Allure cruise on Oct 1 - Where to go? Havana?

This should be a safe place to vent with others without judgement if your issues are reasonable. While I understand many do not care where the ships go, they just enjoy cruising and the ships - some are ok where ever the ports of call take them - BUT I also understand for others if you purchased a product that is drastically changed and if that product is unacceptable u would like the option of canceling without penalty. a refund is the customer service way to go since many do not want to tie up their money in a cruise credit and may even book with another line .. but looking at it another way, at least a full future cruise credit gives you an option to rebook a future cruise when ports are reworked and an eastern itinerary is set. For those who do not empathize with you , think that you paid for and ordered a steak/prime rib etc, but when it came it was a hamburger. Yes it is food and beef but not at all what you ordered. We are all different with different likes and preferences.. that is why there are so many different ships and POC so we can all be accommodated. I think the point is, even after a disaster like this, we ( or our money) should not be held hostage when it is more than a minor change in plans. We have been cruising since 1990 and have seen such a change in the industry. With so many cabins to fill it is more procedures for the masses than customized customer service.

I understand your point, but the money has to come from somewhere. Cruises are cheaper since they do have to right to change things and you can't get a refund after final payment for that reason. If they let anybody get a full refund Everytime they were not happy (even though they are getting what they signed that they wanted), then all prices have to go up to accommodate the empty runs or the lower cost due to last minute bookings.

Even if people don't want to hear it, this is what travel insurance is for.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

The Oasis class needs a specific size dock area and don't tender so that limits the ports and I don't think Havana qualifies as most of the ships we have looked at to go there are on the smaller size.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We also are highly irritated about the full western change with no OBC to compensate for a cheaper Western itinerary.

Now, hear me out: We chose this itinerary for St. Thomas and St. Kitts. The St. Kitts change was NOT due to weather function, but to what I understand is a ship issue (can't get there fast enough). If this was going to be an issue we would have booked a different cruise on an Oasis class ship.

Now, the hurricane issues are unexpected, and I know that happens. Has anyone else had luck getting OBC for these issues?

We also are highly irritated about the full western change with no OBC to compensate for a cheaper Western itinerary. ...

It's not been our experience that there's any appreciable difference in price between eastern/western itineraries on Oasis class ships.

We also are highly irritated about the full western change with no OBC to compensate for a cheaper Western itinerary.

Now, hear me out: We chose this itinerary for St. Thomas and St. Kitts. The St. Kitts change was NOT due to weather function, but to what I understand is a ship issue (can't get there fast enough). If this was going to be an issue we would have booked a different cruise on an Oasis class ship.

Now, the hurricane issues are unexpected, and I know that happens. Has anyone else had luck getting OBC for these issues?

I called to inquire if they were able to offer anything due to the propulsion issue on Allure and that we chose the Eastern to visit ports we had not been to before. It was about $100-$150 more expensive than the Western at the time of booking.

I really called as I did not want to find out on board that others had received OBC by calling. I had a quick chat with the person and they said they are not offering any OBC and they want to be consistent with all travelers on our cruise. From your post, it sounds like they are being consistent.

I thanked her for her time as I know how busy they must be dealing with more important issues.

My advice - assume no one is getting anything “extra” due to the circumstances. While we are disappointed in our final itinerary it is really due to the storms which comes with cruising this time of year. But this is why we like the Oasis class ships - they are the main destination for us and have so much to offer that we will have a great vacation even if we never leave the ship.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Of course, after being there on a great ship, the choice to return to Nassau still befuddled and ticks me off. Why was another port not chose? We went in a ridiculous circle to get to Ft Lauderdale after Nassau.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

If you watched the video on the television in your room of the cruise director talking to the captain about the change, you know why they didn't choose a different port. They explained that the ship could have made Falmouth, but, because of how long it would take to get back, the call would have been for only a few hours. Other ships were already at Labadee, and its infrastructure can handle only so many people, so that wasn't an option, either.

You have to consider that other ships, including ships from other cruise lines, had already been rerouted because of hurricane damage.There are only so many ships and passengers that a port can handle. Oasis Class ships can't tender in passengers, so it had to be a port where an actual berth was available. Logistically, no other port would work.

Just be glad there happened to be an open berth at Nassau; otherwise, it would have been another day at sea. When you consider that Allure of the Seas, along with Carnival Liberty, MSC Divina, and Silversea Explorer, dumped over 13,000 people in Nassau that day, all involved did a great job.

And so what if the ship sailed in a "ridiculous circle"? The last day was always scheduled to be a day at sea, and that's what you got. What difference does it make if she sailed in a circle, a straight line, or a figure eight? At sea is at sea.

If you watched the video on the television in your room of the cruise director talking to the captain about the change, you know why they didn't choose a different port. They explained that the ship could have made Falmouth, but, because of how long it would take to get back, the call would have been for only a few hours. Other ships were already at Labadee, and its infrastructure can handle only so many people, so that wasn't an option, either.

I missed that part. I didn't see the explanation of Falmouth. Though, given other itineraries and the ability of 30 plus hours, the logistics don't quite jive.

More so, it's a call from corporate, not the captain on where they go.

You have to consider that other ships, including ships from other cruise lines, had already been rerouted because of hurricane damage.There are only so many ships and passengers that a port can handle. Oasis Class ships can't tender in passengers, so it had to be a port where an actual berth was available. Logistically, no other port would work.

I certainly thought about the extra traffic out there, but the lack of tendering was something I wasn't aware of. Interesting.

Just be glad there happened to be an open berth at Nassau; otherwise, it would have been another day at sea. When you consider that Allure of the Seas, along with Carnival Liberty, MSC Divina, and Silversea Explorer, dumped over 13,000 people in Nassau that day, all involved did a great job.

Meh, myself and the kids didn't get off the ship. One thing that my wife (who is a TA) mentioned was that as we know RCCL wasn't giving any compensation for changed itineraries, etc, Carnival was.

Personally, I liked the ship, and I enjoyed it. Hopefully our Mediterranean cruise in May goes smoother (Vision of the Seas)

Oh, and kudos for 51 cruises! I think we are up to 14 or so now. How do you not get burned out overall?

Correct, the captain is in constant communication with the office in Miami; but it's a joint decision as to what to do.

I did get off the ship in Nassau both times. The first time a group of us went to Atlantis for a tour and breakfast. The second time I just walked around the piers, taking photos of the Allure and the other ships. Being a ship fanatic, that's my favorite thing to do (in any port).