Cheapo dad's trip report on Freedom of the Seas

harryfat1

To BobMac – another reason for not having a pre-set pick up van is we don’t have to sit and wait. On the Allure, the other driver couldn’t find us and I had problem finding him. The picture below is from previous cruise picture from the Allure as I was trying to talk to the driver of the van to tell him where we were. Easier if you just get the van at the dockside and go instead of of waiting. Of course, you have to pay few dollars more per head and go to cheapo anonymous afterward

Now I understand. As Windjamming noted, you are more about ROI. When you factor in the value of your time, this is actually a cheaper way to go. Genius.

Harry, thanks again for the outstanding review! I apologize for asking the following question if it has been asked already on the FEW pages of your review. [emoji16]

Do you have any favorite places up high on the ship that allow for a wonderful view, with comfy seats and air-conditioning? On sea days, I love nothing more than relaxing somewhere not too crowded with my trusty Kindle, without frying in the sun, and with the bonus of a great view of the ocean (and maybe a pool view too).

Am I asking too much on the Freedom?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Now I understand. As Windjamming noted, you are more about ROI. When you factor in the value of your time, this is actually a cheaper way to go. Genius.

Oh, no, no genius. Just lazy. I have always said a lazy man is an efficient man.

I was kind of tired by the end of the cruise and didn’t feel like calling and arranging for a last minute van ride and have to sit/stand there to wait as they won’t come to the port even with reservation until you have cleared customs.

In the previous pick up, I got a deal because I booked ahead of time and negotiated with the online sales people. Not sure what they would charge me on a last minute reservation. If I had already booked something, obviously I would stand in the Florida heat and wait for them to show up. Seeing I have nothing booked, wasn’t sure it was worth the hassle to book and then wait.

Harry, thanks again for the outstanding review! I apologize for asking the following question if it has been asked already on the FEW pages of your review. [emoji16]

Do you have any favorite places up high on the ship that allow for a wonderful view, with comfy seats and air-conditioning? On sea days, I love nothing more than relaxing somewhere not too crowded with my trusty Kindle, without frying in the sun, and with the bonus of a great view of the ocean (and maybe a pool view too).

Am I asking too much on the Freedom?

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. So what are you saying, you can’t find info easily in the FEW pages of this brief trip report?

You know, I am not the sitting type on vacation. But from what I have seen, if you want indoor AC and quiet place to read and comfy seats with view of ocean, I would try the Viking Crown Lounge. We were only there at night but just imagine this view in day time.

32361863095_864757bf61_b.jpg

32241515341_03674cb97d_b.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. So what are you saying, you can’t find info easily in the FEW pages of this brief trip report?

You know, I am not the sitting type on vacation. But from what I have seen, if you want indoor AC and quiet place to read and comfy seats with view of ocean, I would try the Viking Crown Lounge. We were only there at night but just imagine this view in day time.

32361863095_864757bf61_b.jpg

32241515341_03674cb97d_b.jpg

Just what I was looking for, Harry! I hit all extremes. I love to walk around (we logged 18 miles one day in DC -- I thought hubby was going to abandon me at the end of that day [emoji16]), but I also need down time to recharge between bouts of frenzied activities. [emoji23]

Looks perfect for ocean and people watching, and a bit of chatting with others who find themselves there. [emoji1360]

Before I get started on the last series of photo uploads, I’m looking for recommendations on using reliable DVD slideshow software.

What do you folks use to make a slideshow DVD with music? Nothing fancy or expensive, just some basic features is fine. My old Corel software is bombing out on me so looking to get something else.

Would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

The whole downtown area is really quiet compared to what we saw prior to the cruise as it’s a Saturday and a Christmas Eve so there’s weren’t too many people in the area that day.

32300726840_1c634cdc4b_b.jpg

32679724225_f758a46a7e_b.jpg

32526974482_ce3ebc44e3_b.jpg

32639035146_4ccb5471ca_b.jpg

Colorful center section of streets of Fort Lauderdale

32557665121_5e1fd01036_b.jpg

Harry,

Great idea to store luggage at the airport and go to Las Olas. My flight isn't until almost 7 pm. Better than the boring ship excursion I had previously signed up for. I will go to Las Olas too. Thank you for the idea! I also have a private table in the MDR, which I got by emailing RCL dining. Great ideas on these boards!

Harry,

Great idea to store luggage at the airport and go to Las Olas. My flight isn't until almost 7 pm. Better than the boring ship excursion I had previously signed up for. I will go to Las Olas too. Thank you for the idea! I also have a private table in the MDR, which I got by emailing RCL dining. Great ideas on these boards!

Just make sure you get the app so you know when the next trolley is coming. It only comes once per hour.

So after lunch, it’s time to think dinner. As we knew we would be eating dinner on the plane, it was time to try and buy something around downtown instead of at the airport as we all know the airport food sucks and expensive to boot.

Looking at the Google maps, there were couple of sandwich shops around the Cheesecake Factory. So we walked over there looking go get some take out and bring back to airport. Only one problem - they are closed on Christmas Eve. So do keep that in mind if you are traveling n holiday season, not all the places will open.

After walking around and seeing many places closed, we just gave up and resigned to the airport food. So we walked back to the water front park area to just sit and chill out and watch the expensive boats sail by.

31836628944_40f94bcdfc_b.jpg

All of us remembered coming here back in 2007’s Caribbean cruise and this place was bustling with activity. Now the entire mall area is closed down.

31867212863_d139ef8878_b.jpg

31867210343_9c65a48077_b.jpg

31867207273_b13d034d80_b.jpg

31836609044_f769cccf13_b.jpg

After chilling out at the park for a while, it was time to head back to the bus stop to catch the trolley back. It was supposed to come by the downtown area every hour around the 40 after time. Well, that day being Christmas Eve, I think the bus lady made a social stop to do some last minute shopping as the app had her taking off at least ½ mile away from the route to do whatever before showing up almost 20 minutes late. OK, whatever, it’s free bus and before Christmas so nobody complained.

Due note that the last trolley is 5 PM so don’t plan to stay in downtown too late unless you plan to come back via taxi. So our trolley was the next to the last one for the day and it was crowded going back with some people having to stand.

So the trolley got us back to FLL around 4:20. Went to take back our luggage and many other people that were going back to the colder climate used the big empty space on the bottom floor to open up their suitcases and got dressed warmly for the plane ride home and the inevitable blast of cold when they will feel getting off the plane.

Back at FLL airport

32300265080_e6e6fc1b81_b.jpg

We changed out of shorts but I kept my t-shirt on and just left my jacket in the luggage at the front zipper area as I was still feeling warm but the rest of the family got their sweat shirts for the plane ride home. I always feel too warm on the planes.

With all the space around the suitcase storage area, you can take your warm weather clothes out and use the bathroom right there to change.

32638639506_0056b85923_b.jpg

Ok, after checking in with Virgin America and paying the expensive $25/pp luggage fee, time to get through the wonderful TSA people and get to the gate. The best option for dinner looks like Shula Burger but it’s not cheap. For the “gourmet burger”, it was almost $9 and that doesn’t include drinks or fries. I miss being on eth cruise where there’s no money issue if you don’t want to pay extra for food In the real world, there’s price on every food item.

32526587562_9e93116f9b_b.jpg

32526582632_960e9afef8_b.jpg

So after that, there’s not much to do except checking on the phone and wait. Now it’s the time to check the phone and email and internet as there’s a limited option at the airport. I always hate flying westward after a cruise. Besides going against the jet stream which makes the trip a 6.5 hours nonstop flight instead of 5.5 going to FLL, the ide of the vacation ending is never a good feeling.

I have always appreciate the GPS on the plane so you know where you are and how long it takes to get home. Not landing until 9:30 California tie or 12:30 Florida time which is what we got used to by then. Amazing how cold the temperate is at 34,000 feet.

32557292311_c067d14bb1_b.jpg

32557285161_349c8fef1b_b.jpg

Add to that having to get the van and drive home. Uggh, remind me what was the glamour side of vacation again?

Oh, yeah, the glamour side is eating lukewarm over-priced burgers sitting on the plane in a cramp space on Christmas Eve.

32557278901_6e607ea799_b.jpg

After eating the burger, I was drifting between half asleep and semi-awake stage for the next 2+ hours. Somewhere near Vegas, my flat butt/back started to complain again.

31866995043_94e4c244a7_b.jpg

32679277075_c37e084371_b.jpg

We're back in CA.

Felt that cold blast of the cold air at the first step off the plane. It wasn’t as cold as Buffalo or other northern cities but at 40 degrees, it was half as warm as Florida. Burrr. I need my suitcase now.

The same area in SFO where we had to wait 2.5+ hours pre cruise is now totally quiet.

31867002143_f543e7035f_b.jpg

32557275691_ca1e8fd21a_b.jpg

The last picture of the cruise is the baggage claim area. As promised, this is the airport to airport coverage of the whole trip.

31866998663_3d82cf639b_b.jpg

Whether this was a good or bad trip report, you folks can be the judge but I promised the mail man route in stopping at every major/minor areas, I think at least did that. Quality I can’t promise. Quantity, I can.

It will come as a surprise to no one that I will have few closing remarks later on to wrap things up. You wouldn’t think I just walk away like this, right?

I can't believe it's over! I've really enjoyed reading every day. Well done, Harry!

We're flying to Las Vegas from D.C. on Virgin America next month. It'll be our first time on that carrier. Anything we should know?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Before I get started on the last series of photo uploads, I’m looking for recommendations on using reliable DVD slideshow software.

What do you folks use to make a slideshow DVD with music? Nothing fancy or expensive, just some basic features is fine. My old Corel software is bombing out on me so looking to get something else.

Would appreciate any suggestion.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

Hey Harry,

I have a Mac for doing stuff like this from time to time, but if you're a PC user, I found this link with some options, although I can't vouch for any of them personally:

Best Photo Slideshow Software of 2017

Good luck & as always an excellent review! Which ship are you sailing on in December? I thought I remembered something about Celebrity 40-50 pages back? :)

Thank you for a great review. As a resident of Arizona, I also appreciated the rock detours.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you for the compliment. Arizona is great place to visit for people that loves rocks and mountains. Only drawback is the summer heat is a killer.

But we’re thinking of driving down there again this summer to see the Grand Canyon so we’ll see how it goes.