Would you like to share Private Guides?

worldtravel412

We are a couple who loves seeing as much as possible and learning from locals. We are early risers and want to see the sites (and shop). Would you be interested in sharing a private guide in some locations?

Find the roll call for your sailing and ask there.

Sorry for the short answer above.

There are two ways to find the roll call for your sailing. One way is to use the "Find Your Roll Call" tool; it is above in the page header.

The other way is to go directly to the Viking roll call forum, choose your ship and then look for the roll call for your sail date. Personally, I prefer this method because the tool still has some glitches. You can use the forum search tool to find your roll or you can do what I do --eyeball each page until I find what I am looking for, giving up when all of the sail dates seem to be for cruises that have already sailed.

Once you find your roll call, you can see if anyone else is looking to share a private guide or to otherwise fill a tour.

In any case, Cruise Critic asks us to limit requests for "tour shares" to the roll calls. Cruise Critic does have guidelines for all of this, so check them out using the link in the header.

Finally, if you do find some interest, give an e-mail address where you can be contacted (I use a yahoo disposable address that I can easily delete and never my personal e-mail account) and do not give surnames or town names (good way to announce to the world that you will not be home).

To add to this...go to the ports of call forums here on Cruise Critic.....you can often find recommendations under the ports you are interested in.....as well, go to TripAdvisor forums by location. Both are treasure troves of information including private tours.

We definitely positively always share private guides. We've been on over 50 cruises, unfortunately only one 3 week cruise on Viking Ocean, and have had many great experiences sharing guides. On our most recent cruise on Viking Ocean, in St Petersburg Russia we booked a private tour for 6 of us on our roll call for the 2 days that we were there. We were so happy with it! Some others on our roll call booked larger groups (16 maybe, for a lesser price, but not that much less). We were so happy with our smaller tour plus it was less than half the price of what Viking wanted. If you are on your roll call you should be able to find like minded travelers. Be careful, though...be sure that you know what they and you want. I HATE shopping and make sure that our tours don't include it. Others love it. So if you do a private guide make sure you are all on the same page. We have had great experiences.

We definitely positively always share private guides. We've been on over 50 cruises, unfortunately only one 3 week cruise on Viking Ocean, and have had many great experiences sharing guides. On our most recent cruise on Viking Ocean, in St Petersburg Russia we booked a private tour for 6 of us on our roll call for the 2 days that we were there. We were so happy with it! Some others on our roll call booked larger groups (16 maybe, for a lesser price, but not that much less). We were so happy with our smaller tour plus it was less than half the price of what Viking wanted. If you are on your roll call you should be able to find like minded travelers. Be careful, though...be sure that you know what they and you want. I HATE shopping and make sure that our tours don't include it. Others love it. So if you do a private guide make sure you are all on the same page. We have had great experiences.

Ditto to HATE :evilsmile:shopping which is one of the many reasons why we do not book tours but rather a car and guide for just the two of us.