Freedom Western Med 23rd May

allypolo

Can't actually believe it but my wife has finally booked a long haul flight so we are going Glasgow - Orlando direct and we are doing 7 night Western Med followed by a week at Orlando with our 16yr old son.

We've been on Liberty & Independence round the Med a few times so know what to expect from the ship but my heads about to explode trying to look at all the ports, possible excursion and trying to plan stuff to do post cruise, so would appreciate any advice on Labadee, Falmouth, George Town etc for a pasty Scottish first timer ;)

I'm SO excited !!!

Ally

Can't actually believe it but my wife has finally booked a long haul flight so we are going Glasgow - Orlando direct and we are doing 7 night Western Med followed by a week at Orlando with our 16yr old son.

We've been on Liberty & Independence round the Med a few times so know what to expect from the ship but my heads about to explode trying to look at all the ports, possible excursion and trying to plan stuff to do post cruise, so would appreciate any advice on Labadee, Falmouth, George Town etc for a pasty Scottish first timer ;)

I'm SO excited !!!

Ally

Have a great time! I've never been on the Freedom, but I've read great things about her!

By the way, you'll be sailing in the Caribbean, not the Med. :)

Labadee is a great beach day. If you want to spend some extra $$$, you can do the zipline. I believe there is also a waterslide and roller coaster that cost $.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I'm SO excited !!!

Ally

Anywhere near Motherwell? I have a coworker there. I would mention, in case you weren't aware, Grand Caymen is a tender port not a docked port, just in case you didn't know. I usually stick with Royal sponsored excursions on tender ports in case you don't make it into port.

Depends on what you want to do or not to do. Labadee zip line, coaster, water slide. canoes , jet ski or sit on the beach I prefer a Cabana to relax.

Falmouth active would be Climb Dunn River Falls, River Raft, are the big ones besides the zip lines and Rain Forest walks. Shopping near the Ports, Margaritaville, tour the town in a Horse drawn Surry.

Grand Cayman is Dolphins, Stingrays, Scuba, Submarines Diving tour the town, Go to Hell, as stated before you MUST TENDER so watch the time.

Lovely ship nice ports relax and enjoy.

We've been on FOS twice previously and will be sailing on her again in June. FOS is one of our FAVORITE ships. We think it is just the right size. It is in dry dock right now getting refurbished and some much needed replacement of a propeller. The ship itself will appeal to your son if he is cruising with you. There is a rock climbing wall, FlowRider, mini-golf, basketball court, gym, video arcade, fabulous shows (don't miss the ice skating show) and the promenade is beautiful. There's much more than this to do, but you'll be able to find a complete list on Royal Caribbean's site. The staff is fabulous. We've been to the ports previously and love the Western route. If you do an excursion to Dunns River Falls, you will be spending 2 hours each way to get there, so keep that in mind. Look at the excursions offered on the Royal Caribbean site and go to your particular cruise date on the Meet and Mingle here to get a good idea of what suits you. Labadee is wonderful and they will have a BBQ buffet on the beach. You can take a ride on a tram around the island, do some walking to explore the sites, zip line, water "toys" and just relaxing on a lounger or in a hammock. Grand Cayman is one of my favorites. You'll find plenty of ideas for excursions there.

@allypollo- We did FOS- Sept 2013 and LOS- Sept 2014

They are like twins except for the decor, we figured our way around the ship very quickly the 2nd time.

Falmouth- We used Patrice Bailey and went to Dunns River Falls(2nd time for us but had to take the new son-in-law:) and a few highlights on the way we were happy with her services.

Grand Cayman- if it's first time it's neat to go to Stingray City (you don't need to use the ship tour) Several years ago we used Captain Crosby we had an awesome day. You can always check Trip Advisor for reputable companies.

Labadee in Sept 2013- Did take a ship tour to a fishing village which was kind of a neat experience. You can always just go to the beaches, but our family gets bored sitting around! The zipline and roller coaster seems quite pricey for all there is to it. IMO