Alaska HAL Cruisetour Meal Plan

Deadrise

Has anyone used the HAL Cruisetour meal plan in Alaska? We are planning a trip in June and wondering if the meal plan is worth the cost on the land portion of our trip. We love to explore on our own. Since this is our first trip to Alaska, we don't know how remote some of the places are nor how difficult it would be to find some place to eat particularly late in the evening.

Has anyone used the HAL Cruisetour meal plan in Alaska? We are planning a trip in June and wondering if the meal plan is worth the cost on the land portion of our trip. We love to explore on our own. Since this is our first trip to Alaska, we don't know how remote some of the places are nor how difficult it would be to find some place to eat particularly late in the evening.

I used the meal plan last June in Denali on my HAL cruisetour and it is not cost effective IMHO. You would have to eat the most expensive items on the menus with desserts to come close. By ordering more modest items, you should save a lot and you can also take advantage of a Subway across the street from the McKinley Lodge.

Close reading of the HAL plan shows not all lunches are included. The FREE snack box on the Tundra Wilderness tour is more than enough for a decent lunch.

Here is a link to my photos of McKinley Lodge that includes menus of the lodge restaurants:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/place/alaska-2/denali/mckinley-lodge/

I went on HAL's Denali/Yukon cruisetour. It was wonderful by the way.(y)

We didn't buy the meal plan as it was just far more than we thought necessary. We had some in our group that purchased the plan though. It was only worth it if you chose the most expensive meal every time and ate at their designated place.

We paid as we went and would do it again.