Vegetarian Menu Celebrity Reflection Eastern Caribbean

CruisinNewb

Is there a special Meatatarian menu available?

Yes as posted above by cruisinnb

As said earlier, any cheese used in the vegetarian dishes on that menu (or indeed anywhere onboard incl the pizza station) is not vegetarian as it contains animal rennet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Following Kevinyork's post, I emailed Celebrity to ask about the cheese in the vegetarian menus. They confirmed that the cheese used is made with rennet, and stated that 'many vegetarians choose to eat cheese made with rennet, knowing what it is made from'

Really? How do they know that, if they don't specifically state this on the menu? Of course they should label the food accordingly! Trade descriptions etc!

I shall contact them when I have cooled down enough to compose a suitably snotty reply!

Following Kevinyork's post, I emailed Celebrity to ask about the cheese in the vegetarian menus. They confirmed that the cheese used is made with rennet, and stated that 'many vegetarians choose to eat cheese made with rennet, knowing what it is made from'

Really? How do they know that, if they don't specifically state this on the menu? Of course they should label the food accordingly! Trade descriptions etc!

I shall contact them when I have cooled down enough to compose a suitably snotty reply!

Thanks for backing me up. I've been hammered in other threads on here for mentioning this. Yes Celebrity have items on their menus, and specifically vegetarian menus, that are marked as being vegetarian and yet they contain cheese made with animal rennet. I contacted the UK MD of Celebrity back in October who expressed surprise and forwarded it on. I chased the issue with her last month and an assistant is in contact with me but seemingly is struggling to get this answers.

My view- either they remove the vegetarian dishes on the menu that contain animal rennet in the cheese or they get their suppliers to ensure the cheese onboard uses non animal rennet ( which is actually cheaper anyway). They use set food suppliers and instructing them to only supply vegetarian cheese would not increase the cost. They cannot continue to mislead passengers that don't eat meat with their vegetarian labelling. We met two sisters on our last cruise who were vegetarian by religion from childhood. They raved about the vegetarian options. We didn't have the heart to tell them they had eaten meat, probably for the first time in their lives as it's forbidden for them.

Shame on Celebrity for misleading them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, Kevin, you have been having some very strange comments on this thread.You certainly haven't been evangelising your views on meat eating, rather expressing a very valid concern that you were not being offered what was advertised.

Would anyone pay for a premium beverage package and expect to turn a blind eye to being given a cheaper spirit than the one they ordered?

Or order steak, expecting beef, and be served horsemeat with the excuse that it's got four legs as well, and the cruise line has found that no one complains!

I can understand that one might take their chances with random cheeses in the buffet or dining rooms, but for Celebrity to produce a dedicated 'vegetarian ' menu that isn't, is downright disgraceful. Not only are they misleading vegetarians but also those who do not eat beef for religious reasons. Are they equally slack with nut allergies?

It has rather knocked my confidence in Celebrity.

• 7 months later...
In the US we have varying vegetarian diets:

Lacto-vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish, poultry and eggs, as well as foods that contain them. Dairy products, such as milk, cheese, yogurt and butter, are included.

Ovo-vegetarian diets exclude meat, poultry, seafood and dairy products, but allow eggs.

Lacto-ovo vegetarian diets exclude meat, fish and poultry, but allow dairy products and eggs.

Pescatarian diets exclude meat and poultry, dairy, and eggs, but allow fish.

Pollotarian diets exclude meat, dairy and fish, but allow poultry.

Vegan diets exclude meat, poultry, fish, eggs and dairy products — and foods that contain these products.

Some people follow a semivegetarian diet — also called a flexitarian diet — which is primarily a plant-based diet but includes meat, dairy, eggs, poultry and fish on occasion or in small quantities.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/vegetarian-diet/art-20046446

Celebrity's vegetarian meals will / may be made with broths including animal products, i.e. chicken stock.

If you don't eat any animal by products you'll need to order vegan.

You are 100% correct, of course. Regardless of contrary opinions.

There is also plant based, which is vegan/vegetarian with the occasional allowance.

You are 100% correct, of course. Regardless of contrary opinions.

There is also plant based, which is vegan/vegetarian with the occasional allowance.

You are repeating inaccurate info. People who eat no meat derivatives are vegetarian. That’s what the V on Celebrity’s menus indicate. Vegans eat no dairy and should notify Celebrity in advance of their diet to be accommodated. Celebrity’s site says that they cater widely for vegetarians and yet those cheese based vegetarian offerings contain meat derivatives.

In June on Eclipse we met with the F&B manager and Chef who admitted the vegetarian dishes on the main menu were not vegetarian and that all cheese had been removed from the vegetarian menu until they could resolve the issue fleetwide.

So it seems they might now understand the problem.

You are repeating inaccurate info. People who eat no meat derivatives are vegetarian. That’s what the V on Celebrity’s menus indicate. Vegans eat no dairy and should notify Celebrity in advance of their diet to be accommodated. Celebrity’s site says that they cater widely for vegetarians and yet those cheese based vegetarian offerings contain meat derivatives.

In June on Eclipse we met with the F&B manager and Chef who admitted the vegetarian dishes on the main menu were not vegetarian and that all cheese had been removed from the vegetarian menu until they could resolve the issue fleetwide.

Celebrity aside, he was not wrong. You just cannot seem to get beyond getting your definitions accepted.

Yeppers, I have known that the cheese's used on 'many' cruise lines are NOT vegan and usually avoid them, as I would any restaurant which could not confirm the contents.

I usually go with a 'vegan' sauce in lieu of the cheese.

bon voyage

To be sure, X is using the American use of the term 'vegetarian' and also includes the Asian definition as well, 'no meat or meat products' while ingredients such as dairy, eggs, and some broths are acceptable in our vegetarian diets.

For those of us who are vegan in the U.S., Asia and a few other parts of the world, this means NO animal products or by-products of any kind in our food, to include honey.

Not to say that your interpretation of 'vegetarian' is incorrect, based on where you live, eat and prepare food in the world, please understand that other parts of the world have a different meaning and apply it as such. When approaching the menus, use the judgement that interpretations are different and order accordingly. X will go out of its' way to accommodate, unless one has to have a cheese burger! LOL

Just like when I visit a few countries where driving on the left hand side of the road is the nom de rigueur, and I have to look right instead of left, this does not make it wrong, just a different application of the driving rules to which I Am accustomed and have to learn to abide accordingly. Not make others succumb to my thoughts on its', the rules, application.

Good eats for all of us vegans, and those who are not...

bon voyage

Yeppers, I have known that the cheese's used on 'many' cruise lines are NOT vegan and usually avoid them, as I would any restaurant which could not confirm the contents.

I usually go with a 'vegan' sauce in lieu of the cheese.

bon voyage

Aahhhrrgg. This isn’t about vegan cheese. It’s about cheese that doesn’t contain animal rennet. Most cheese sold in the UK has no animal rennet. Celebrity advertise menus which are shown as being vegetarian but include non vegetarian cheese. That’s illegal in the UK. If they market themselves to a specific market they need to ensure they meet the needs of that market.

It’s NOTHING to do with vegan cheese!

After months of communications with the UK MD of Celebrity, on our last cruise the onboard team met with us and admitted their vegetarian notifications on their menus were wrong. They had removed all cheese from their vegetarian menus fleetwide and were sourcing vegetarian cheese for the main menu. So it’s not just about outperform views, they had realised they were getting it wrong.

So this isn’t about different interpretations of what is vegetarian, and isn’t about “well if you are a strict vegetarian you should ask for a vegan menu” it’s about being a vegetarian that’s eats dairy but not meat.

Kevin:

While I appreciate the vigor which you promote your view, the purpose of my post was just to provide the menus Celebrity offers on the Reflection.

I suggest if you wish to "educate" people whose opinions differ from yours that you start your own thread about it.

Thanks.

Ron

c - thanks for your clarification as this is not the first time the poster has brought this up concerning how the whole notion of 'vegetarian' is incorrect.

I apologize for my incorrect post to your OP.

bon voyage

Can someone please tell me if the vegetarian menu is still available in Blu? It was last year, but this May we were told by our waiter that it wasn't. We had trouble in May putting a vegetarian meal together in Blu.

gj - even if there is no specific 'vegetarian' menu available in Blu, speak with the chef upon embarkation or first night and they will be more than happy to create something for you.

If you need ideas, request the MDR vegetarian menu and go from there to either create your own for each evening or permit the chef to do their thing and surprize you each evening...

It will be wonderful, for sure, or at least in my experience giving them free hand to create...

bon voyage

Can someone please tell me if the vegetarian menu is still available in Blu? It was last year, but this May we were told by our waiter that it wasn't. We had trouble in May putting a vegetarian meal together in Blu.

gj - even if there is no specific 'vegetarian' menu available in Blu, speak with the chef upon embarkation or first night and they will be more than happy to create something for you.

If you need ideas, request the MDR vegetarian menu and go from there to either create your own for each evening or permit the chef to do their thing and surprize you each evening...

It will be wonderful, for sure, or at least in my experience giving them free hand to create...

bon voyage

We've found that the availability of vegetarian and/or vegan meals in Blu is totally dependent on the Headwaiter or Maitre D' of the dining room.

Last year we sailed B2B on the Eclipse (28 days!) and a lot of the dinners on the first cruise were "misses". We changed to the WONDERFUL Benedict on the second cruise and it was a totally different experience. Creative, delicious dishes every night. (The chef did NOT change from the first cruise to the second!)