How does setting up on board spending as cash account work?

We're going on a large family cruise next month and rather than trying to walk everybody through online check-in I was planning on just doing the check-in for everybody and printing out the set sail passes for the entire group. I don't want to call and ask for credit card info from 12 people so I was thinking of just setting everybody else to a cash account.

If online check in is set to cash account, can we switch it to credit cards at the pier during check-in?

If anybody wants to keep the account as cash based, what do we need to know? We've never done a cash account before; I know that Royal lets you charge a set amount (I think I saw $500) before they chase you down. Do you just visit guest services when you hit the limit/last night and pay via cash/credit card?

What happens if somebody tries to not pay off their account? I'm assuming they'll be stopped from disembarking, but will it impact anybody else in our group? There's one person that I'm a little worried about (a boyfriend who was invited by a cousin)

You can do the online checkin for everyone and when they check in at the port they can easily change it to a credit card themselves or leave it a cash account

Yes can charge up to $500 before putting cash down and you will need to go to Guest Services to pay off your account or to add more cash.

If an account is not settled in full their Sea Pass card will sound a buzz when they try to scan off the ship on the last morning. They will then be delayed and sent to Guest Services to clear their account. Only the person with the questionable account will be delayed

On 7 day and longer cruises you can charge up to $500 before being asked to pay down your balance. For cruises 6 days and less that amount is $300. You may pay the balance off with cash, debit card or credit card while still maintaining the cash account status. (In other words your credit card is not kept on file and you do not authorize additional charges against it without your consent).

I'll address a couple of issues not mentioned

Yes you can change your account at check-in or once on board from a cash based account to a credit card backed account. BUT I would advise NOT TELLING any family or friend about being able to charge up to a certain amount before doing so. If they know for themselves good, but if at all possible let them think they need the account backed by something first.

Then instruct everyone to make the change during check-in, some ports will even accept cash toward the seapass at the check-in counter. That way they could avoid waiting on a second line at Guest Services.

I'll address a couple of issues not mentioned

Yes you can change your account at check-in or once on board from a cash based account to a credit card backed account. BUT I would advise NOT TELLING any family or friend about being able to charge up to a certain amount before doing so. If they know for themselves good, but if at all possible let them think they need the account backed by something first.

Yeah, we are definitely not going to tell them about the option for a cash account; just getting our ducks in a row in case they find out online or are told at the check-in counter. We are not even telling the cousin or her boyfriend about the $50 OBC, figured that can be a little cushion just in case.

Planning this family cruise has by far been the most stressful cruising experience in our life, but it will all be worthwhile once we're on board.

The other downside is the necessity to settle your account prior to disembarking. You have to avoid charging anything once you pay your balance and it's typically crowded. (Better to do it the night prior. Who wants that hassle the morning of disembarkation?) We traveled with two adult kids about a year ago and they did GREAT on a cash account. No issues. Paid it off the last night without any issues.