Azipod on the Pearl

TMLAalum

There are problems with this and those of us on the 8/24 sailing will have NO time to disembark in Victoria and a shortened time in Ketchikan because the Pearl has to travel more slowly to preserve the integrity of this apparatus which helps move the ship.

NCL has offered a full refund if passengers so choose or else a $50 per cabin credit.

James,

I remember you told me about this a couple of weeks ago it seems? Knew it would show up eventually.

It's too bad as Victoria was very, very pretty. After planning for such a long time though I think I'd go ahead with my Alaska plans.

My family still discusses which was better, out Hawaii vacation or our Alaska one. I'm on the Hawaii side.

There are problems with this and those of us on the 8/24 sailing will have NO time to disembark in Victoria and a shortened time in Ketchikan because the Pearl has to travel more slowly to preserve the integrity of this apparatus which helps move the ship.

NCL has offered a full refund if passengers so choose or else a $50 per cabin credit.

That's not good news at all!:( How did you hear about it?

I would think this would not only affect your cruise, but the ones after you on the 31st and into September. Has anyone else heard anything?

Victoria is nice, but if you are going to skip a port, that's the one you'd want to miss.

My parents chose to stay on the boat in Victoria. The port time is normally 6 PM to 11:30 PM, and that is pretty late, and interferes with cocktail and dinner hour for many.

We did go ashore and are glad we did, but if I had to choose between not going and getting a refund and the port changes, I'd go on the cruise. The 50 bucks is a nice gesture.

Ketchikan is a really nice port, and less port time there may impact excursions some. How much shorter is that port of call?

We are on the repo cruise on 9/21...any info out there, as to how this

might effect us ?

We are spending a fortune for this trip and $50 OBC will not cut

it with us.

Please keep us all posted and informed...Thanks so much

This is how we heard the news. One of the couples who is cruising with us, but booked thru a different travel agent, was informed by her TA today and she passed the news onto us. I have previously posted about my disillusionment with our group's TA and none of us, including the group leader, were notified.

As for us, we are in Portland and wouldn't think of cancelling at this point, plus we have had time in Victoria BC in the past, and except for missing the buskers at the Inner Harbour and the absolutely fantastic oysters there, I guess that missing this port is the most acceptable of possible options for us.

Will any upcoming Pearl voyage be cancelled due to this problem?

At first they were thinking they would have to cancel one and do the emergency dry dock but now it sounds like they can continue without any big problems. Soon the ship will go to Miami and if anything is needed they can do a quick drydock in the Bahamas.

A Carnival ship has the exact same thing broken and they have been cruising with the problem for about 10 months now.

At first they were thinking they would have to cancel one and do the emergency dry dock but now it sounds like they can continue without any big problems. Soon the ship will go to Miami and if anything is needed they can do a quick drydock in the Bahamas.

A Carnival ship has the exact same thing broken and they have been cruising with the problem for about 10 months now.

James what date is set for drydock? I've searched around and can't find anything nor do I see a break in it's schedule.

I have known about this since the night it happened. It sounded like at first they were going to have to do an emergency dry dock before the repo cruise to Miami but now I think they are in no rush so I wouldn't worry too much.

So when did the azipod problem actually begin? On our Pearl cruise to Alaska, May 25th, she didn't appear to have any problems as many times we were cruising along at 22 and 23 knots. And we arrived early in every port.

So when did the azipod problem actually begin? On our Pearl cruise to Alaska, May 25th, she didn't appear to have any problems as many times we were cruising along at 22 and 23 knots. And we arrived early in every port.

Just guessing that it happened in the last two weeks based on James' comments above.

Archived