Kenai Fjords cruise and seasickness

Fairfield Nana

Thought I'd try this question on this website--it pertains to the Kenai Fjord Nat'l Park cruise that HAL conducts out of Anchorage/Seward-- in mid-May is the cruise to/from the Fjords relatively calm or more on the rough side. Realize sea changes can happen anytime, but curious about possible seasickness. Plan to bring some meds just in case. Looks like tons of info on this site about types of meds and ways to prepare to fight "yucky tummy".

To cruise Kenai Fjords, the boat has to sail through the Gulf of Alaska from Resurrection Bay (where Seward is) to the fjords. So for part of the beginning and the end of the trip, the water can be rougher. Once in the fjord, the water should be pretty calm.

If someone tends to get seasick it would be wise to take medication ahead of time. BTW, I didn't notice anyone getting seasick the time we took the boat tour. But if they don't and feel the motion, it may help to know that the boat is only on the open ocean for part of the tour and will soon be in calmer water.

One time we did turn back and got a partial refund, but twice we were offered full refunds before we even left the dock.

On one tour I decided to take the refund, but DD went and said that there was a large group from Japan who may not have understood the refund offer or how rough the sea was that day. They were sick for hours on the boat.

Maybe I’m just unlucky, but it seems that calm seas on this tour are rare.