DIY Scandinavian Capitals Report - Oslo, Stockholm, Helsinki, Copenhagen

Carole -- how did you find out about this switch? (X's web site merely shows "Tallinn" under the detailed itinerary for your cruise.) We are on the Infinity the month before, now I think I should call Celebrity to check...

Well, I just answered my own question. That information about Muuga is *buried* several layers deep on X's web site, not shown on the daily itinerary where it should be. My cruise says Muuga too, all those layers in, not on the daily itinerary. I am going to call X in the morning to see what I can find out. Not happy about this (and not happy at X burying it this way).

Thanks so much for posting. Doing similar itinerary next year. Question for Tallinn our port has been changed to Muuga (the commercial port for Tallinn) which is some 12km away. Did you use a taxi/transfer company to get into Tallinn? Any info on this port would be gratefully appreciated.

Carole

I'm afraid I don't have any information on Muuga, but I did just post my DIY Report for Tallinn. However, we were fortunate enough to be docked right near Old Town. I do have some taxi contact information in my post that may help... everything is here... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1905344

Thanks so much for posting. Doing similar itinerary next year. Question for Tallinn our port has been changed to Muuga (the commercial port for Tallinn) which is some 12km away. Did you use a taxi/transfer company to get into Tallinn? Any info on this port would be gratefully appreciated.

Carole

Bus 34a Doesn't quite go to the dock at MUUGA but does go from Muuga to Viru Square just outside of Old Town. It also stops at TELETORN, the TV Tower which offers a beautiful vista, information on technology in that part of the world and the historical role it played as Estonia reestablished its sovereignty, with hundreds of Estonian men, women and children peacefully protecting the vital communications link from a siege of Russian tanks in 1991. See the documentary "The Singing Revolution" available at Amazon or with individual parts on YOUTUBE.

http://soiduplaan.tallinn.ee/#bus/34a/a-b/21215-1/map/en

You might want to take a taxi to TELETORN and then catch a bus from there to Old Town.

• 1 month later...

Hi "VirtualRain"

Thanks for a great and informative review. You are indeed very talented.

How current is the information on Copenhagen concerning the HOP ON HOP OFF bus (City Sightseeing)? I noticed you posted it on Aug.15, 2013. Was that itinerary the one being used? Is the list of stops(Tour A Mermaid tour) current and up to date as far as the stops? I am planning to be in Copenhagen next year and what is shown on the map would be perfect for us. Anyone else with current informant please write in.

Thanks for your input................Voltdoc

HOHO Bus

All three companies mentioned in my introduction at the top of this thread operate here. While we opted to utilize public transit, we know several people that utilized the HOHO in Copenhagen. One couple that used the Red Buses company regretted their choice (they just hopped on the first HOHO bus they saw). They said it was run by a Russian company and they were left temporarily stranded when the bus they were on broke down. They had to wait until the next bus in circulation caught up to them. There were not impressed. Hence, I would avoid the “Red Bus” company. Use City Sightseeing (also red buses with yellow lettering) or the Open Top Tours company (green buses).

Here are their websites:

City Sightseeing (175DKK):

Open Top Tours (195DKK):

Red Bus (25 Euro)

Tour A - Red Line

Stops

Adults DKK 175 (€ 25)

Duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes

Frequency: Every 30 minutes

Operation Period First departure Frequency Last departure

May 1 - Sep 30 9.30 am 30 minutes 4.30 pm

Upgrade to

All Line

Ticket

Children

50% off

1) Tivoli & Radisson Royal Hotel: On Vesterbrogade in front

of Radisson Hotel

2) Marriott Hotel: Sightseeing stop at Kalvebod Brygge

3) The Black Diamond: Sightseeing stop at The Royal Library at

Christians Brygge

4) Strøget: Sightseeing stop at Højbro Plads/Amager Torv

5) Nyhavn & Kongens Nytorv: At Holdbergsgade by Nyhavn

Bridge

6) Amalienborg Royal Palace: Sightseeing Busstop by

Admiral Hotel

7) Gefion Fountain, Resistance Museum, St. Albans Church &

Copenhagen Fortress Kastellet In front of the Gefion Fountain

8) Gustavs Church: Sightseeing stop at Folke Bernadottes Allé

9) Cruise Terminal at Langelinie Pier: Sightseeing Busstop

Southbound on Langelinie Pier

10) Cruise Terminal Southbound at Langelinie Pier: Sightseeing

Busstop Southbound midway at Langelinie Pier

11) Langelinie Pier Shops & Cafés

12) The Little Mermaid: Sightseeing stop at the Roundabout

13) Rosenborg Castle, National Gallery & Botanical Gardens:

On Østervold in front of the Main Entrance to Rosenborg Castle

14) H.C. Ørstedsparken: Sightseeing stop at Nørre Voldgade

Thanks for the detailed info. I love Ho/ho buses for getting around town and cramming in as much as you can in one day. I have made note of some facts that you have answered for me.

Your photos are beautiful and as an offside, I was wondering what type of camera you used?

Thanks for the detailed info. I love Ho/ho buses for getting around town and cramming in as much as you can in one day. I have made note of some facts that you have answered for me.

Your photos are beautiful and as an offside, I was wondering what type of camera you used?

Thanks. I use a Canon 5D Mark III... I wrote a bit of an essay on my photography process here...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=35864556&postcount=12

Hi "VirtualRain"

Thanks for a great and informative review. You are indeed very talented.

How current is the information on Copenhagen concerning the HOP ON HOP OFF bus (City Sightseeing)? I noticed you posted it on Aug.15, 2013. Was that itinerary the one being used? Is the list of stops(Tour A Mermaid tour) current and up to date as far as the stops? I am planning to be in Copenhagen next year and what is shown on the map would be perfect for us. Anyone else with current informant please write in.

Thanks for your input................Voltdoc

Hi, thank you for the kind words.

My info is from my research and trip this summer (2013). I didn't actually use the HOHO in Copenhagen, so I can't confirm if their published information is correct or not, but I have no reason to believe it's not accurate.

Edited by VirtualRain

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Thanks VR for the excellent report.

Question:

Can you give me an approx. distance from Langeline pier to Tivoli Gradens? I know folks say Copenhagen is a very walkable city. However, getting to the city center has me questioning the distance. Also, is the HOHO bus stop near the where the ship docks?

Thanks

Thanks VR for the excellent report.

Question:

Can you give me an approx. distance from Langeline pier to Tivoli Gradens? I know folks say Copenhagen is a very walkable city. However, getting to the city center has me questioning the distance. Also, is the HOHO bus stop near the where the ship docks?

Thanks

I can't tell you the distance off hand, but Google Maps should be able to tell you. The city bus I mentioned is ideal for getting to Tivoli. The HOHO buses do make a stop right next to the ship if I recall correctly.

Hi again VR,

I know from when I went to the Greek Isles that you do beautiful photography. Any suggestions as to why I can't load the pictures from this review?

Yes, I changed photo hosting providers last year, and unfortunately, this site won't let me edit the post to update the photo links.

However, you can find the photos on my Flickr account...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/chris-mccormack/collections/72157649739738739/