Europe River Cruise Season Returning to Normal After Tough Climate Conditions

Host Jazzbeau

The main difference regarding the Elbe river is: There is no lock and dam system on the German side. Danube and Rhine rivers do have locks and dams and are - for most parts of the rivers - able to control the depth of the channel. On the Elbe river there are only dams on the Czech side of the river. And the Czechs don´t open the dams to let the water flow downriver as they need the water too (drink water supply and more).

This combined with a lack of rain causes the problems. But those problems are frequent and known. This year was an extreme hot and dry July and August (til mid August). So we came up with a new "record" on this. But actually like the floodings it´s a more or less regular problem which the climate change may add its toll.

steamboats

Thank you, steamboats, for pointing out the Elbe's specific problems. If I may add: the Rhine, as you said, is regulated by means of dams and locks. This works really well to keep the water level from dropping so low that ships cannot sail. However, a section that is not regulated is the famous castle stretch (not only that stretch, but I mention it as it is the most important one for your enjoyment when cruising). There the river is narrow, which helps to keep the level up, but it is windy and therefore full of sandbanks. The rocks make navigation dangerous in low water, narrowing the navigation channel. Here the impact of low water is very much felt and sometimes ships with deep drafts have to stop sailing. This year, in my humble opinion, we were close to it three weeks ago as local day cruises had to be amended in their itineraries.

The water levels are still low and the rainfall is not substantial enough. I therefore do not fully agree with the title of the article. It is not over yet, just a bit more relaxed.

Temperatures are rising again.

notamermaid

Regarding the Rhine, I think that information is off. I sure hope the report is correct so that others don't have their cruises impacted. When we were there in mid-August, there was no rain at all and record heat.

We were just there about 10 days ago and our cruise was diverted from Speyer due to low water. Many people were anticipating the river being closed down (at least part of it) the following week. The low water level was really incredible - at that time it was a good 7' below normal. You could see all kinds of rocks that would've normally been covered, big white lines of sediment showing where the river normally is and longer & longer gangways to the docks. Hoping it's improved.

Hello DrivesLikemario,

Regarding the Rhine, I think that information is off. I sure hope the report is correct so that others don't have their cruises impacted. When we were there in mid-August, there was no rain at all and record heat.

We were just there about 10 days ago and our cruise was diverted from Speyer due to low water. Many people were anticipating the river being closed down (at least part of it) the following week. The low water level was really incredible - at that time it was a good 7' below normal. You could see all kinds of rocks that would've normally been covered, big white lines of sediment showing where the river normally is and longer & longer gangways to the docks. Hoping it's improved.

So during my absence from the Rhine valley - I did not keep an eye on the level then, not even virtually on a computer - it did go from bad to worse. That is what I feared. What happened in Speyer, did you not get to see the castles?

Speyer is already downstream from the last lock but still upstream form the castle stretch.

And looking at all the rocks and sandbanks can be a bit scary. :eek:

Hope you have a good time in London. :) Despite all the tourists. :D

If you go in September check out the Totally Thames festival.

Back on topic:

Quote:

"But continued rainfall is less than certain. The European Commission's latest long-range forecast predicts that drier-than-normal conditions will persist through September in Central and Northern Europe."

Difficult situation not over yet then, especially for agriculture.

notamermaid

We were on the Viking Kvasir last week and through the castle stretch last Wednesday. I must admit I noticed none of the indicators of low water that others have mentioned, but I'm sure that's just because I don't know what to look for. Our cruise(Basel >Amsterdam) had no impacts from river levels and river traffic in general seemed very robust.

BTW - spectacular.

FM