Dubrovnik/ kotor recommendations

We are looking at cruising croatia next summer and we're just comparing a few itineraries.

Some options only have 6hrs in Dubrovnik compared to 8hrs. Obviously the longer the better but would 6hrs be enough for a taster?

Another option has 10hrs in kotor. Is this too long?

Finally the itineraries vary with some being in Dubrovnik/kotor early morning to early afternoon whereas other options are docked early afternoon to evening. Which option would be best?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

In Dubrovnik I would visit the walled city and also walk around the downtown area.

While more is always better you could do it in six hours if necessary.

I like arriving to Dubrovnik in early morning before it gets too crowded.

Keith

......... and while it's still relatively cool to walk the walls.

And I agree, 6 hours is sufficient - including anything up to an hour of faffing around with transport from & back to the ship (actual journey time 10 mins)

JB :)

After walking the walls around the city in Dubrovnik, check out the Buza bar - it’s on a terraced area on the cliff just outside the city wall. You literally walk through a hole in the wall to get to it. It’s very casual, with lovely outdoor seating overlooking the sea. It’s just a great chill place to hang out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

After walking the walls around the city in Dubrovnik, check out the Buza bar - it’s on a terraced area on the cliff just outside the city wall. You literally walk through a hole in the wall to get to it. It’s very casual, with lovely outdoor seating overlooking the sea. It’s just a great chill place to hang out.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Like the sound of this

We are looking at cruising croatia next summer and we're just comparing a few itineraries.

Some options only have 6hrs in Dubrovnik compared to 8hrs. Obviously the longer the better but would 6hrs be enough for a taster?

Another option has 10hrs in kotor. Is this too long?

Finally the itineraries vary with some being in Dubrovnik/kotor early morning to early afternoon whereas other options are docked early afternoon to evening. Which option would be best?

Thanks

As others have suggested, walk the wall.

After, catch the shuttle boat along the coast to Cavtat from the fort's quay, for Lunch and Drinks.

A very pretty spot to walk, with various waterside restaurants and small shops.

Then take the bus back to the ship from the main bus terminal behind the Supermarket and adjacent to public toilets. This way you'll miss the mayhem (bordering on on lunacy) of the bus queue in Dubrovnik (perhaps queue is the wrong word) as you are already seated on the bus.

Edited by PORT ROYAL

10 hours in Kotor itself might be a little lengthy. We were there in October and chose to simply walk around the town. The old walled city is the most interesting and there is an awesome climb up to the fortress that one can do for 3 euros. It's 1500 stone steps to the top and it's a pretty gruelling climb--depending on age and fitness level. We are 64 and 66 and made it to the top. It took about 3 hours to go up and come back down, I would say. Otherwise, the walled town is small and doesn't take long to navigate. Very pretty, however. And the entry into the port of Kotor is absolutely stunning! We came in around noon with bright sun, but sailed away at sunset, which was very beautiful. It was our favourite port on our cruise. We didn't stop at Dubrovnik, so I can't compare.

Would we have time for the cable car??

Yes, but do the cable first.

Take a taxi from the port taxi rank (last visit fare was about €10/12 for 4 pax)

Then a taxi from cable to fort - taxis available.

If interested, on the return bus journey, there is a large Supermarket to the far end of the Cruise port bus terminal. Facing the bus terminal, and ship, go left to the very end of run of buildings, (you'll see a car park), turn right and there you'll find the entrance. About 3/4 minutes walk to the Supermarket and 5/6 minutes back to the Cruise port entrance.

Edited by PORT ROYAL