Looking at Cruises out of Baltimore, MD

mpdahmer

We are looking to book a family cruise out of Baltimore, MD in June 2019. The two ships that sail from this port are the Grandeur of the Seas and the Carnival Pride. The Grandeur is a 9 night while the Pride is a seven night. The cost of sailing is almost equal but the costs for the Grandeur ports would be more for us. Overall the Grandeur would cost us more but it is 2 additional nights.

We have sailed on the Pride 3 times and only sailed on RCI (Explorer of the Seas) once out of Bayonne, NJ.

Looking to see if anyone has done both or at least the Grandeur and another Carnival ship for comparisons. Also on port ideas for the Grandeur ports (Canaveral; Miami; Key West)

Thanks in advance for any information.

We've done both Pride and Grandeur out of Baltimore. We've been happy on both. There are small differences between cruiselines, but nothing major. Some say Grandeur is an older crowd, but I think in June when school is out, there are plenty of youngsters. It's been about 10 years since we did Grandeur, so things may have changed. We are sailing her in a month, so I will find out!

We enjoyed the Cape Canaveral excursion when we were there on Pride a few years ago. Would enjoy it again.

We sail the Grandeur at least 2 times a year and love that ship. The crew is so friendly and helpful. You will have a great many kids on either Grandeur or the Pride. Grandeur is an older ship but is well kept and clean. Kennedy Space Center is a great excursion.

We are looking to book a family cruise out of Baltimore, MD in June 2019. The two ships that sail from this port are the Grandeur of the Seas and the Carnival Pride. The Grandeur is a 9 night while the Pride is a seven night. The cost of sailing is almost equal but the costs for the Grandeur ports would be more for us. Overall the Grandeur would cost us more but it is 2 additional nights.

We have sailed on the Pride 3 times and only sailed on RCI (Explorer of the Seas) once out of Bayonne, NJ.

Looking to see if anyone has done both or at least the Grandeur and another Carnival ship for comparisons. Also on port ideas for the Grandeur ports (Canaveral; Miami; Key West)

Thanks in advance for any information.

Sailed the Grandeur last August. The ship is geared for the older crowd. While we were ranging in age from 21 to 74, the entertainment was big band music most night in atrium. Shows were 50's and 60's ....one night it was the man who wrote the "Happy Days" theme song. First night there was basically nothing after 9 pm. You can even gamble until the next day....(not a RCCL thing, it's a Maryland law change) The cruise director was basically non-existent and the activities by the pool were few and far between.

IMHO the Carnival Pride is the better choice.....more to do, better food options especially with Guy's Burgers and the Blue Iguana (I think thats what its called) More actvities on pool deck and I think the entertainment is better.

daljcl:

Thanks for the info, we have actually found that the Adventure of the Seas, which has just been renovated is sailing out of Bayonne, NJ. This port is under 15 minutes from us and an 8 night for a few dollars less than the Grandeur. It would save us the 3+ hour drive to Baltimore and the parking as we could get rides to the port. We have been on the Explorer which is the same class ship as the AoS and loved it. The rest of our group has never been on RCI so it will be a first. We have everyone coming over this week to vote on either the Grandeur or the Adventure. With your help and the fact that the Adventure goes to Bermuda it looks like that will be our choice.

Thanks in advance if anyone has info on the AoS sailing out of Port Liberty, NJ.

daljcl:

Thanks for the info, we have actually found that the Adventure of the Seas, which has just been renovated is sailing out of Bayonne, NJ. This port is under 15 minutes from us and an 8 night for a few dollars less than the Grandeur. It would save us the 3+ hour drive to Baltimore and the parking as we could get rides to the port. We have been on the Explorer which is the same class ship as the AoS and loved it. The rest of our group has never been on RCI so it will be a first. We have everyone coming over this week to vote on either the Grandeur or the Adventure. With your help and the fact that the Adventure goes to Bermuda it looks like that will be our choice.

Thanks in advance if anyone has info on the AoS sailing out of Port Liberty, NJ.

What kind of info are you seeking ?

daljcl:

That's funny because we are sailing the Adventure of the Seas this June.We have sailed the EOS out of here also. Loved it! The Liberty too when it was here was awesome! Only a thirty minute ride on the turnpike for us. Better than 3 hours to Maryland....price was right, dates were right for us.

daljc:

We are leaning toward the AoS as it is so close to home and we would be able to get rides to the port. This would save us the cost of parking and save us from the 3 hour drive. We have never been to Bermuda so that is a plus. Having been on the Explorer I know the family will love the whole promenade and the many upgrades I have seen after the recent dry dock.

I am 59 days out for my next cruise but then I will have to wait for this one the following June. I need to have something to look forward to.

Have you been to Bermuda? Are the public beaches free and walkable from the ship?

Same dilemma here! We live near Baltimore, and did the Pride last summer. Now trying to decide between the Grandeur out of Baltimore, or driving the 3.5 hrs to Bayonne for the Adventure. We have kids 9, 13, and 16- the short drive, and 9 days on the Grandeur and ports are more appealing (Bermuda, Nassau, CocoCay) vs the longer drive, and 7 days on the Adventure with Orlando, Nassau, and Coco.

Does the Grandeur have an arcade for kids, free soft serve, etc? How is the family pool and hot tubs? That was their biggest draw last time! How are the evening shows?

Same dilemma here! We live near Baltimore, and did the Pride last summer. Now trying to decide between the Grandeur out of Baltimore, or driving the 3.5 hrs to Bayonne for the Adventure. We have kids 9, 13, and 16- the short drive, and 9 days on the Grandeur and ports are more appealing (Bermuda, Nassau, CocoCay) vs the longer drive, and 7 days on the Adventure with Orlando, Nassau, and Coco.

Does the Grandeur have an arcade for kids, free soft serve, etc? How is the family pool and hot tubs? That was their biggest draw last time! How are the evening shows?

Arcade - yes

Free soft serve - yes

Pool size is proportional to the ship's size

There are hot tubs

Easier to find/harder to lose your kids on a smaller ship. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailed the Grandeur last August. The ship is geared for the older crowd. While we were ranging in age from 21 to 74, the entertainment was big band music most night in atrium. Shows were 50's and 60's ....one night it was the man who wrote the "Happy Days" theme song. First night there was basically nothing after 9 pm. You can even gamble until the next day....(not a RCCL thing, it's a Maryland law change) The cruise director was basically non-existent and the activities by the pool were few and far between.

What cruise were you on? We were on the Aug 24 9-night to Bermuda and Bahamas.

Cruisin' Susan was the CD, and Tino was the AD. They were around all the time, and had things by the pool every day.

The cover band did 60 - 80s music. And they did have the 70 (slopped a bit into 80s music) dance party, that everyone can enjoy (who can't dance to YMCA :D ).

The South Pacific lounge was very quiet a couple of times when the cover band was playing, so we had a nice chat with them (from Poland).

There is an arcade, but I did not go in at all.

Yes on the free soft serve. From about 9 - 10am.

Outside pool is family and can get crowded. 4 hot tubs, two for anyone, two for adults only. Inside pool and hot tubs are adult only.

I enjoyed all the shows. Early comedy shows were family friendly, late shows were more adult, but not over the top.

Can't comment on anything but Royal, so I'm glad you changed your question :)

Grandeur has a special place in my heart, she is my favorite RC ship for many reasons that are intangible to most. However, if I were taking first timers I'd probably go for the ship with the Promenade to give a little more wow to my travel friends, unless I knew they would greatly appreciate something smaller due to mobility issues etc.

I'd also think that Bermuda would be the place I'd pick to show off to first time cruisers in general (although it sounds like you've got past cruisers - they're just new to RC). It's so nice, and there's more time in port.

HOWEVER... keep in mind the Atlantic can be rougher than the caribbean. Much like leaving out of Baltimore there is a few days to the first port, not first thing the next morning - so I'd bring some sea sickness meds along for the friends that INSIST that they don't get sea sick, just in case.

Judy