Oceana: Mykonos

kruzseeka

It is a few years since we last visited Mykonos but there is a new berth. The old one was some distance round the bay and shuttle buses took you to a drop off point on the edge of the harbour and close to town. The new one is quite a bit further out than the old port - but free shuttles are provided.

However there are a few things which need to be borne in mind:-

- It's not advisable to walk- it's quite a long way, it's a busy road and has no pavement

- the new drop off point is considerably further away from the harbour than the old drop off - the area has been redeveloped and the shuttle drop off/pick-up is in what appears to be a new bus/coach station. There is a pleasant walk along the water's edge to the harbour - but it is quite a step, perhaps the best part of half a mile. Not a problem if you're OK walking but might be an issue for some.

There is, however a water bus which runs from close to the ship and where the shuttle picks you up. This goes into the harbour in Mykonos so you avoid the walk from the coach station to the main part of town.

We made a decision not to travel back to the ship by the shuttle and instead caught the water bus. It ran half hourly on the hour and half past and cost €2. Lots of fellow passengers did the same.

Another time we'd take the water taxi both ways. Mykonos is a great place to explore and in the heat saving a bit of energy by not having to walk from and back to the shuttle may be something others may wish to consider too.

That sounds a good recommendation. I have trouble walking very far so the water taxi sounds great. Is it obvious where the water taxi goes from - you say it's near where the ship berths? I have heard people say it's a port where a tender being required can be an advantage. I don't know yet whether we'll be tendering or docking. We'll be visiting Mykonos at the beginning of October.

That sounds a good recommendation. I have trouble walking very far so the water taxi sounds great. Is it obvious where the water taxi goes from - you say it's near where the ship berths? I have heard people say it's a port where a tender being required can be an advantage. I don't know yet whether we'll be tendering or docking. We'll be visiting Mykonos at the beginning of October.

When we first went to Mykonos we were tendered in as there was no berth for cruise ships. The tender dropped you at the harbour - where this water bus operates from to go back to the ship. If you tender you are right in town so that's good and why you have heard it can be an advantage.

The water bus pick up near the cruise ship is right outside the port gate, is well signed and in the same vicinity of where the shuttles pick up. I've found this link which gives you the schedule and a map which shows the relative positions of the new port, coach station and Mykonos Old Town. The coach station is where the shuttle bus stops and as you will see it's on the opposite side of the harbour from the water bus stop at Mykonos Old Town. As the 'business end' of the main sights (the windmills, Little Venice) are at the back of the harbour at the water bus Old Town stop, you'll cut out a fair bit of walking as compared with the shuttle drop off.

https://www.mykonos-seabus.gr/

I would certainly recommend using the water bus as if you are limited in how far you can walk you will want to get as close to the centre as possible. It's a gem. Enjoy.

There is the danger of overcrowding with the water busses having between 84 and 150 capacity, say 110. with a 30 minute departure that's 220 people per hour!

edit I just measured the distance between the bus station and the end of the pier in the old town, it is half a mile so if you can walk it is a safer option

Take a hat - it’s an open boat and the sun beats down as you wait for departure

Actually there is a lower level on the water bus too. But I do take your point, if the weather is as hot and sunny as it was (everywhere) during our cruise last month - you'll need your hat all day! As the dock where the water bus stops is out in the open, even if you elect to go 'underneath' on the water bus there is no shade whilst you are waiting. So worth being prepared.

annieuk - you are very welcome. Hope you enjoy the trip as much as we did.

We have just visited Mykonos and took the shuttle bus .. There is a lovely restaurant on the walk in with tables right on the shore.. Eating delicious food in the sun with clear water gently moving .. heaven