Vietnam & Cambodia - how much spending per day?

Stevie44875

At the end of July my hubby and I are headed on the Viking Mekong cruise. Half is land and the other half is on the Mekong. Wondering how much cash we should plan to take along as we were told USD is accepted if they are in very good condition.

Has anyone out there done a land and river tour that could estimate daily spending? I'm guessing its not much as we don't really shop and bring back stuff from our travels and food is the other cost I can think of. No idea what meals cost there.

Thanks for any help you can give!:confused::confused:

Cambodia has its own currency but even locals use mostly US$. Vietnam uses mostly VNDong, although some touristy places will take US$. Spending other than souvenirs is minimal; local guide tips, toilets and an occasional drink or snack would be perhaps US$10 per couple per day. Obviously higher if you have meals on your own. Sky is the limit for souvenirs. More expensive places are likely to take credit cards.

At the end of July my hubby and I are headed on the Viking Mekong cruise. Half is land and the other half is on the Mekong. Wondering how much cash we should plan to take along as we were told USD is accepted if they are in very good condition. Has anyone out there done a land and river tour that could estimate daily spending? I'm guessing its not much as we don't really shop and bring back stuff from our travels and food is the other cost I can think of. No idea what meals cost there.

Greetings to our "neighbor" in Ohio!! What part of the Buckeye State do you live? As noted and connected below, we just got back from doing about a month in Southeast Asia, including much travel in Vietnam and Cambodia. You are correct that you will not need that much "cash" if you are not big "shoppers". Cambodia is more about being so easy to use U.S. dollars there. In Vietnam, you will need a certain amount of their "dong" currency.

For food costs, it can vary much. For many of the "better" dining locations, they will take credit cards. There are also many "street food" and small-shop types of dining places and opportunities. In Siem Reap right on famed Pub Street, we had a wonderful soup and beer that feed both of us at lunch. Total cost: $4. And it was totally wonderful for tasting so great. Lots of options!!

On my live/blog, I am happy to answer any added questions. Post added questions there!! Happy to share more. Below are a few visual samples from what we saw and did.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

Greetings to our "neighbor" in Ohio!! What part of the Buckeye State do you live? As noted and connected below, we just got back from doing about a month in Southeast Asia, including much travel in Vietnam and Cambodia. You are correct that you will not need that much "cash" if you are not big "shoppers". Cambodia is more about being so easy to use U.S. dollars there. In Vietnam, you will need a certain amount of their "dong" currency.

For food costs, it can vary much. For many of the "better" dining locations, they will take credit cards. There are also many "street food" and small-shop types of dining places and opportunities. In Siem Reap right on famed Pub Street, we had a wonderful soup and beer that feed both of us at lunch. Total cost: $4. And it was totally wonderful for tasting so great. Lots of options!!

On my live/blog, I am happy to answer any added questions. Post added questions there!! Happy to share more. Below are a few visual samples from what we saw and did.

Thank you Terry for the information. I'll have to read through your review! Do you have any tips or must pack items since you have done your travels now? We are going at the start of rainy season so deciding if an umbrella or just a poncho would be good...things like that.

I'm in Mansfield.

Thank you Terry for the information. I'll have to read through your review! Do you have any tips or must pack items since you have done your travels now? We are going at the start of rainy season so deciding if an umbrella or just a poncho would be good...things like that. I'm in Mansfield.

Great to hear back from our Ohio neighbor to the north in Richland County. Based on the 44875 zip code in your CC name, are you actually in Shelby? Know that county and Shelby fairly well. Nice town and area!!

For packing, the number one tip is to be more flexible and do not take as much "stuff". Bet you've heard that one before, right? Packing lighter is always hard, but very important to do for this part of the world. Yes, you are heading to SE Asia in the rainy season. Plus, it will be generally very warm during that time period when you will be there. You must also be prepared with the right clothing for going in certain temples where you will need to have shoulders, legs covered. On shoes, go practical, solid, safe, etc., for your footwear. Don't worry about "fashion" or looks. Lots of uneven pavement and surface where you will be walking. And, more walking, climbing, etc.

Also, very good posting from TravelerThom that came on this thread at the same time as my response. Keep researching and planning. Look forward to your other questions and info needs after reviewing through on my live/blog.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 200,729 views for this posting.

• 2 weeks later...
Just a random suggestion: take along a bunch of new two-dollar bills to use in Vietnam. They'll love you for it.

In Cambodia yes, in Vietnam not so much...

The USD is the de facto currency in Cambodia and while you can use USD in some places in Vietnam you will find that their own currency is preferred especially if you wander away from the typical tourist locations...

It isn't hard to use the right currency in Vietnam and you will find ATM's that work with the major US bank networks, but be prepared to check more than one as they do not all work.

We use to love using $2 bills on vacations but we stopped as you have to request them at the bank now and yes a lot of people don't know they even exist so they think they are fake! But they use to be perfect for tipping.

The USD is the de facto currency in Cambodia and while you can use USD in some places in Vietnam you will find that their own currency is preferred especially if you wander away from the typical tourist locations...

It isn't hard to use the right currency in Vietnam and you will find ATM's that work with the major US bank networks, but be prepared to check more than one as they do not all work.

Appreciate these above great comments and the follow-up background from Mark, plus the insights from Thom, etc. Based on our experiences earlier this year, these are helpful items of information. Keep researching and planning.

Given the different currencies and the high conversion rates in some of these countries, it is helpful to have your iPhone handy to use the calculator function to make sure what you are paying, etc. For me, it was fairly easy as I am not much of a buyer or shopper. Much prefer to focus on taking pictures and sampling the sights. That's "free" and there are no complicated currency conversions required.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 225,417 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923