Need advice for our next European River cruise.

Flying Scott

I suggest you start by reading the Stickies at the top of this forum, which contain lots of good information about choosing an itinerary and a river cruise line. In addition I'm sure our experienced river cruisers will chime in here.

We also loved the Rhine for our first river cruise, and on our second [both on AMA] we found the Rhone to be even more interesting [great French food in Lyon, Roman ruins in various places esp. Pont du Gard, wineries from Beaujolais to Chateauneuf du Pape, and Van Gogh in Arles]. The other European river cruise that sounds intriguing to me is the Douro -- especially because all sailing is done during the day.

Ask me in October [emoji16]. We also loved our Rhine cruise and we are now booked for Budapest to Amsterdam on the Danube and the Rhine. The ports seemed intriguing and most are new for us with a couple we enjoyed from the Rhine cruise. We also absolutely love Amsterdam so any cruise that includes Amsterdam is great in our estimation [emoji7]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ask me in October [emoji16]. We also loved our Rhine cruise and we are now booked for Budapest to Amsterdam on the Danube and the Rhine. The ports seemed intriguing and most are new for us with a couple we enjoyed from the Rhine cruise. We also absolutely love Amsterdam so any cruise that includes Amsterdam is great in our estimation [emoji7]

We started with the Danube, and one day hope to do the Rhine. I don't think there is a bad choice between them.

We started with a Scenic cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam on the Danube, Main and Rhine. Our second cruise was with Uniworld from Amsterdam to Basel on the Rhine and the Moselle. Our favorites were the Danube and the Moselle so if you have the time I'd recommend to sail from Amsterdam all the way to Budapest. if time is at a premium then I'd suggsest starting in Germany and sailing to Budapest. No matter which you choose, I hope you enjoy the cruise as much as we enjoyed ours.

Paul

If you're going late Nov/Dec, I'd recommend Main/Danube for Christmas Markets! (we did Nuremburg to Basel but I'd love to go the other way and end in Budapest as well)

Otherwise, what are you looking for? Do you want daytime sailing with pretty views? Interesting ports (what kinds of activities?) Any particular city that is preferable/easiest for starting or ending for travel or where you want to spend additional time?

That's how we try to narrow down our options. So many things to see, so little time :hearteyes:

We did the Rhine from Basel to Amsterdam on the Viking Kvaser in November. What an incredible experience. We are ready to plan a similar trip on another river. Which river is as good as the Rhine? Is there one? Appreciate your feedback.

I would recommend the Viking Romanic Danube trip next. Here it is in pictures:

http://www.RhodesVacations.com/danube

I too am a fan of the Moselle. It's a very scenic "small town river." Several lines have trips from Remich to either Amsterdam, Basel, or Nuremberg. Most include stays in Paris before or after the cruise. Cruises to Nuremberg often include a stay in Prague as well. One thing we like about Avalon is the fact that they always offer a "cruise only" option if you want to skip the extra hotel nights before or after.

If you have more time, you can do a Rhine/Moselle cruise--usually 12-14 days.