San Juan Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria

dehmny

Just double checking, is OP asking about San Juan as a port of call or a embarkation/disembarkation stop?

Per Royal’s web site, the first cruise ship sailing into San Juan as a port of call with various excursions will be the Freedom of the Seas on November 30.

Have other Royal ships been to San Juan as a port of call?

Royal Caribbean leadership recently returned from visits to St. Thomas, San Juan, and St. Maarten. We continue to be impressed with the progress the islands are making to rebuild, and are excited to announce our return to St. Thomas with Adventure of the Seas on November 10, as well as our return to San Juan with Freedom of the Seas on November 30. While it was our desire to also return to St. Maarten in November, the island needs a little more time to recover, and we will be returning to this beautiful destination on December 17 with Grandeur of the Seas.

Just double checking, is OP asking about San Juan as a port of call or a embarkation/disembarkation stop?

Per Royal’s web site, the first cruise ship sailing into San Juan as a port of call with various excursions will be the Freedom of the Seas on November 30.

Royal Caribbean leadership recently returned from visits to St. Thomas, San Juan, and St. Maarten. We continue to be impressed with the progress the islands are making to rebuild, and are excited to announce our return to St. Thomas with Adventure of the Seas on November 10, as well as our return to San Juan with Freedom of the Seas on November 30. While it was our desire to also return to St. Maarten in November, the island needs a little more time to recover, and we will be returning to this beautiful destination on December 17 with Grandeur of the Seas.

No, I don't believe the OSJ piers are ready for an RC ship to make a day stop.

I was asking about San Juan as a port of call. I go on Allure in a couple weeks. Friends that we are traveling with plan to stay on the ship because they figure the island isn't ready for tourism; we will do the city tour. Just wondering what people have experienced.

I'm on Freedom this week. I believe we are the first ship back to SJU as a port of call (not embarkation port). Shore excursions are more limited than normal (rainforest not open etc etc), will be glad to share more details after we get there.

I was asking about San Juan as a port of call. I go on Allure in a couple weeks. Friends that we are traveling with plan to stay on the ship because they figure the island isn't ready for tourism; we will do the city tour. Just wondering what people have experienced.

I'll let you know this week. Will be there Wednesday (I think that's the day). I've heard San Juan port is fine, Old town, forts open, restaurants open, etc. We shall see soon!

I have been in San Juan since before Maria as part of the response effort. The island has a long way to go to recovery but tourism is restarting and Christmas decorations are going up. Hotels along the Condato and OSJ have restored a lot of their facilities, grocery and gas stations are open. Over 50% of the island remains without power.

RCCL, Celebrity and Norwegian Cruise ships are docking at the piers next to the Isle Grande airport once or twice a week. Up until about 5 days ago the OSJ pier was being used by the USNS Comfort but was clear as of yesterday.

Power remains sporadic in OSJ but shops are open and the local residents are out there to greet and assist tourists. The money you bring to the island's economy will be critical to their recovery.

Note that most stoplights are non-functional and many, many places rely upon generators. But the beaches are open. As of the last I heard the rainforest is closed (but don't quote me on that).

-Kurt

I have been in San Juan since before Maria as part of the response effort. The island has a long way to go to recovery but tourism is restarting and Christmas decorations are going up. Hotels along the Condato and OSJ have restored a lot of their facilities, grocery and gas stations are open. Over 50% of the island remains without power.

RCCL, Celebrity and Norwegian Cruise ships are docking at the piers next to the Isle Grande airport once or twice a week. Up until about 5 days ago the OSJ pier was being used by the USNS Comfort but was clear as of yesterday.

Power remains sporadic in OSJ but shops are open and the local residents are out there to greet and assist tourists. The money you bring to the island's economy will be critical to their recovery.

Note that most stoplights are non-functional and many, many places rely upon generators. But the beaches are open. As of the last I heard the rainforest is closed (but don't quote me on that).

-Kurt

Thanks for the update, good to know that our tourist dollars are important to the recovery.

We will be in San Juan as a port of call the week of Dec 16th, and plan to head to a beach. Will post an update once we are home. One of our favorite places so I am sure there will be happy with sad, same with St Thomas. It will be hard to see the destruction, but glad we can be there and help support the tourism economy.

Does anyone know which dock/pier will be used for HOS in February? We were planning to walk to the forts from the cruise terminal, but news that ships may be porting by the airport has me reconsidering those plans.

Are taxis/Ubers available by the pier if we aren’t in walking distance from OSJ?

Does anyone know which dock/pier will be used for HOS in February? We were planning to walk to the forts from the cruise terminal, but news that ships may be porting by the airport has me reconsidering those plans.

Are taxis/Ubers available by the pier if we aren’t in walking distance from OSJ?

Too early to know what pier will be used in February. If you do have to use the Pan American pier, taxis will be available.