Well shoot! Just got off the phone with NCL and here is the new itinerary:

Monday: Kotor

Tuesday: Dubrovnik

Wednesday: Olympia

Thursday: Athens

Friday: At Sea

Saturday: Croatia

This is a totally different cruise now

Wonder if it has to do with The fact that Santorini is often overrun with way too many ships in port. I keep reading that the numbers will be limited. last year when the NCL replaced Kusadasi with an extra day in Santorini on the Jade it was not a fun day for those who went up.

The Jade med was sold as either a two week or one week with alternate ports each week until Santorini replacement. The extra Santorini day was a relatively late addition due to the situation in Turkey and I assumed the only viable port replacement at the time. The original Santorini day was great with the Jade often the only ship in port. The additional Santorini day was a mess. cruise lines that cancelled Turkish ports later than NCL often had zero replacement and ended up with extra sea days so crowded Santorini was better than nothing but many opted not to even get off the ship due to crowds.

Perhaps they are trying to mix up the schedule to get alternating itineraries so they can sell as a b2b on the star like they did in previous years when the Jade did this itinerary. I'd take the new schedule any day over the mess that Santorini is when too many ships in port.

[quote=littlelulu01;52046137

The Jade med was sold as either a two week or one week with alternate ports each week until Santorini replacement. The extra Santorini day was a relatively late addition due to the situation in Turkey and I assumed the only viable port replacement at the time.

Lulu - We did that cruise in 2015 (while Kusadasi ws still a stop) and loved Santorini so much .. it was a big reason we booked this cruise. But I would not enjoy a crowded Santorini. I was sad at first when I saw the new itinerary, but after doing a little digging into the new ports, I'm kind of stoked to see this part of the world. We've never been there and it looks beautiful

Lulu - We did that cruise in 2015 (while Kusadasi ws still a stop) and loved Santorini so much .. it was a big reason we booked this cruise. But I would not enjoy a crowded Santorini. I was sad at first when I saw the new itinerary, but after doing a little digging into the new ports, I'm kind of stoked to see this part of the world. We've never been there and it looks beautiful

Yes. We also did the b2b in 2015 and 2016. When I found out that our extra Santorini day was along with 10k other passengers I ended up booking Alex private boat tours. They picked us up at tender drop off so no need to go up to Fira. We had an incredible day and I felt terrible for those who really were at their wits end by the time they came back down to get on tender. Was a terrible day to be confiscating water bottles. People had waited hours in line for cable car and many who should not have been walking down that hill were in no shape to do so but didn't really have a choice. Panos from Alex boat tours said he felt really bad too because not only does this mess ruin the day for cruise passengers but also for everyone who is on a land vacation.

Not sure what the extra Croatia port is but the new itinerary looks really nice. I would have been tempted to book had this been the original itinerary.

OhMyGoodness ... walking down that hill would be awful ... no matter what shape you are in. We talked to a very fit group who opted to walk it in 2015 and they told us horror stories of walking down steep narrow tracks that were slick and covered in donkey poo. What a way to end a day on the island :(

... that's a great big glass of "nope"

And I would assume the Croatia port is Spilt. but don't quote me on that

Edited by LadyStone50

OhMyGoodness ... walking down that hill would be awful ... no matter what shape you are in. We talked to a very fit group who opted to walk it in 2015 and they told us horror stories of walking down steep narrow tracks that were slick and covered in donkey poo. What a way to end a day on the island :(

... that's a great big glass of "nope"

And I would assume the Croatia port is Spilt. but don't quote me on that

I think NCL does a good job of getting some great itineraries. Their original Santorini day was much better than other lines when the Jade did the sailing. The Jade was in port for the afternoon and the other ships were there in the morning so had to fight much bigger crowds and the waits to get back down. My 2017 sailing on the Jade Norway, Iceland.. is far superior than anything I could find on any other lines, including luxury lines. Perhaps I'm biased but it has sold out. I wouldn't be surprised if NCL made a decision to change itinerary for your sailing due to additional ships being added to the Santorini and Ravenna days. I've read that Santorini ships would be limited in 2014,2105 and 2016 but that didn't materialize. Who knows perhaps the port of Santorini decided that money wasn't everything and finally put a limit for 2017.

• 2 weeks later...