Princess in Toronto today!!!

Island wannabe

Imagine my delight when walking to my office in downtown Toronto early this morning when I saw two coaches parked outside the Royal York Hotel with signs proudly displaying that they were "Princess Tours". Now the nearest cruise port is about an 8 hour drive away in Quebec City so this is far from a frequent occurrence. I am assuming they were part of a land/cruise vacation but it made me smile and yearn even more for my next Princess cruise - hopefully next April on the Royal.

Imagine my delight when walking to my office in downtown Toronto early this morning when I saw two coaches parked outside the Royal York Hotel with signs proudly displaying that they were "Princess Tours". Now the nearest cruise port is about an 8 hour drive away in Quebec City so this is far from a frequent occurrence. I am assuming they were part of a land/cruise vacation but it made me smile and yearn even more for my next Princess cruise - hopefully next April on the Royal.

I thought you were going to post that there was a big promotion going on in Toronto I was half way out the door, ready to go snap it up. :)

It was probably part of the Maple Explorer Cruisetour, which begins or ends in Toronto and includes Ottawa, Montebello, Montreal and Quebec City. Did this in 2012 along with the Emerald Princess cruise from Quebec to Ft Lauderdale. It was a great tour and cruise, even with the Superstorm Sandy cruise stop modifications.

It was probably part of the Maple Explorer Cruisetour, which begins or ends in Toronto and includes Ottawa, Montebello, Montreal and Quebec City. Did this in 2012 along with the Emerald Princess cruise from Quebec to Ft Lauderdale. It was a great tour and cruise, even with the Superstorm Sandy cruise stop modifications.

Well they have timed it well as the leaves changed a bit later this year due to very warm weather this year, and are just gorgeous now.

Yup, maybe Toronto is part of the Princess Cruisetour.

I was trying to figure out how a ship got into Lake Ontario. :):p

You all do know that the great lakes, including Lake Ontario (where Toronto is) is a major shipping channel right?

There are MANY large ships in the lakes, lol.

http://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/commercial/index.html

I know height wise, cruise ship have difficulties getting past Montreal, but still...

;)

Deb

You all do know that the great lakes, including Lake Ontario (where Toronto is) is a major shipping channel right?

There are MANY large ships in the lakes, lol.

http://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/commercial/index.html

I know height wise, cruise ship have difficulties getting past Montreal, but still...

;)

Deb

With the exception of the bulk carriers on the Lakes, which were typically built there and are trapped, or were built in sections and brought in to be assembled and are trapped, there really aren't any "large" ships on the Great Lakes. Given the size of the Seaway locks, only moderate to small ships can transit into/out of the Lakes (750' long, 78' wide, and 27' draft). Even the proposed lock expansion planned for 2030 will not allow the largest ships on the oceans into the lakes.

Not only would cruise ships be limited by height in the Lakes, as beyond the power lines and such leading to Montreal, there are three bridges (and 4th on the way) that limit height.