New Executive Orders concerning Cuba

CHEVSTRISS

Yes,it affects all cruises out of the US with port stops in Cuba. RCI has sent out an email to all customers and updated their FAQ. You have to book a tour now - either with the cruise line or a licensed private tour operator - for the people-to-people program. No walk-offs on your own.

It's not quite clear yet whether you can book a tour in the morning and then walk off on your own in the afternoon.

steamboats

Yes,it affects all cruises out of the US with port stops in Cuba. RCI has sent out an email to all customers and updated their FAQ. You have to book a tour now - either with the cruise line or a licensed private tour operator - for the people-to-people program. No walk-offs on your own.

It's not quite clear yet whether you can book a tour in the morning and then walk off on your own in the afternoon.

steamboats

Can I assume this would not apply to Canadians on these Sailings?

Friends of ours just got back from the NCL Cuba cruise a few days ago. They had private arrangements through their travel provider. The travel provider, a family friend, took care of all the paperwork. You definitely need someone who knows the laws in the US and Cuba to file all the paperwork properly. Our friends had great tours at reasonable prices (7 hours @ $90/couple total for the transportation) but it was all arranged in advance. Don't just plan on walking off like you are in the rest of the Caribbean.

Can I assume this would not apply to Canadians on these Sailings?

I bet the logistics for NCL letting people on and off the boats is going to be a nightmare trying to determine who can and who can't just walk off, and then determining who has a legitimate and approved type tour and which tours are't approved. Wow!

take it with a grain of salt, but Blexie-Havana Tours has posted on their fb page that their tours should be compliant with the new rulings. Honestly I don't think anyone really knows what is going to happen. I have a bad feeling some people are gonna find out when they dock.:o

The bad thing is it looks like each cruise line is going to do something different. Royal updated their cuba page and has made a few changes. There is still a way to do private tours under their new layout. Carnival has done nothing with their cuba page and someone called them and was told that Carnival does not plan on changing the way they are currently handling Cuba cruises. NCL also has said nothing and has changed nothing on their website. Has anyone tried calling them to see what's up?

Then that is an RCI rule as there are no restrictions on Canadians traveling to Cuba.

No, it´s not an RCI rule it´s a rule by the US government applying to all cruises out of the US.

steamboats

(there are no restrictions for Germans or other Europeans either but it looks like we have to obey if we cruise out of an US port)