Blexie Tour Guide Takes Pics For You?

Medtech2

We have a Havana tour set up through Blexie with Raul. Blexie said to bring an SD card and Raul would take pictures for us, presumably on his camera. Has anyone done this? It would be great because then I could maybe relax but am curious as to whether his camera would be good, whether his photography would be good, etc.

I’ve had both good and bad experiences with tour guides taking pictures so that is why I’m asking, plus no one else has mentioned this that I know of. In New York City our guide dropped my camera on rocks in Central Park and broke it. In Cozumel our guide took fantastic pictures while we were snorkeling, much better than I would have. Two guides, two very different outcomes.

If I go that route I plan on bringing an extra card just to give him plus an extra tip.

For me, taking the pictures myself is what makes it worthwhile. If I'm getting someone else to take them for me, I might as well just download pictures off the internet. That's not to say I wouldn't be happy for the guide to take a few of us in special locations, but I would not want nor expect him to take all my pictures.

We booked a tour with Blexie. Our guide was Yoly, and she was great! She used our phones to take pictures of us; for sights and buildings, we took our own. Blexie didn't tell us anything about an SD card.

We have a Havana tour set up through Blexie with Raul. Blexie said to bring an SD card and Raul would take pictures for us, presumably on his camera. Has anyone done this? It would be great because then I could maybe relax but am curious as to whether his camera would be good, whether his photography would be good, etc.

I’ve had both good and bad experiences with tour guides taking pictures so that is why I’m asking, plus no one else has mentioned this that I know of. In New York City our guide dropped my camera on rocks in Central Park and broke it. In Cozumel our guide took fantastic pictures while we were snorkeling, much better than I would have. Two guides, two very different outcomes.

If I go that route I plan on bringing an extra card just to give him plus an extra tip.

When are you going to Havana? We are going in November and will also have Raul as our guide. The confirmation I received from Blexie didn’t mention anything about an SD card. I might take one just in case. My phone takes great pictures but it would be nice to have someone else taking pictures too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We take our own "scenic" photos and have the Guide take photos of myself & wife, both with our own camera.

One of the private tour companies offers a young lady photographer who acts as guide AND photographer and at the conclusion provides an SD Card with 100+ shots, albeit at about twice the price of their normal tour.

Ken

Raul is not officially a 'tour guide'

He is a photographer that happens to give tours, but that's not his official title.

He does not have a license to operate as a tour guide and has come unstuck with the authorities before.

Saying all of that he is a great guide, he took us all over old Havana and beyond.

Very knowledgeable, a great personality. Speaks perfect English.

He had an older camera when he took us, and he emailed the photos.

The quality was not so good, just low detail.

But he has a nice shiny DSLR now a days so take a long a card and have him fill it for you.

It’s a relief not having to take photos.

We ended up just giving him one of our cameras to use for ourtrip.

The photos he took with that camera were great. Bonus, we were all in them.

Raul is a great guy, if he’s your guide for the day you will have a memorable experience.

He is a photographer that happens to give tours, but that's not his official title.

He does not have a license to operate as a tour guide and has come unstuck with the authorities before.

Saying all of that he is a great guide, he took us all over old Havana and beyond.

But he has a nice shiny DSLR now a days so take a long a card and have him fill it for you.

Raul is a great guy, if he’s your guide for the day you will have a memorable experience.

Thank you so much for your post. Now I’m really looking forward to touring with Raul! I do have a couple of questions. I’m not very knowledgeable about cameras but think different cameras require different memory cards. Do you happen to know which kind we would need to take? Second...I was told that Raul loves baseball. Besides that, do you happen to know his interests? Children? Wife? We’d like to take him a gift for being our host. Thanks!

Thank you so much for your post. Now I’m really looking forward to touring with Raul! I do have a couple of questions. I’m not very knowledgeable about cameras but think different cameras require different memory cards. Do you happen to know which kind we would need to take? Second...I was told that Raul loves baseball. Besides that, do you happen to know his interests? Children? Wife? We’d like to take him a gift for being our host. Thanks!

I would imagine a typical SD card. Its pretty standardized nowadays.

Ref the other questions, wife and young daughter.

I can ask him if there is anything needed, I have him as a fbfriend.

But, saying that. Cash works.

Raul uses a canon EOS 50D from 2008, so pretty old but perfectly useable. I was wrong about the SD card.

This takes a

Canon EOS 50D Digital Camera Memory Card 4GB CompactFlash Memory Card

As per Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/EOS-Digital-Camera-Memory-CompactFlash/dp/B003B530Q2

He said his wife always appreciates Candies or chocolate.

Raul uses a canon EOS 50D from 2008, so pretty old but perfectly useable. I was wrong about the SD card.

This takes a

As per Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/EOS-Digital-Camera-Memory-CompactFlash/dp/B003B530Q2

EXCELLENT! Thank you SO much! We were already planning on the “cash” part but I thought a little something they can’t easily get might be nice too.

And my husband says he thinks he has an unused

Canon Compact Flash Memory Card that might work.

I really appreciate your responses. Thanks again!

Thanks for posting this thread. We are also using Blexie and have Raul as our guide, and we'd also like to bring something for him and his family. How old is his daughter? Any thoughts on what would be best to bring his wife? We've got some baseball items for him, so that's done.

Thanks for posting this thread. We are also using Blexie and have Raul as our guide, and we'd also like to bring something for him and his family. How old is his daughter? Any thoughts on what would be best to bring his wife? We've got some baseball items for him, so that's done.

The official itinerary is on his Facebook page, just search Blexie Cuba and it should come up. However, I believe you can request to change that and personalize the tour to what you are interested in seeing.

Thank you very much!

Great to know! I have a simple point and shoot so his camera is probably better. I bought 2 High speed SD cards, one for him to use to take our pictures and one for him to keep as a circe, in addition to a tip. I’m not sure how the supply of such things is on the island.

What do you mean by unstuck with the authorities?

This takes a

Well oops, I already bought SD cards....

Yes! I think I’ll get that adapter and hope it works. I looked on line last night but read mixed reviews on them. I had emailed Blexie to ask him to clarify whether Raul used SD or CompactFlash and he got back to me right away. Unfortunately I don’t think he was understanding my question, or that different cameras use different cards, because he just repeated I was confirmed and bring a card. (I think I’ve been frustrating him with my questions) I, myself had forgotten about CompactFlash but if Raul’s camera is from 2008 it makes sense.

I do have a favor to ask, though, since you know him on FB. I just want to make sure, since Raul is a relatively common name, that he is the Raul I will be meeting. Can you ask him if he is leading a tour for Karen on Sept 11?

Yes! I think I’ll get that adapter and hope it works. I looked on line last night but read mixed reviews on them. I had emailed Blexie to ask him to clarify whether Raul used SD or CompactFlash and he got back to me right away. Unfortunately I don’t think he was understanding my question, or that different cameras use different cards, because he just repeated I was confirmed and bring a card. (I think I’ve been frustrating him with my questions) I, myself had forgotten about CompactFlash but if Raul’s camera is from 2008 it makes sense.

I do have a favor to ask, though, since you know him on FB. I just want to make sure, since Raul is a relatively common name, that he is the Raul I will be meeting. Can you ask him if he is leading a tour for Karen on Sept 11?

Yes his camera uses CompactFlash type cards.

I will message him.