Rhine water levels 2018 and similar topics


Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:53 PM.
San Jose, CA
16 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Bon Voyage KittyKat! As we're about to leave No. California with hazy skies everywhere from a nearby fire "the size of Los Angeles" (!!), you're right in keeping the bigger picture in perspective.

Like you, I'll try to post what the resolution to all these changes are once we find out on board. I'm very disappointed in how Crystal communicates; they've not offered any "compensation" for the complete change of plans and no fore-knowledge of what we'll be doing next week. It's a bit unsettling to head off into the unknown! They said they will offer $250 pp for a "future cruise", but if we decide not to cruise again with Crystal this gesture is meaningless. We don't do river cruises (this is first), and for ocean cruises we've got other lines we're more loyal to. Despite Crystal looking disorganized and poor at communication right now, we're expecting that the onboard experience will quickly improve our view.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Love those days at sea!
Rhine, Germany
2,660 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Short report on yesterday's weather events. A heavy-laden band of clouds brought us rain and hail with violent storms in the Rhine valley. The Middle Rhine and Lower Rhine were more affected than the Upper Rhine. It appears from the radar images that the Vosges mountains took a lot of the rain away from the French section of the Rhine making more water drain into the Moselle than the Rhine itself. Hesse with Frankfurt was later affected with the airport closed for half an hour. Earlier clouds had brought more rain to areas downstream from Cologne. Cologne gauging station reacted with one of the biggest rises in water level. Unless the Black Forest and the Neckar can bring some of the rain they got into the Rhine and smaller tributaries contribute as well, the rises are short-lived.


Outlook for Maxau for next week is for levels fluctuating downward, yet not reaching down to the lowest they were on 6 August. Overall currently very little change for the better now and for the next six days. Unless it rains again heavily... Some rain is forecast for Monday.


Who knows, it might just be the extra ten centimetres your ship needs.


Edit: an article on the severe weather in Germany: https://www.dw.com/en/after-the-drou...ues/a-45030361 But parts of France were hit even harder.


notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
14 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
KittyKat52 Thank you so much for replying! I have been trying to find out how the CL's are handling the situation, as this is our first cruise ever and have nothing to compare it to. I do understand there are bigger issue afoot, however this is the only one I have any influence over so it is the one I am trying my best to understand. I hope you enjoy your trip even with all the changes made and it seems as Crystal is trying to help.

Bon Voyage and thank you again for answering my question!
3 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
I've been watching this thread for a few days now. This'll be our first cruise, and I'm somewhat worried it won't be anything like what I envisioned because the boats may not be floating. We'll be headed from amsterdam-basel the 19th-26th, and I'm crossing my fingers the river will be up a couple cm by then.
North Carolina
121 Posts
Joined Jul 2012
Does anyone have any information on Uniworld? We are not traveling until November, just wondering how they are navigating the Rhine with the low water levels?
1 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by TxT0rnad0
I've been watching this thread for a few days now. This'll be our first cruise, and I'm somewhat worried it won't be anything like what I envisioned because the boats may not be floating. We'll be headed from amsterdam-basel the 19th-26th, and I'm crossing my fingers the river will be up a couple cm by then.
We are also cruising Amsterdam to Basel on Viking the 19-26th and am also concerned. Have contacted travel agent with no information as of yet.
3 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by geojude
We are also cruising Amsterdam to Basel on Viking the 19-26th and am also concerned. Have contacted travel agent with no information as of yet.
we're not on Viking, but I'll be curious if you hear anything. We haven't, yet.
10 Posts
Joined May 2015
We just set sail from Amsterdam about 30 minutes ago on Viking Mani. In the briefing this evening nothing was said about changes in itinerary. I will be happy to post if there is a change. It rained quite heavily most of today in Amsterdam and a number of good showers yesterday as well.
2,045 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by geojude
We are also cruising Amsterdam to Basel on Viking the 19-26th and am also concerned. Have contacted travel agent with no information as of yet.
9 days is far too far in the future for any reliable predictions unfortunately.

Even 2 or 3 days can make a significant difference either way.
Rhine, Germany
2,660 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello Mark_T,


you are very right. 9 days is further away than any experts' predictions on the Rhine. 2 to 3 days is a forecast, after that they issue predictions 7 days out maximum. Those graphs always have an inbuilt variability. A significant change can happen within 48 hours which is happening right now. The three river levels I normally post for reference:


Maxau 383cm - a downward trend again after that area reacted to the heavy rainfall two days


Kaub 80cm - a nice rise, bringing the gauge above the GlW figure of 78cm for now (that is important for the navigation channel)


Koblenz 71cm - still fluctuating under the GlW figure of 78cm but a rise during the day is possible


That is all still too low, though, to make our minds feel at ease. Hopefully the slightly cooler temperatures and more rainfall on Monday will do the trick.


johng75370,


safe travels. As I posted a couple of days ago, I am sure you will love the Moselle.


Kittykat52,


I am sure Crystal has put some great excursions put together for you. I did not mean to upset you, the Rhine has great vistas downstream from Koblenz and castles, too. They do not match the Rhine gorge, of course. Looking forward to hearing your reports about Crystal's amendments, perhaps in the new thread that deals with the topic of river cruise companies' reactions to the low water situation.


Safe travels.


notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
14 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by histiomom
We just set sail from Amsterdam about 30 minutes ago on Viking Mani. In the briefing this evening nothing was said about changes in itinerary. I will be happy to post if there is a change. It rained quite heavily most of today in Amsterdam and a number of good showers yesterday as well.
i would be interested to hear about your progress! enjoy your journey.
Rhine, Germany
2,660 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
histiomom,


looking forward to your reports. Have a great (uninterrupted) cruise. marinetraffic currently shows that the Viking Ingvi has made it through the gorge and will be approaching Koblenz soon. The Viking Idi is in the gorge going upstream and should reappear on the radar at its correct spot in a few hours at Rüdesheim. Positions are often not picked up in some areas along the gorge.


So what does it look like around the narrow stretches in the famous castle section? I found a nice short report on the current situation from the perspective of the vessels. Quite literally... A reporter of the German (license) TV channel ZDF went into the gorge and onto a barge. This is her report of 9 August from the narrow point at St. Goar. 00:12 is the Lorelei rock, 00:56 the two ships on the right have to wait till the container ship has passed through the narrows, 02:09 shows the castle in the river at Kaub called (Pfalzgrafenstein), 02:59 shows her visit to the ministry in Mainz and the interview where it is explained that the regional governments want to lobby for the federal government to invest in deepening the navigation channel of the Rhine. https://www.zdf.de/nachrichten/zdf-m...rhein-100.html


If you have any questions about the video, ask away.


notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
3 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
Originally posted by notamermaid


If you have any questions about the video, ask away.


notamermaid

That was very interesting! Thank you for all your help with us newbies
7 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by notamermaid

Kittykat52,


I am sure Crystal has put some great excursions put together for you. I did not mean to upset you, the Rhine has great vistas downstream from Koblenz and castles, too. They do not match the Rhine gorge, of course. Looking forward to hearing your reports about Crystal's amendments, perhaps in the new thread that deals with the topic of river cruise companies' reactions to the low water situation.


Safe travels.


notamermaid
Thank you for reassuring me that we will still have interesting scenery from Koblenz to Amsterdam on the Crystal Debussy 😊.

We begin the first leg of our air tomorrow morning and will arrive in Basel Monday morning and then on to Frankfurt and the ship. ETA on board by 5 p.m. if travel progresses smoothly.

I will post once onboard concerning how Crystal handles our itinerary changes.

Which thread would be best for my posts on board? I have really enjoyed all of your help, notamermaid. I will miss your comments if I have to move to another thread!
😿
2 Posts
Joined Aug 2018
The Avalon Artistry II has been in the Linz area for a week now. Not sure if it’s stuck due to low levels or based on their schedule changes getting through locks. We are supposed to embark on it on the 25th in Amsterdam, but I expect our itinerary to change to Frankfurt and we’ll tootle around the Moselle. But I hope the ship gets off the Danube. Does anyone have any intel on this? Just curious how it all works. No matter what happens I think the trip will be awesome!
ca
1,173 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
I will be on the uniworld Antoinette September 9th. This will be my first river cruise so not sure what to expect if the ship can’t make it to Basel where we are flying home from. Will uniworld give us a heads up about any change in itinerary or is the ship able to navigate shallow water ?
10 Posts
Joined May 2015
Smooth cruising so far. Planned excursion stops in Rotterdam and Kinderdijk this morning plus an unexpected stop at Gorinchem due to an unfortunate medical event. Entered the Rhine from the Waal about an hour ago. Sailing overnight to stop in Cologne tomorrow. No discussion of any changes to itinerary.
Rhine, Germany
2,660 Posts
Joined Oct 2013
Hello vino100,

The SS Antoinette is a IMHO beautiful ship of long length with a draft given as 1.6m. If she cannot sail to Basel you will hear when onboard and Uniworld will make sure that you reach Basel by coach I assume. This would be standard procedure. If you need further assistance or would like to discuss such a scenario before you leave for Europe, you could always send Uniworld an email.

There is of course the possibility that Uniworld decides proactively to amend the itinerary (see posts further above) but for that your cruise is too far into the future.

notamermaid
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Transocean Belvedere Danube April 2013
English Channel Crossings 1984 to present:
Calais - Dover
Ostend - Dover
Dutch island hopping 1980's
Many Rhine river short trips
ca
1,173 Posts
Joined Jul 2008
Originally posted by notamermaid
Hello vino100,

The SS Antoinette is a IMHO beautiful ship of long length with a draft given as 1.6m. If she cannot sail to Basel you will hear when onboard and Uniworld will make sure that you reach Basel by coach I assume. This would be standard procedure. If you need further assistance or would like to discuss such a scenario before you leave for Europe, you could always send Uniworld an email.

There is of course the possibility that Uniworld decides proactively to amend the itinerary (see posts further above) but for that your cruise is too far into the future.

notamermaid
Notamermaid you are so appreciated. Your knowledge is so helpful to all of us newbies to river cruising.
I’m keeping my fingers crossed that my cruise is not in a bus ! We are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary and splurged on a suite. Not sure I would want to spend that much for a bus tour.
Lake Wales, FL
665 Posts
Joined Apr 2009
Originally posted by histiomom
Smooth cruising so far. Planned excursion stops in Rotterdam and Kinderdijk this morning plus an unexpected stop at Gorinchem due to an unfortunate medical event. Entered the Rhine from the Waal about an hour ago. Sailing overnight to stop in Cologne tomorrow. No discussion of any changes to itinerary.
Thank you so much! Our cruise isn't until the beginning of October. I know things can change but it's great to get this info.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature