On board communications - Independence of the Seas

We are cruising on RCL's Independence of the Seas in March 2018. Last year we cruised on Carnival and they had a package for $5/cruise that allowed us to text each other on board with iPhones. Does Royal Caribbean have a similar plan. It was great to be able to find each other and arrange meetings, etc.

We are cruising on RCL's Independence of the Seas in March 2018. Last year we cruised on Carnival and they had a package for $5/cruise that allowed us to text each other on board with iPhones. Does Royal Caribbean have a similar plan. It was great to be able to find each other and arrange meetings, etc.

No such plan on Indy. If you need texting on Indy, either pay $0.50 per text (AT&T and Verizon), our purchase the ship's internet plan.

We just talk to each other when we're together, and let everyone know where we'll be until the next time we get together! If everyone has an idea where to look, you'll find each other!

Old School !! I like it.

We are cruising on RCL's Independence of the Seas in March 2018. Last year we cruised on Carnival and they had a package for $5/cruise that allowed us to text each other on board with iPhones.

Yes, that is handled via Carnival's HUB app. Royal has no equivalent...yet, anyway.

We signed up for their mid-tier WiFi and were able to keep in touch easily using FB instant messenger, with a "group conversation" set up for our extended party (7 people, 3 staterooms). Worked like a charm for things like coordinating arrival for YTD, etc.

We could also make voice calls to home using FB IM also.

I'll be on Independence in February and I'm waffling about purchasing the WiFi onboard. I've heard everything from "it's terrible" to "it worked great."

Royal has no equivalent...yet, anyway.

I'll be on Independence in February and I'm waffling about purchasing the WiFi onboard. I've heard everything from "it's terrible" to "it worked great."

The Royal IQ app has a texting feature - it just doesn't work on Indy. Indy has the newer O3B internet. Performance depends on many things but it is generally good.

Biker, reporting from Indy.

The Royal IQ app has a texting feature - it just doesn't work on Indy. Indy has the newer O3B internet. Performance depends on many things but it is generally good.

Biker, reporting from Indy.

Thanks, I'm leaning toward buying an internet package now, although we won't be able to pre-purchase until about 3 weeks before sailing as it's a big music charter. The ship will be at max berth capacity -- there's already a waiting list -- so I'm hoping all the extra pax don't bog the internet down too much.

Has anybody used walkey talke's, I was thinking of bringing some for our group

Some people say they work fine, but we've had bad luck with walkie-talkies. Once we get separated by a few decks, communication was difficult to impossible.