Palma De Mallorca Things to do

WallyNDiane

What are your thoughts on the top attractions in Palma De Mallorca? We love photography, archecture, landscapes and old churches/buildings.

Is time better spent in Palma De Mallorca or is a trip to Valldemossa more in line with our interest?

Is this a port that you can do your own tour or is it better to take a ship excursion. I just started researching this port and I know little. Thanks.

Edited by WallyNDiane

Our tour was a standard bus to Palma bus station, then a tram to Soller followed by a second tram down to Port of Soller, coffee and cake in a cafe on the front, and back home again. It's a pleasant but rickety ride across the island, so you get the landscapes (and the seascapes, at Port of Soller.) Depending how long the whole thing takes, there's probably some interesting architecture and old churches in the old town of Soller (not the port) - but our trip was cut short to half a day because weather or medical emergency or something delayed our arrival till after lunchtime, so we only went there and back and hadn't time to stop and look around.

Ship excursion not needed for that trip. I can't help with Valldemossa.

DH and I spent a day in port at Palma de Mallorca in lateSeptember during our Holland America Mediterranean cruise. Palma was one of our favorite ports. In addition to Bellver Castle, there is abeautiful Gothic cathedral begun in 1229, finished in 1601. Gaudi was hired to work on a renovation inthe early 1900’s but left over a disagreement a few years later. Gaudi-designed electric light fixtures and alarge canopy remain. Next to the Cathedralis the royal palace, Palacio de la Almudaina. This was originally a Moorish fort, taken over by the Spanish governmentin the 1400s and renovated as a palace. If the King is not in holiday residence or the building not being usedfor state functions, it is open to tourists. We thought it beautiful. We also were able to tour the city’s bullfightring designed to emulate the Coliseum in Rome. In addition to these sites, we enjoyedwalking around in the old city area and by the waterfront.

We saw the Castle, bullfight ring, and Cathedral as part of a morning Palma de MallorcaHighlights ship excursion. At tour’send, our tour guide offered the option of returning us to the ship or stayingin the old city area where the Cathedral is located. (Not sure if she was supposed to, but she wasvery flexible throughout the tour) Westayed in town, ate lunch, toured the Almudaina and walked around on our ownduring the afternoon, taking a cab back to the ship at day’s end.

What are your thoughts on the top attractions in Palma De Mallorca? We love photography, archecture, landscapes and old churches/buildings.

Is time better spent in Palma De Mallorca or is a trip to Valldemossa more in line with our interest?

Is this a port that you can do your own tour or is it better to take a ship excursion. I just started researching this port and I know little. Thanks.

Having lived in Majorca for the last 10 years , what ever you decide to you will get wonderful photographic opportunities .,just run through my threads on Majorca DIY and you will find exactly what you are looking for.

I would defiantly do my own .thing and hiring a car will give you the most out of your day.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2369657

Our tour was a standard bus to Palma bus station, then a tram to Soller followed by a second tram down to Port of Soller, coffee and cake in a cafe on the front, and back home again. It's a pleasant but rickety ride across the island, so you get the landscapes (and the seascapes, at Port of Soller.) Depending how long the whole thing takes, there's probably some interesting architecture and old churches in the old town of Soller (not the port) - but our trip was cut short to half a day because weather or medical emergency or something delayed our arrival till after lunchtime, so we only went there and back and hadn't time to stop and look around.

Ship excursion not needed for that trip. I can't help with Valldemossa.

Going to Soller was a great and inexpensive trip. Here is a link to some pictures.

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/322

last week we used mallorcaprivatetourguides.com and got together a group of 12 from our roll call for a minivan with driver and separate guide

we had a 4 hour tour costing 35 euros per person

picked up at ship and returned there

in between a trip to Valdermossa up in the mountains and some spectacular scenery.our guide took us round some of the quiet side streets and we were leaving just as the big coach tours from ship were pulling in

we then returned to Palma for a guided tour around main sites including outside of cathedral

we had 30 mins free time so could visit inside if wished visit pearl factory or just people watch

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments on mallorcaprivatetourguides.com. Less costly than the ship excursion.

Another question or 2. I love photography and am wondering how the sun impacts views from Bellver Caster in mid October? I have been to some beautiful locations but at the wrong time, Difficult to see things when you are looking directly into the sun. I don't know if it is worth going to Bellver especially if the sun is wrong. Would do bus HoHo tour if we go to Bellver.

Second question. How difficult is it getting back to the ship from the old town? The tour above looks interesting, but I would love to spend more time in the old town wondering the streets.