We are also considering a cave tubing & zip line package, but I'm leaning towards the ruins as I think we'll do the Amazing Secret River tour in Cozumel/Mainland

I would like to know that answer as well. I understand Xauantunich is the best in Belize, but that is everyones one opinion. :)

I ended up picking the Lamanai one because everyone said the river boat ride was so good. I felt like it was a 2 for 1, even if the other ruins were slightly better. The lesser travel time was good too.

I went to Belize 20 years ago and did both. The trip to Lamanai was great, and I really enjoyed the boat portion. Xuanatunich ruins were probably “better” but both truly were fabulous. You can’t go wrong!

(Disclaimer, again, I went a long time ago, Before Belize was much of a tourist destination.)

We did Xunantunich 2 years ago, and loved it. It is a 2 hour bus ride but the tour guides are great and talk the whole way there. We hope to do Lamanai next trip there, so I can't compare. Either way I don't think you can lose. If you are booking thru Carnival, you can price match for an onboard credit. Also, the tour guides in Belize have been our favorites of any port (we've been there 3 times so far). Definitely one of our favorite ports and people. Everyone is so friendly and real.

ABQrobin, thanks for your response. Now you said the tour guides in Belize were really good. How do we go about getting one, or is there one that you would recommend?

we booked the excursions through Carnival. I would only book one of the long tours, out to Lamanai and Xunantunich with the cruise ship. It is really far and for some reason if you are delayed getting back, the cruise line knows you were on that excursion and will not leave without you.

Thanks for your reply, but normally I don't do Carnival, as they seem to be higher than other places. I do understand getting back in time, but I always check that out first, before I go anywhere.

Well I think in Belize the best tour company (Chukka) is used by Carnival for their inland tours. The guides are very knowledgeable on history and culture, very entertaining, and the bus drivers are very safe. Last trip, we went cave tubing, the driver and guide even stopped along side of the road so the guide could get off and pick fruit off a tree to show to everyone and explain what it was. That is just one little thing, I realize, but it was that type of thing that made these guides so great. The same company led our tour to Xunantunich 2 years ago and we felt the same way - the guides and bus driver were the best we have had in dozens of tours we have done all over the world. We travel a lot so I know what I am talking about.

FYI - the same company, Chukka, did the zipline tour we took in Jamaica several years ago. Once again, that company has amazing guides. I think that company does an amazing job training their people, unlike some tours we have done elsewhere.

Just my experience...

robin

We just returned from a RCI excursion to Lamanai. The bus ride was 75 minutes and the "speed boat" portion was another 45 minutes or so which meant we only had 2 hours to tour the ruins. While we did see all 3 temples it felt a little rushed to me.